This amp has 66 TUBES !!!!!!

Crunchtime

• Members

Check this out. Ran across this Cordovox preamp poweramp combo from the 60's on ebay. This thing has over 60 tubes! I'd hate retubing it.:eek: No idea what theese are but seems like it could be a decent deal? No? Even has a pair of old Jensens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordovox-CG-Vintage-1960s-TubeTone-Generator-Pre-Amp-and-Tube-Power-Amplifier-/200780744075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf77058b

• Members

Pretty sure the "tone generator" portion is exactly that. Individual tubes dedicated to producing individual notes, hence the reason there's so many.

It's exactly that. At least one tube for each oscillator.

Exactly the kind of stuff why transistors were invented, though it sounds even weaker than a $5 Casio synth.

• Members

It's exactly that. At least one tube for each oscillator.

Exactly the kind of stuff why transistors were invented.

it's also one of the coolest things I've ever seen and I'd love to own it

• Members

I bet it's got a fairly small percentage of 'usable' tubes in the tone generator.

He alludes to 12AX7's, but certainly could have posted a close up of the tube chart on the back panel if it was loaded with usable vintage tubes.

• Members

Holy crap....66 tubes? Is it a freaking organ simulator or something? That's insane!

Yes. The part with all the tubes is the guts of an all-tube keyboard/electric accordion.

The other cab is basically a regular tube amp with the normal arrangement of pre and power tubes.

There've been at least 3 threads on this thing in the last 6 months.

Archived