backup amp inspired thread: Ever do something so stupid

Lucius

• Members

I've gotten everything setup and powered, heard no sound or maybe only a humming, and not been able to pinpoint the problem until realizing I hadn't plugged the guitar in... I do this regularly.

lol, see I only had to take my volume pedal away, by that logic um...nevermind. I've been burned by almost everything written in this thread. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Ever set your own mic up, and had the sound guy throw some {censored}ty radio shack mic on your cab right next to it?

I did once, so I simply unplugged his mic and plugged mine in when the FOH sound was still off.

Out of spite, the sound guy claimed my sm57 didn't work.

...5 years later, mic still works.

• Members

I always do the one where the tone knob is turned down and no matter what I'm doing the tone is muffled and won't cut through at all. Can't seem to get it loud or clear enough. Then you panic and forget that the guitar even has a tone knob and start twiddling every other knob you can find...

• Members

Last weekend, it was my talkbox. Couldn't figure out why my rig had no sound.....talkbox. Of course I'm furiously working down at the pedalboard.....can't hear the tube up by my mic.

Had the wah problem a few times. Keep meaning to mod mine to having an LED...

Bassist once had no sound, checked the cables, switched heads to one we borrowed from another band.....had both ends ond cable plugged into both outputs on the amp, other cable connecting two cabs...,luckily found it before we blew up the amps....

• Members

I've done lots of stupid things over the years. The FX loop nails me the most. I will just forget to plug it in. I have also set my amp and cab up, power it all on and get no sound only to find I forgot to plug the cabinet in :facepalm: Havent fried any amps yet though :lol: Anybody ever play through a whole song at a gig and not realize your wah pedal is on? yeah, done that too :lol:

• Members

Worse I ever did was change out an amp to my backup head, change guitars, check pedalboard and chase my {censored}ing tail about 30 minutes during a soundcheck before realizing I had an open guitar cable!

:lol: Emganier moment ! Always omitting the simple {censored} first

• Members

well out of the obvious things listed, an open cable is about the least obvious, but definitely still on the list!
;)

what is it about cables that make them only {censored} up at shows?

Other people that help you tear down that don't know how to wrap them. I don't let any band members touch our cables. I over under every damn one and velcro tie them. Our bassist wraps his around his elbow then in a knot. He's had to buy new cables at least 10 times in the last couple years.

• Members

Last year we were on a radio show playing 3 songs we'd just put out on an EP. At the start of the first song I started playing and there was no sound. I was already on edge because they'd said "don't bring an amp, our engineer will provide you with something suitable for radio". Well that turned out to be a DI box, and I'd have been {censored}ed if they didn't have a 1st gen pod sitting around somewhere...

Anyway, it turned out I'd rolled the volume down on my guitar. What a clunge.

Another time I was convinced my amp was broken. It'd work fine for a few minutes but whenever I dug in or turned on a boost pedal the output would dissolve into static. I took it to a tech and paid

• Members

Just thought of another moment that happened mid song. My wireless pack fell off of my strap and jerked the cable right out of my guitar on the second verse of the song. I scrambled to get it back on my strap and plugged in and after I got it back on I only had about half of my volume and gain. I kept playing but it sounded like crap. Ended up playing the solo with the crappiest, thinnest tone ever :facepalm: Know what the problem was? I only had the cable plugged half way into the wireless :lol:

• Members

I always do the one where the tone knob is turned down and no matter what I'm doing the tone is muffled and won't cut through at all. Can't seem to get it loud or clear enough. Then you panic and forget that the guitar even has a tone knob and start twiddling every other knob you can find...

I used to do this ALL. THE. TIME.

Now I play guitars that don't have tone knobs. Truth.

• Members

I've had my power amp accidentally bridged for the pretty much the last 5 months. No wonder my stereo effects didn't sound right...

:lol:

Yesterday at band practice I played two songs with an octave up pitch shifter blended into my dry signal...

...and I didn't even {censored}ing notice.:lol:

Archived