Has the name of a band ever "put you off" from listening to them???

Space coyote

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I avoided Porcupine Tree for
years
because I thought that their name sounded like insipid, proggy twaddle.

Finally, I gave them a chance, and they're my favorite band that plays insipid, proggy twaddle.

I've gotta say that I avoided PT for years based on the name, but just because I thought the name was silly. I like insipid, proggy twaddle a lot, so if I'd known better, I'd have become a fan sooner.

I also really like the phrase "insipid, proggy twaddle."

• Members

yeah, The black dahlia murder. I didnt listened to them for years and one time i was in a friend's car and i didnt know what was playing and it was them. They are now among my favorite band.

• Members

These guys and Anal ****....I just dont see what the could possibly offer me.

Butthole Surfers are great, and pretty damn influential. A.C. is horrible, intentionally so. They're a joke band full of death metal and hardcore stars from other groups.

Watch for the Flea cameo:

CNAkbbKycCM

• Members

Surely the Beatles.

They may have been one of the early big ones, but come on, Led Zeppelin is the more iconic

Misspelling.. And I have no proof to my statement, just monkeeing around (see what I did there), but if you were to ask what misspelled name made more bands think of a similar misspellings, I'm gonna have to say zeppelin

• Members

A.C. is horrible, intentionally so.

Quick story. So we played with Anal **** on a number of occasions.. The first time he came down to the green room already {censored}ed up pretty good..we are just down there after or set getting our party on. The promoter, who was a buddy of mine, offered him some coke.. About an 8 ball,.I'd say. He preceded to make some obnoxious snorting sounds as he did the entire bag in about 3 minutes. He then went and pissed in the corner, all the while his band was upstairs starting without him..lol

• Members

Quick story. So we played with Anal **** on a number of occasions.. The first time he came down to the green room already {censored}ed up pretty good..we are just down there after or set getting our party on. The promoter, who was a buddy of mine, offered him some coke.. About an 8 ball,.I'd say. He preceded to make some obnoxious snorting sounds as he did the entire bag in about 3 minutes. He then went and pissed in the corner, all the while his band was upstairs starting without him..lol

That's hilarious. :lol:

• Members

{censored}ing LULZ!

• Members

Anything with random numbers in the name - Blink 182, Sum 41, SR-71, etc.

Random numbers in a band name means you know it's garbage.

Anybody other than Hendrix who uses "Experience" in their name.

Tag & The Know-Tone Experience. DIE

• Members

How is At the Gates an offputting metal band name?

Just wondering what your thought process was.

Probably all the bands that sound exactly like At the Gates with similar names that have sucked over the years? And that's coming from a guy who likes plenty of metalcore. :lol:

• Members
Anybody other than Hendrix who uses "Experience" in their name.

Tag & The Know-Tone Experience. DIE

If there was a Henry Kaiser Experience...

...they would totally live up to the hype of the term "experience". Experiencing their music probably wouldn't be a very pleasing experience, though. :lol:

• Members
Probably all the bands that sound exactly like At the Gates with similar names that have sucked over the years? And that's coming from a guy who likes plenty of metalcore.
:lol:

But the 'hype' behind them was similar to early In Flames and early Dark Tranquility (which all deliver in awesomeness): pioneers of the genre. Hence why I don't get it.

And the movie At The Gates was cool from what I remember, so maybe I just don't have the mental stygma he does :lol:

• Members

But the 'hype' behind them was similar to early In Flames and early Dark Tranquility (which all deliver in awesomeness): pioneers of the genre. Hence why I don't get it.

And the movie At The Gates was cool from what I remember, so maybe I just don't have the mental stygma he does
:lol:

But if you didn't know they were the pioneers of the genre....I'd never heard of At the Gates until just a few years ago. I know, :facepalm::lol:

Archived