how come nobody talks about the vox ac vr series?

newholland

• Members

i know it's all nifty to rock full tube amps... but the ac30vr looks like a righteous amp.

anybody tried 'em? $550 for an ac30ish thing, and 350 for a 15 watter?

damn.. you'd think for guys who have to have a lot of volume control down low, they'd be a pretty cool option, and seems from the demos i've seen that they have a lot of gain options and a reverb can to boot.

they kinda jumped in where fender's solid states disappeared and turned into modelers... i'd be inclined to try one if i needed a classy do-all kinda amp..

what's the consensus? anybody even know they exist, nevermind having played one?

• Members

Not a sexy topic to discuss.

An inxepensive transistor amp that works, sounds good and does its job is an inxepensive transistor amp that works, sounds good and does its job. The end. Not really overly exciting. Move on, nothing to see here, let's start another thread discussing mods to those {censored}pile Valve Juniors or the newest equivalent, Fender Excelsior.

By the way, not much discussion about the Fender's modeling amps either (namely Mustang series) though, IMO, they are a far greater product than most of the tube amps in similar price range.

• Members

Not a sexy topic to discuss.

An inxepensive transistor amp that works, sounds good and does its job is an inxepensive transistor amp that works, sounds good and does its job. The end. Not really overly exciting. Move on, nothing to see here, let's start another thread discussing mods to those {censored}pile Valve Juniors or the newest equivalent, Fender Excelsior.

By the way, not much discussion about the Fender's modeling amps either (namely Mustang series) though, IMO, they are a far greater product than most of the tube amps in similar price range.

yeah.. i hear ya. i'm always way more interested in bang for buck and genuine good sound over more gain or mojo, i guess. i haven't played a mustang.. but y'know.. i just don't have that much interest in an amp that does EVERYTHING.. i just want it to do what it does well.. so anything with that much stuff just seems like too much tweaking. i outlived my mesa days.. i just wanna plug in and play :D

i wonder though if anybody's tried these vr's and put 'em head to head with the real deal... i love me an ac15, but if you can get more volume and out of the 30, and better flexibility in terms of master control with the 30-- seems to me to be a good deal. i dunno if they work that way though.

• Members

i know it's all nifty to rock full tube amps... but the ac30vr looks like a righteous amp.

anybody tried 'em?
$550 for an ac30ish thing
, and 350 for a 15 watter?

damn.. you'd think for guys who have to have a lot of volume control down low, they'd be a pretty cool option, and seems from the demos i've seen that they have a lot of gain options and a reverb can to boot.

they kinda jumped in where fender's solid states disappeared and turned into modelers... i'd be inclined to try one if i needed a classy do-all kinda amp..

what's the consensus? anybody even know they exist, nevermind having played one?

They might be pretty cool, but I can get a real AC30 for $550 right now locally on CL: http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3000669834.html

• Members

They might be pretty cool, but I can get a real AC30 for $550 right now locally on CL:

no-- sure you can. i was less interested in the REAL idea of buying one moreso than just hearing what they sound like. there's no question that buying used is always cheaper, for sure, and i've bought ONE amp in my life new off the shelf. i just wonder what folks experience is with the technology versus a real ac30 or ac15.

Archived