So, Meshuggah...

spawnofthesith

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what's math about meshuggah?

they have a complex drummer, that's where it ends. the guitars groove. even when they are speed picking.

mashuggeh, bast getar evar.

exactly, dude needs to learn his genres. even the drums aren't that complex, they groove hard live. that's what sets them apart from young metal bands, they're tight and precise.

• Members

{censored}ing bleed, what's that?

4/4 and gallop picked throughout.

and this {censored}ing beast of a song, probably the best song of this {censored}ing millenium, the drums are in 4/4. but the guitars play a different time signature. so complex, it must be math, right? no, it's just polymetric.

CUuXiAsV7BQ

• Members

I'm onboard with what Overdriven said, kinda. I can listen to DEI all day long even Chaosphere. The last 4 though, it's tough to make it all the way through. I don't know if it's the produtction, or the lack of melody or the constant grooving, but they are better to me when they're broken up by other bands.

• Members

I'm onboard with what Overdriven said, kinda. I can listen to DEI all day long even Chaosphere. The last 4 though, it's tough to make it all the way through. I don't know if it's the produtction, or the lack of melody or the constant grooving, but they are better to me when they're broken up by other bands.

Thats really interesting, because I am almost the exact opposite :lol: I can listen to their more recent groovier material all day long, but I tend to need more breaks with the older stuff. Except for Future Breed Machine, I can listen to that {censored} on repeat :rawk:

• Members

Well, I know I'm gonna sound like a "poser" (Goddamn haven't heard that word in I don't know how long!!! LOL) but I really really loved DEI and Chaosphere, however, I've gotta say, I just can't get into anything they've done after that...I was so pumped to get Nothing, and when it came out and I bought it I remember listening to it and being so disappointed...again, I know, I'm gonna sound like an asshole or "poser" for saying this, but to me it was like after Choasphere they became a Meshuggah wanna-be band, trying to be what DEI and Chaosphere were but the only thing they kept the same were the odd time signatures...instead of the energy and intensity on DEI and Chaosphere, they started playing everything with a half-time feel and even though the time signatures were just as complex the riffs were much simpler and tuned all the way down to the {censored}ing Marianas Trench LOL (but seriously, I think the Nothing album was down to {censored}ing F#!!!!! I mean tuning down a guitar to a whole step above the open E on a bass, to the point where they kicked out the bass player (that's what I remember reading in an interview with them anyways)...I don't know, I just don't get it, I mean it's great for what it is and all, and at some level I can appreciate it, but it just doesn't really even seem like the same band that did DEI and Chaosphere. Again, that's just my opinion, but I just can't help but feel that, especially considering how many thousands of hours I spent listening to DEI and Chaosphere back in the day.

• Members

Two things I'm observing here:

1)It's pretty weird for everyone to say how awesome they are but be fully accepting to the idea that they aren't the "best". Like, absolutely no one is passionate enough about them to go full on "Tool fan" mode (you all know what that means).

2)Meshuggah is kinda' the perfect proof that ""new" vs "old" [insert band here] is better" largely depends on when you got into them. I can't understand people who think that Tool's first album is their best, but I didn't get into them until Lateralus. I think that In Flames still makes great music, but I didn't get into them until well, WELL after Clayman. And, I think that post-Catch 33 Meshuggah is way better than pre-Catch 33...

...New Metallica sucks no matter what, though...

• Members

is better" largely depends on when you got into them. I can't understand people who think that Tool's first album is their best, but I didn't get into them until Lateralus. I think that In Flames still makes great music, but I didn't get into them until well, WELL after Clayman. And, I think that post-Catch 33 Meshuggah is way better than pre-Catch 33...

...New Metallica sucks no matter what, though...

music isn't a competition, there is no "best".

• Members

Well, I know I'm gonna sound like a "poser" (Goddamn haven't heard that word in I don't know how long!!! LOL) but I really really loved DEI and Chaosphere, however, I've gotta say, I just can't get into anything they've done after that...I was so pumped to get Nothing, and when it came out and I bought it I remember listening to it and being so disappointed...again, I know, I'm gonna sound like an asshole or "poser" for saying this, but to me it was like after Choasphere they became a Meshuggah wanna-be band, trying to be what DEI and Chaosphere were but the only thing they kept the same were the odd time signatures...instead of the energy and intensity on DEI and Chaosphere, they started playing everything with a half-time feel and even though the time signatures were just as complex the riffs were much simpler and tuned all the way down to the {censored}ing Marianas Trench LOL (but seriously, I think the Nothing album was down to {censored}ing F#!!!!! I mean tuning down a guitar to a whole step above the open E on a bass, to the point where they kicked out the bass player (that's what I remember reading in an interview with them anyways)...I don't know, I just don't get it, I mean it's great for what it is and all, and at some level I can appreciate it, but it just doesn't really even seem like the same band that did DEI and Chaosphere. Again, that's just my opinion, but I just can't help but feel that, especially considering how many thousands of hours I spent listening to DEI and Chaosphere back in the day.

I don't even know where to begin... but I will say this, no they definitely did not kick out their bassist :lol:

Archived