Mako Makoplex 100W Head, Thoughts, Owners?

Hardvalve

• Members

Great amps, never owned one, but got a chance to play one. They are pretty versatile, they sound really good for both lead tones and crunch tones which isn't always the case. It had a kind of aggressiveness different than a Marshall, they sound very clear too. Low end wasn't huge, but wasn't lacking either.

• Members

More classic rock/hard rock, or will it do modern Death Metal? I have a couple of rack systems, but the thought of a great single channel amp with good build quality makes me tingle a bit. I noticed you said the low end was not huge, so curious.

• Members

More classic rock/hard rock, or will it do modern Death Metal? I have a couple of rack systems, but the thought of a great single channel amp with good build quality makes me tingle a bit. I noticed you said the low end was not huge, so curious.

Personally I think its voiced better for classic rock/hard rock, but you could definitely do modern Death Metal with it.

When I said the low end wasn't huge, I meant it didn't have the low end of something like a Recto, but more low end than a Jet City. Definitely voiced more in the Marshall camp as its name would imply.

• Members

I have my eye on this or a Deliverance 120. The Deliverance is a little more money, but the Mako is pretty rare, and just popped up locally. I do like Fryette quite a bit, and have a power amp by them, and owned a few of their amps. Wanting the single channel simplicity like I played back in my blues/rock days. There is something to an amp that cleans up with a volume knob. Just need the meaner side than a vintage Marshall or Ampeg has.

• Members

Haven't gotten a chance to play the head version but the makoplex channel on the mak4 kicks all kinds of ass. Can do thrash tones all day long and cuts through a mix so well. If I had to choose one id get the dorado but the makoplex is sweet. I have k100s so theres lots of bass.

• Members

Mine has tons of low end. The depth control (which is on the back of the amp) dials in more than enough low end. I keep mine around noon and I like a lot of low end. You can get plexi tones to hot rodded/boosted Marshall tones. It definitely would have been a highly sought after amp in the 80's and 90's when thrash was big. I love mine. Great amp that can be had for not a ton of money nowadays!

• Members

{censored}ing. Get. It. Now. I dont own the head, but Ive got the mak4 preamp which has the makoplex and dorado preamps on it, as well as 2 others. It sounds awesome. Ive been using it for my main rhythm tone for over a year, and I play metal.

• Members

I owned one for a while and it was incredible. Closest amp I've ever owned that would make me want to sell the nitro but I simply HAD to have a clean channel so it got sold. The lead/rhythm tones though are spectacular and I've yet to see an amp built to the level of quality and durability that andrew puts into those things. It's one of those amps where you want to see how badly you can thrash it around just to see if it would still work. :lol:

If you don't need a clean channel, I'm convinced it's one of the finest and most versatile high gain amps on the market and for the $1300~ish they go for used... they're a STEAL.

It has a ton of gain too and if you get one of the earlier build models (which I had) the volume knob is a nice smooth linear taper letting you really dial in a low volume sound instead of the instant loud where it goes from whisper quiet to paint peeling volume like so many other amps do. Reason I say early mako is because apparently so many idiots bitched about this instead of just turning the damn knob up higher, andrew was forced (to please the customers) to install one of the other taper pots where it's more or less no volume or all volume. Just so billy bob's mako would be just as loud as joe blow's mesa at 9 o'clock or whatever. :rolleyes:

Here's a couple quick clips I did of mine

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/47-Mako_QuickBrootz.mp3 (ignore the phasing going on. I tried to use more room mic in the audio mix)

This one was done at late night bedroom volume :lol:

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/79-makoplex_bedroom.mp3

This one with the depth knob cranked pretty good

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/61-Makoplex_BigBrootz.mp3

• Members

Im gonna have to vote for the Deliverance, boosted its an awesome metal tone
;)

Boosted side by side with my makoplex at the augusta ampfest, veeeery little difference in quantity of gain. The most different characteristic between the two was that the makoplex had a bit more something going on in the mids and upper mids and the dorito had just a tiny bit more bite on the top end. A little sharper note attack though that could also simply be the bigger glass (as that was one of the differences I heard in my nitro when I went from el34's to KT88's)

Both amps were insane though. some dude there was magnum brootz'ing on a 7 string frankenstrat through each amp and both were super clean, tight and clear even with the volumes on the things at like 2 o'clock.

• Members

Having played Raf's Mak 4, I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Makoplex is a beautiful circuit and you should touch it with your penis.

I actually snuck in a teabagged Raf's Mak 4 last night ;) My balls have been all overt it. But shhhh, don't tell him. I did something REAL special with the dials!!

• Members

I actually snuck in a teabagged Raf's Mak 4 last night
;)
My balls have been all overt it. But shhhh, don't tell him. I did something REAL special with the dials!!

Awesome. Thanks for the input. It is 800.00, I think I will get it. Does it clean up at all with the volume knob? Also do you like the Splawn dirty channel more than the Makoplex?

• Members

I owned one for a while and it was incredible. Closest amp I've ever owned that would make me want to sell the nitro but I simply HAD to have a clean channel so it got sold. The lead/rhythm tones though are spectacular and I've yet to see an amp built to the level of quality and durability that andrew puts into those things. It's one of those amps where you want to see how badly you can thrash it around just to see if it would still work.
:lol:

If you don't need a clean channel, I'm convinced it's one of the finest and most versatile high gain amps on the market and for the $1300~ish they go for used... they're a STEAL.

It has a ton of gain too and if you get one of the earlier build models (which I had) the volume knob is a nice smooth linear taper letting you really dial in a low volume sound instead of the instant loud where it goes from whisper quiet to paint peeling volume like so many other amps do. Reason I say early mako is because apparently so many idiots bitched about this instead of just turning the damn knob up higher, andrew was forced (to please the customers) to install one of the other taper pots where it's more or less no volume or all volume. Just so billy bob's mako would be just as loud as joe blow's mesa at 9 o'clock or whatever.
:rolleyes:

Here's a couple quick clips I did of mine

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/47-Mako_QuickBrootz.mp3
(ignore the phasing going on. I tried to use more room mic in the audio mix)

This one was done at late night bedroom volume
:lol:

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/79-makoplex_bedroom.mp3

This one with the depth knob cranked pretty good

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/61-Makoplex_BigBrootz.mp3

Haaaa!

iPJMAb0kQdU

• Members

For $800 you'd have to be insane not to buy that if you have the money and the amp isn't broken. If you don't buy it PM me the seller's info. I'd be glad to take a Makoplex off somebody's hands for $800, that's an outright steal.

• Members

Awesome. Thanks for the input. It is 800.00, I think I will get it. Does it clean up at all with the volume knob? Also do you like the Splawn dirty channel more than the Makoplex?

Holy {censored}, for 800 bucks thats an INSANE {censored}ing deal.

Archived