What do you guys think of the BG hellabucker (or BG pickups in general)?

grunge782

• Members

Love my hellabucker, lots. Have it in an LP Studio right now, just a stellar pickup.

Also have a hellarail prototype in a strat. Holy {censored} that thing is such a gnarly output. It's not so much that it's like "too hot," but it just punishes my amps, I love it. It actually almost fuzzes out my 5150. That on the rhythm channel, jesus {censored} - that is stoner rock tone. So rad.

• Members

Is that DC resistance?

I thought the lower the figure means the higher the output?

I dunno how all that stuff works, but I always thought that corresponded to output in some way...I always thought the higher the number, the higher the output...

• Members

Love my hellabucker, lots. Have it in an LP Studio right now, just a stellar pickup.

Also have a hellarail prototype in a strat. Holy {censored} that thing is such a gnarly output. It's not so much that it's like "too hot," but it just punishes my amps, I love it. It actually almost fuzzes out my 5150. That on the rhythm channel, jesus {censored} - that is stoner rock tone. So rad.

That rail pickup was absurd. You got it from me, right?

• Members

That rail pickup was absurd. You got it from me, right?

I'm pretty sure, yeah. I tried it in an LP for a while, wasn't what that guitar needed. It just kind of randomly ended up in the strat a little bit ago. So rad/weird/awesome. I wish I could even describe it tonally, I simply cannot.

• Members

I'm pretty sure, yeah. I tried it in an LP for a while, wasn't what that guitar needed. It just kind of randomly ended up in the strat a little bit ago. So rad/weird/awesome. I wish I could even describe it tonally, I simply cannot.

Yeah man, I had it in a Strat for a while too. It was a really rad and odd tone for sure. The funny thing is I asked him to wind it a little less hot than a normal hellabucker :freak:

• Members

It's a really cool pickup. It is huge sounding. Very beefy and fat. Has a chunky rhythm sound, but can have a great smooth lead sound. It still cuts without any fizz or annoying high frequencies.

I don't think it would be my first choice on a guitar that was sounding tubby. It probably wont tighten it up. It's overall very broad and smooth. There's no spikiness to it. Very even response. So, it can sound a little boring and bland sometimes.

Nice pickup. I hope he does some more higher output pickups. I'd try them, for sure.

I think that seals the deal, that sounds like its exactly what I want.

• Members

I like the hellabucker but it didnt have enough cut in any of my guitars (which are all big sounding guitars). I had Bryan wind me a lower output/brighter 15k hellabucker and im very happy with it. Less compression, more zing :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Bumping this because some people still may be curious...

I just installed a BG Hellabucker. It is a killer pickup with massive sustain and a thick bottom end. I would compare it somewhere between the Duncan Distortion and Gibson 500T. The high end is

a lot smoother. Very clear in the B tuning that I play in. What is also amazing is the clean sound that you get from it. If you turn down the volume from say 10 to about 8, the clean tone is sweet and jangly sounding.

I wasn't real sure about it until I started adjusting it. I found the sweet spot. I'd reccomend giving it a go.

• Members

I just installed a BG Hellabucker. It is a killer pickup with massive sustain and a thick bottom end. I would compare it somewhere between the Duncan Distortion and Gibson 500T. The high end is

a lot smoother. Very clear in the B tuning that I play in. What is also amazing is the clean sound that you get from it. If you turn down the volume from say 10 to about 8, the clean tone is sweet and jangly sounding.

I wasn't real sure about it until I started adjusting it. I found the sweet spot. I'd reccomend giving it a go.

Install a push/pull split for it and enjoy even better tele-like cleans :thu:

• Members

Thats is how it is with MHD pickups, the high output models clean up like a PAF

Archived