What do you guys think of the BG hellabucker (or BG pickups in general)?

grunge782

• Members

The Hellabucker is my favorite rock/metal pickup ever.....and I have tried a {censored} load lol. I also have a trio of custom vintage blade BG single coils and I'm using the mid and neck models in my Starfield....they are just orgasmic.....

In a big slab oh mahogany the Hellabucker is just super huge and thick, with no harsh top end. Pretty damned tight, too. When split it sounds a bit like a really hot tele bridge pickup

Before I settled on the Hellabucker in this guitar I have had Dimarzio Slammer, Duncan Distortion, GFS Crunchy Rail, EMG 81, and EMG 85. Hellabucker pwns them all for my taste/style. I have a bunch of clips I can post if you are interested....

4e6e31f4.jpg

b0c348bf.jpg

• Members

It's a really cool pickup. It is huge sounding. Very beefy and fat. Has a chunky rhythm sound, but can have a great smooth lead sound. It still cuts without any fizz or annoying high frequencies.

I don't think it would be my first choice on a guitar that was sounding tubby. It probably wont tighten it up. It's overall very broad and smooth. There's no spikiness to it. Very even response. So, it can sound a little boring and bland sometimes.

Nice pickup. I hope he does some more higher output pickups. I'd try them, for sure.

• Members

I have a couple of Hellabuckers. Fantastic pickups. I'm always on the hunt for those that pop up used (which is not often). As mentioned above, the wait time is, well, a long wait. I found myself buying other used sets while waiting for the new set to be wound. Pair it with the Lizard neck pickup and you've got a killer set.

• Members

Best bridge pup I've ever had.

Love mine.

I've been through many pups in my Eclipse and I liked most of them I always had some gripe of some kind.

The Hellabucker is absolutely awesome in every way. Nothing I'd change about it honestly.

This pup and my Eclipse will probably always be what I play for my main sound. Really don't see that ever changing.

• Members

But much higher output I take it?

Output is just a TAD higher, maybe 1k at most, than the breed...breed is rated at 16.5, so is the hellabucker.

EDIT: Breed says 16.32, HB says 16.5-17k

EDIT: And they both use alnico 5 magnets.

• Members

It's a really cool pickup. It is huge sounding. Very beefy and fat. Has a chunky rhythm sound, but can have a great smooth lead sound. It still cuts without any fizz or annoying high frequencies.

I don't think it would be my first choice on a guitar that was sounding tubby. It probably wont tighten it up. It's overall very broad and smooth. There's no spikiness to it. Very even response. So, it can sound a little boring and bland sometimes.

Nice pickup. I hope he does some more higher output pickups. I'd try them, for sure.

I have a Hellarail and agree with this description.

• Members

Output is just a TAD higher, maybe 1k at most, than the breed...breed is rated at 16.5, so is the hellabucker.

EDIT: Breed says 16.32, HB says 16.5-17k

EDIT: And they both use alnico 5 magnets.

Is that DC resistance?

I thought the lower the figure means the higher the output?

• Members

So which DiMarzio and Duncan pup does the Hellabucker sound most similar to?

It can maybe be considered similar to a duncan Distortion with clearer mids, softer around the edges, less sizzly, and a little broader sounding. I think it shares some characteristics with an Anderson H2+ as well, but the highs are not as glassy.

Archived