My combo amp head conversion project

Jaymeister

• Members

I wanted to share my latest amp combo conversion project. I built a head shell for my Koch Multitone combo to mate it with my new Port City 2x12 wave cabinet. The head project was quite rewarding and that cabinet sounds stellar, compared to the open back combo.

The head shell was built completely from scratch, and I think it turned out pretty good.

I ordered the unloaded cabinet directly from Port City, and they sent along extra tolex and grillcloth so I could complete the project.

Here's the before...

486379228_1ce03ef081_o.jpg

And the after...

2766228221_83e1c3e84b_b.jpg

I used alot of the online resources for rthe construction...box joints, tolex, etc...

Anyone else do something similar?

• Members

Thanks for the comments everyone. It didn't cost a whole bunch. The head is constructed from pine, so $40 plus the tolex $30 and the grillcloth $15 (and I still have enough to do another cabinet) so let's call it $100 or so including screws, shielding foil, contact cement, etc... I re-used all the hardware from the combo so that was free.:)

I wish I would have taken a bunch of pictures throughout the process, but maybe next time...

• Members

Thanks for the comments everyone. It didn't cost a whole bunch. The head is constructed from pine, so $40 plus the tolex $30 and the grillcloth $15 (and I still have enough to do another cabinet) so let's call it $100 or so including screws, shielding foil, contact cement, etc... I re-used all the hardware from the combo so that was free.
:)

I wish I would have taken a bunch of pictures throughout the process, but maybe next time...

$100...

plus $3k for combo and $700 for cab

minus resale value on Koch

nice DIY but you were not polishing a turd...to say the least!

Archived