Good thick and loose alnico bridge pickup?

grunge782

• Members

Right now I'm loving the Air Zone for that kind of sound. I'm curious to see what some other suggestions will be.

It

That's a good choice.. That's a really dynamic pickup.. Dimarzio makes note of how wide the dynamic of the tone zone is, in regards to strength of pick attack, but the Air Zone takes that to the next level..

But otherwise I agree on prolly lower output.. I'd even throw out the Gibson BurstBuckers used with some heavy strings and downtuned will definitely be thick and loose, but not muddy. The Air zone with that kind of set up might be muddy because of the huge low end and mids.. If you are tuning standard, then get a big fat pickup, like the Air Zone. Tuning down, get a low out put pickup, like the Burstbuckers, 59, a2 pros, etc

• Members

I recommend the SD Alternative 8, which is the biggest sounding pickup I've tried to this day.

Based on both Ola's and Keith's demos thats kinda the opposite of what it sounds like the OP wants. Both their demos seemed to the show the Alt 8 is extremely tight sounding.

I second the recommendations for low/mid wind Alnico 2 pickups.

• Members

Based on both Ola's and Keith's demos thats kinda the opposite of what it sounds like the OP wants. Both their demos seemed to the show the Alt 8 is extremely tight sounding.

I second the recommendations for low/mid wind Alnico 2 pickups.

Yeah I definitely don't want a tight sounding pickup, something more spongy.

• Members

Yeah I definitely don't want a tight sounding pickup, something more spongy.

As far as spongey goes in a pickup you needn't look any farther than the aforementioned Duncan A2P, the amp will be the most important part though.

• Members

As far as spongey goes in a pickup you needn't look any farther than the aforementioned Duncan A2P, the amp will be the most important part though.

Well I'll be using whats in my sig and a bunch of different drive pedals. I just need a pickup with good amount of bass and a loose feel. I'll definitely check the A2P out then.

Archived