I forgot how bad digital amp offerings used to be...

grunge782

• Members

Just read this thread-

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1643964-Worst-Amp-Ever/

I didn't remember how terrible modeling offerings used to be. They used to be regarded as kiddy GC amps and little cheapo practicing amps, something akin to SS crates.

Seriously, it is pretty amazing how far digital amps have come lately. There are now products like the Axe-fx, Kemper, Yamaha THR, Mustang, Eleven Rack, Vypyr, POD HD, Zoom G3, etc...

The Axe-fx and Kemper I think have changed the whole market since the "old" days. If I told you then that there were modeler/digital amps that would cost more than a quality good tube amplifier you would have thought I was crazy.

Could you imagine somebody going "should i get this POD spider or a 6505, Dual Recto etc...?".

A lot of guitarists now actually consider digital products amongst tube amps when looking for an amplifier. When I went to try out some amps for a middle of the road grab and go combo for rehearsals, small gigs, etc... I tried out a Blues Jr, Hot Rod, Peavey Classic, Mesa Boogie F30 and other tube amps, but ended up happiest with a modeler. I'd would have NOT been satisfied with the modeling offerings 5 or so years ago.

:idk: CSB :wave:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still think modelers are only usefull for recording.

Live they just sound like a bunch of glorified pedals

Well then those glorified pedals sound better than before :o.

I know what you are saying in terms of bigger gigs, it is hard to replace tube power (though I heard Devin Townsend through his axe direct and he sounded very good). But I remember the days of struggling with an older Line 6 and it is night and day for me.

• Members

Whereas people don't use pedals live?

The thread also said the worst amp is the wrong amp for the job. Big gig with a spider 30 is wrong, so is bar gig with NMV marshall!

Though I agree about the application, I was talking more about the general attitudes. I guess if there is any point to this thread, it is how I've seen an attitude shift about digital amps both from manufacturers and players/buyers.

• Members

Ask Norton666 here. He went from a frigging mesa mark IV to a line6 spider IV 75 watt and he mentioned how much easier it was to gig with the 75 and got compliments on the tone whereas the mark IV was in fact difficult to cranck etc. He used a vypyr at some point if I remember correctly.

• Members

Unless you're in a doom band.

Or know how to use the right pedal (like a ProCo Rat) with it to get a good sound at a low volume. (dirt turned up..pedal volume turned down)

Ive played small venues with NMV Marshalls. "attenuate" with a pedal..good to go.

• Members

Ask Norton666 here. He went from a frigging mesa mark IV to a line6 spider IV 75 watt and he mentioned how much easier it was to gig with the 75 and got compliments on the tone whereas the mark IV was in fact difficult to cranck etc. He used a vypyr at some point if I remember correctly.

He's not the only one. Back in the day I went from a Diezel VH4S to a Line6 HD147, and my back thanked me.

Not that I wouldn't have the Diezel again in a heartbeat if I had boatloads of money, but there's some really cool digital Stuff That Works .

• Members

I still can't wrap my head around the "lost in the mix" argument. There are lots of solid state amps that don't get lost in the mix. Why should a modeling amp be any different?

Could it be the way the amp is EQ'd?
Could it be a lack of volume?
Could it be because somebody on HC said it is true?

:idk:

• Members

In my experience it's a mids thing. Modeling amps tend to be less mid-focused than others because they aim for "sounding like a recorded amp in the room", and in recordings usually the mids are more controlled / scooped than in a live setting.

But yeah. Just run that mid knob a bit higher, please :).

• Members

I remember the old ax212 and Johnson combos...they were terrible

The flextone models were a step up, but lacked a lot.

The hd147 was really cool, but not priced to sell.

Spider valve was a big let down.

The pod xt I think was the first of the serious modelers.

The axe fx made everyone step up their products though, no doubt.

• Members
In my experience it's a mids thing. Modeling amps tend to be less mid-focused than others because they aim for "sounding like a recorded amp in the room", and in recordings usually the mids are more controlled / scooped than in a live setting.

But yeah. Just run that mid knob a bit higher, please
:)

That makes sense. I've used qutie a few modelers over the years and there always seemed to be something that just sounded different to my ears. I couldn't quite place it.

• Members

I still can't wrap my head around the "lost in the mix" argument. There are lots of solid state amps that don't get lost in the mix. Why should a modeling amp be any different?

My engl blackmore, ampeg ss150, and flextone head all got lost in a band mix, each one I spent weeks adjusting eq settings, etc. and they just lacked something I can't really explain...I'd have to crank to uncomfortable volume levels to be heard at band rehearsals.

My cobra, deliverance, recto, 5150, & ultra + never gave me that issue. I could always play at quieter levels and be heard more clearly.

As much as I wanted to like some amps, having something like the 5150 or vht that I could plug & play without tweaking anything done let me focus on being a better player.

• Members

This is truth. In my cover band , I went from a MK IV and pedals to a L6 Spider IV 75 an to this day , I'm perfectly happy. Get compliments on my tone all the time and I can carry my entire rig inside in one trip without even straining. For a cover band , a modeller is the only way I'll go. Maintenance free and a huge palette of tones without a bunch of fiddling.

• Members

But I still can't get over the days of using a flextone II and being lost in the mix.

+1. it was a great bedroom and recording amp that I eventually traded a guy for a Marshall AVT, taking my first step towards the toobies.

• Members

I gigged with my flextone for about 6 months before I gave up on it, I got an ashdown 60w tube amp and the change was night and day. It was to do with the mids even though I cranked them on my flextone. I will add it was a 2 guitarist band

Archived