So, Meshuggah...

spawnofthesith

• Members

Meshuggah is a weird band. I love how pissed off and brutal their songs are, but I can only take them in small doses because they quickly become very monotonous and boring. They're perfect for throwing into a mix with other heavy music, but I wouldn't sit there and listen through an entire album at once.

this

DEI is the exception though - I love that album through and through and think it's easily their pinnacle.

They are a killer live band to see though, f'sho.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

music isn't a competition, there is no "best".

I didn't say there was. I was making an observation. Most of the time people, especially on forums, use absolutes. Meshuggah is one of the rare cases where even fervent fans pretty well all agree Meshuggah is not an absolute. There's a distinct lack of commitment amongst Meshuggah fans.

• Members

is better" largely depends on when you got into them. I can't understand people who think that Tool's first album is their best, but I didn't get into them until Lateralus. I think that In Flames still makes great music, but I didn't get into them until well, WELL after Clayman. And, I think that post-Catch 33 Meshuggah is way better than pre-Catch 33...

This holds true somewhat but for example, the first time I heard/got into In Flames until I heard Come Clarity, but upon hearing their discography I became a pre-reroute fan. I do believe IF still puts out good music, but its still {censored}e in comparison to their old material

• Members

To boring for me.

And I do like long, grooving songs, but they are boring.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Members

I didn't say there was. I was making an observation. Most of the time people, especially on forums, use absolutes. Meshuggah is one of the rare cases where even fervent fans pretty well all agree Meshuggah is not an absolute. There's a distinct lack of commitment amongst Meshuggah fans.

To me that just means that on the whole Meshuggah fans are pretty mature people. The music is just not accessible enough for rabid fandom. Lots of people that do listen to and like Meshuggah understand why other people would not like them.

• Members

To me that just means that on the whole Meshuggah fans are pretty mature people. The music is just not accessible enough for rabid fandom. Lots of people that do listen to and like Meshuggah understand why other people would not like them.

exactly, they're not a flash in the pan, they're respected and sell out everytime they come here. rabid fandom is for geeks

• Members

I agree with much of the above. I do like them, but I can only listen to so much at a time. It drags on boringly after a few songs.

I also agree that DEI is a masterpiece and much better than modern Meshuggah.

• Members

This holds true somewhat but for example, the first time I heard/got into In Flames until I heard Come Clarity,
but upon hearing their discography I became a pre-reroute fan
. I do believe IF still puts out good music, but its still {censored}e in comparison to their old material

Similar thing goes for me. It's just that I still like the newer stuff as apposed to old school fans who act like each album after Claymen has been a crime against humanity.

• Members

So, show last night was pretty damn cool.

Decapitated....ok, well, they sucked. I don't think tech-death translates to a larger venue well. The HoB isn't a big venue, but its not like its some tiny packed club either and their security was pretty anal about the crowd not getting rowdy, especially early. I felt kinda bad for them, but they were lame. Good players, but...I've been spoiled on quality death metal lately.

Baroness killed it. Great stage presence, great tones, the vocals were as good as any live video I've seen of them. They are a bit out of place on this tour, but they are talented enough that after the crowd which doesn't know them get's over the instrumental interludes they're pretty won over.

Meshuggah, well, they pull it off live. Holy crap are they tight. I mean, HOLY CRAP are they tight. The mix was amazing as well. You could hear the guitars and bass super clear and the low frequencies just rumbled my chest all night. Their light show was amazing! Put one poor dude into seizures, which had to suck for him.

The whole show was done in 3 hours, which sucked as I'd have loved to see more Baroness, but it honestly was about the perfect amount for Meshuggah. I'm glad I caught those dudes live, but now I have, so I would have to think really hard about driving 6 hrs round trip to catch them again.

Good times and I discovered you can buy parking in a garage just around the corner from the HoB online for $8.50! Would've been like $28 otherwise! :eek:

*An aside, the HoB is quite the racket. Want to sit down? Minimum $10. Want a table? $40 for 2 people. Ok....I can stand for a few hours thanks. :lol:

• Members

I gots my flamesuit zipped up tight, but I finally got around to checking them out not long ago, and was just like, meh.

I'm not a giant fanboi, so the 1:00-1:15 of their set is about as much as I can handle at once, but I'm glad I saw them.

It was funny though, I called my wife on the drive home and she asks "How was the show?"

Me: Pretty Cool

Her: *pause* Just pretty cool?

Me: Well, it was cool, Baroness was great and Meshuggah was damn impressive, but I think I was spoiled by the Hank III show last week.

:lol:

Archived