Bicycle riders?

Crunchtime

• Members

What is up with bike riders nowadays? In my earlier days, I probably racked up millions of miles on Stingrays, BMX, 10 speeds, and mountain bikes.

I'm driving home on a two lane road with a two foot wide gravel section on each side. The speed limit is 55 and myself and four other vehicles are stuck going 10 mph because a trio of bikes are clogging the lane and there is no opportunity to pass between traffic and no pass zones.

Three guys in Lance Armstrong poser jerseys and spandex shorts are riding in a triangular formation and blocking traffic. :mad: WTF? Don't cry to me about right of way either. When you get on a bike and preach right of way you should also consider all other road factors such as impeding traffic. You want rights as a vehicle, you should abide to respecting other vehicles.

I've rode countless miles and always got to the side as best I could. I actually like to fly past them and honk my horn to freak them out. {censored} them. The assholes deserve it.

I'm sure that last sentence will cause some hate but, I'm sorry, this is pissing me off. I'm starting to see these guys everyday. They are acting like douches, imo.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is up with bike riders nowadays? In my earlier days, I probably racked up millions of miles on Stingrays, BMX, 10 speeds, and mountain bikes.

I'm driving home on a two lane road with a two foot wide gravel section on each side. The speed limit is 55 and myself and four other vehicles are stuck going 10 mph because a trio of bikes are clogging the lane and there is no opportunity to pass between traffic and no pass zones.

Three guys in Lance Armstrong poser jerseys and spandex shorts are riding in a triangular formation and blocking traffic.
:mad:
WTF? Don't cry to me about right of way either. When you get on a bike and preach right of way you should also consider all other road factors such as impeding traffic. You want rights as a vehicle, you should abide to respecting other vehicles.

I've rode countless miles and always got to the side as best I could. I actually like to fly past them and honk my horn to freak them out. {censored} them. The assholes deserve it.

I'm sure that last sentence will cause some hate but, I'm sorry, this is pissing me off. I'm starting to see these guys everyday.
They are acting like douches, imo.

And you're not?

If they are riding as you say, that's completely rude.

I get over as best I can, but there's only so far one can get over. I've never known a no pass zone to keep someone from going around me though.

I do like the responding to douchery with more douchery. That's what makes America great. :thu:

• Members

Three guys in Lance Armstrong poser jerseys and spandex shorts are riding in a triangular formation and blocking traffic.
:mad:
WTF? Don't cry to me about right of way either. When you get on a bike and preach right of way you should also consider all other road factors such as impeding traffic. You want rights as a vehicle, you should abide to respecting other vehicles.

I'm sure that last sentence will cause some hate but, I'm sorry, this is pissing me off. I'm starting to see these guys everyday. They are acting like douches, imo.

They should know to fall into a single file line in that situation. If they aren't trying, then they are being douches.

If a cyclist is trying to get out of your way, be patient. As Ovid mentioned, you can only go over so far.

Oh, as for team jerseys and stuff.... I hate it and never wear it. I have some cycling clothes because they are functional. But nothing with team logos. That irritates me to no end.

• Members

Also, I really only flew past blasting my horn once but it was classic. I was rolling and he was pissed. Flipped me off and I almost went i the ditch laughing. I was a safe distance when passing. Don't think otherwise.

• Members

I am a cyclist, but I see lots of cyclists who do nothing but foster bad relationships with auto drivers. Like a pervious poster said, if they are making an honest attempt to get over, please be patient. The shoulder on many roads are not safe (e.g., cracked, broken glass, rocks/sand, etc.). If they don't move over, then yes, they are douches that give the rest of us a bad name!!!

• Members

welp. there's a coupla things afoot.

a) they're taxpayers and they deserve room on the road.

b) they're on the road, and as such, should not be assholes.

you being an asshole to them is equal stupid to them being assholes to you. you're surrounded by a steel cage with airbags. they're basically dead if you {censored} with them-- so do the math. don't be an asshole anymore- you could kill someone, they're merely irritating.

i don't disagree- blocking traffic is stupid, and i log a couple thousand miles a year, and trust me, i see a lot of that kinda {censored}, and comment on it constantly because it undermines cyclists being treated well. i FOLLOW road rules, and get irritated by people who don't take my rights seriously-- but i'm one of few people actively trying to be a good road user. all that said-- there's a lot of dumb{censored}s who ruin it for everyone- and regardless-- passing stupidly and too close kind of reactions is basically like going to the grade school to pick fights- cyclists inevitably lose, so you HAVE to be the bigger man. address it with the local bike advocacy group and tell them what happened.

i still think cyclists should get tickets for that kind of {censored}... equal rights, equal responsibilities.

• Members

If they are really "riding delta formation"...well of course that is {censored}ed up.

But so is making a thread with a big generalization...most riders do not do this and you know it.

Also...kudos to you for using your big metal vehicle as a weapon. Bad enough we do it car-on-car. People take it for granted that these are death machines. Phoning, texting, makeup...I saw one driver reading a book driving a busy 6-lane city street.

The fact is...a bike is a vehicle and has every right to the full lane....sorry that it inconveniences you so. In fact it's recommended that you claim your lane and not ride on the shoulder/gutter. Do most bikers hog it? No...they do not. Aggressive auto drivers sure challenge a biker's fear though.

Having said that....real men ride dirt. :thu:

• Members

They've started ticketing cyclists who run red lights and drivers who go in the cycle boxes in Edinburgh.

Fair
:thu:

The weird thing is, most adult cyclists are also drivers so you think they'd realise who annoying it is to ride abreast and block cars.

MOST are. :idk:

And you are right...cyclists need held accountable and often are. They need to share the same rules and most importantly BENEFITS of the road. Auto drivers need to deal with it. Unfortunately...it is MOST OFTEN the auto drivers that are the jackasses. They hate auto drivers that abide by the rules, let alone cyclists.

• Members

I don't understand the new trend of the cyclists having to dress like they're in the Tour.

Where I live cycling is huge so sharing the road ain't no thang. I'm just mystified at the hundreds of people I see every day with Pro gear riding by on Lightspeeds.

I never realized that many people took it so seriously, and this coming from a former rider.

• Members

I don't understand the new trend of the cyclists having to dress like they're in the Tour.

Where I live cycling is huge so sharing the road ain't no thang. I'm just mystified at the hundreds of people I see every day with Pro gear riding by on Lightspeeds.

I never realized that many people took it so seriously, and this coming from a former rider.

especially with aero bars/helmets and team kits. :self face punch: :freak:

• Members
especially with aero bars/helmets and team kits. :self face punch:
:freak:

that's what I'm saying :freak:

I'm all for riding but man the number of people in team gear just makes me facepalm. When we used to ride only the hardcore guys showed up in full spandex for a leisure ride.

• Members

that's what I'm saying
:freak:

I'm all for riding but man the number of people in team gear just makes me facepalm. When we used to ride only the hardcore guys showed up in full spandex for a leisure ride.

fer serial. i still rock black shorts and a jersey... but the whole lycra billboard on top of hyperdecaled cheez whiz thing makes every dip{censored} on the road look like some satanic version of tron meets times square. no. can. do. fred.

• Members

Pretty much anytime I'm on a ride I'm in biking shorts and a t-shirt or workout shirt. Just what I'm used to riding in. I have a couple jerseys, but I'm too fat for them anymore sadly.

fer serial. i still rock black shorts and a jersey... but the whole lycra billboard on top of hyperdecaled cheez whiz thing makes every dip{censored} on the road look like
some satanic version of tron meets times square
. no. can. do. fred.

:lol:

• Members

Pisses me off when they want to take the back roads, I live off of a curvy road, and a lot of times there are cyclists riding them. You can't pass them because you have to cross the double yellow line, and may hit another car coming around a curve head on. Go ride on the bike trails! Then I guess they can't show off their tour gear...

• Members
fer serial. i still rock black shorts and a jersey... but the whole lycra billboard on top of hyperdecaled cheez whiz thing makes every dip{censored} on the road look like some satanic version of tron meets times square. no. can. do. fred.

:lol::thu:

Down here in Plano it seems like it's more of a fashion thing for some of em.

Hell, what am I saying? At least they're out riding. I'm usually driving by with my gut getting bigger :facepalm:

• Members

Pisses me off when they want to take the back roads, I live off of a curvy road, and a lot of times there are cyclists riding them. You can't pass them because you have to cross the double yellow line, and may hit another car coming around a curve head on. Go ride on the bike trails! Then I guess they can't show off their tour gear...

uh, sorry dude. taxpayer here. my roads too- and i do most of my riding, considerately, on rural roads. ain't about tour gear, there's LESS traffic, so i AM staying out of most people's way. so yeah, sorry bout the two wheeled inconvenience.

assholes are assholes, regardless of combustion or not. don't be one in either instance is my only suggestion.

Archived