Why does my sound have so much presence?

butterguitar

• Members

Well I think my Jet City sounds great with vintage 30 speakers. I would love to hear it with some eminence speakers, since those are the speakers they usually come with.

I am really considering trying out some greenbacks for my Marshall to warm it up.

I've tried the celestion 75 speakers and thought they were very bitey. They had the treble and bass, but the mids were very scooped.

Those goddamn 75s are the worst speakers I have ever heard in my life..those things make almost everything sound like {censored}

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those goddamn 75s are the worst speakers I have ever heard in my life..those things make almost everything sound like {censored}

And I found out that they do sound like utter crap, unless your playing something that your not needed to be heard in the mix :-D

Would greenbacks do well with my Jet City?

• Members

Buncha fraggles up in this bitch.

It's funny to me that 75s and v30s are the most popular guitar speakers on the market, period and (IMO) are some of the worst-sounding/harshest "big name" speakers you can buy.

There are worse, for sure, but they aren't ones that people are going out to buy en masse (rocket 50s, whatever the {censored} they put in MG cabs, etc etc etc)

And I found out that they do sound like utter crap, unless your playing something that your not needed to be heard in the mix :-D

Would greenbacks do well with my Jet City?

Yes. {censored} yes. Greenbacks/h30s for the {censored}ing win.

• Members

not at high volume they don't-- that's what they're for-- LOUD. they're TERRIBLE bedroom speakers, granted.

i'm kidding about v30's. personally, i hate them.. but they're just wrong for how i play. but man do they hurt my teeth.

• Members

Even loud, the complete and utter lack of midrange character on the 75s makes them lame as {censored}all.

They don't sound BAD live, but since there's so little mids whatsoever, it's just "lost in the mix" time.

• Members

It's just odd that I heard that vintage 30's are not british sounding amps. Then why do they make the Marshall 1960AV series? Plenty of Marshall amps (except the 900) sound pretty damn good through vintage 30's.

The Peavey 5150 sounds great through vintage 30's as well IMO, as well as Mesa's.

I think Blackstar's (or any solid state sounding amp) sound like {censored} with vintage 30 because they just have that solid state feel and the vintage 30's make them sound very midrangy and bland.

I would like to get some opinions on greenbacks though

• Members

Fact: v30s are arguably the most popular guitar-speaker.

Fact #2: if companies want to make money, they will provide their customers with the products they want even if they're technically not the "best" option.

Companies offer v30s because people want v30s. Marshall is no different.

• Members

Fact: v30s are arguably the most popular guitar-speaker.

Fact #2: if companies want to make money, they will provide their customers with the products they want even if they're technically not the "best" option.

Companies offer v30s because people want v30s. Marshall is no different.

And you may be right bro. So are Marshall's best sounding through greenbacks in your opinion?

• Members

not at high volume they don't-- that's what they're for-- LOUD. they're TERRIBLE bedroom speakers, granted.

i'm kidding about v30's. personally, i hate them.. but they're just wrong for how i play. but man do they hurt my teeth.

Oh I know..but the V30 debate always gets heated. It was my duty as a citizen of HCAF to get all defensive about someone not liking my speaker of choice. They aren't good for every application, depends on what you're after and the amp you have. I hate the 75s with unbridled passion. Everything I've played them through sounds awful, and that's in a band context. Buzzy, scooped mess

• Members

And you may be right bro. So are Marshall's best sounding through greenbacks in your opinion?

IMO, the greenback variants (greenback/g12h30/heritage/g12-65) are the best sounding speakers for british amps.

• Members

If it's the JCM900 4100 Dual Reverb, then it's because it's a horrible amp. I couldn't get mine to sound good unless I played on the clean channel with the gain and volume cranked, used some sort of boost to slam the front end, and turned the presence and treble nearly completely off. Even then I wasn't getting ripping tone, just not painful. :lol:

• Members

If it's the JCM900 4100 Dual Reverb, then it's because it's a horrible amp. I couldn't get mine to sound good unless I played on the clean channel with the gain and volume cranked, used some sort of boost to slam the front end, and turned the presence and treble nearly completely off. Even then I wasn't getting ripping tone, just not painful.
:lol:

I actually have the Sl-X 50 watt

• Members

The only time I ever actually loved V30s was with a Shiva.

With a Marshall, I have always preferred Greenbacks, G12-H30s and G12-65s.

This. While I think its a bit of a blanket statement to say "Marshall + V30 = BAD" I do agree that for what most people want to hear, the Greenbacks/65's are where its at with the Marshall flavors.

• Members

75's aren't scooped, they're full range. greenbacks don't have lots of mids, they have inadequate bottom and top due to they're lack of power handling, all that's left is midrange (which some people like). 75's (and 900's) are for players who play loud, that's when they warm up and sound like they're supposed to.

• Members

Whats your treble setting?

V-30's are fine for Marshalls

Greenbacks are one of the smoothest.

Now I should clarify that was the first time I used my 900 at a show, so I was still working out the kinks persay. The comments were not bad at all, the sound guy just said my amp has a lot of presence on it, basically he meant I really cut through the mix, but maybe in a bad way?

Mesa, right now I'm running the treble at 4 and the presence control at 1.5. Mids at 2 and bass at 5

I've actually considered the 75 and v30 mix soundgarderner. I could always mic the vintage 30 for live shows in case I need that cut through

• Members

Now I should clarify that was the first time I used my 900 at a show, so I was still working out the kinks persay. The comments were not bad at all, the sound guy just said my amp has a lot of presence on it, basically he meant I really cut through the mix, but maybe in a bad way?

Mesa, right now I'm running the treble at 4 and the presence control at 1.5. Mids at 2 and bass at 5

I've actually considered the 75 and v30 mix soundgarderner. I could always mic the vintage 30 for live shows in case I need that cut through

Maybe you did misunderstood what he said, it looks like he was praising your sound, unless he had a different tone in his voice while he mentioned it?

Btw, I think I missed a post of yours, but did you bring the 2x12 or the 4x12?

• Members

Maybe you did misunderstood what he said, it looks like he was praising your sound, unless he had a different tone in his voice while he mentioned it?

Btw, I think I missed a post of yours, but did you bring the 2x12 or the 4x12?

Well I've always thought my tone in a band setting is a little thin. It seems like it sometimes needs extra balls.

Thw sound guy said it kinda funny like my tone sounded very bright because he was asking questions about my guitar, amp and speakers and all :idk:

I'm gigging with my 2x12. Way easy to transport

Archived