Companies that charge more than they should just because the have a name.

soilent

• Members

more than they "should"? What's this? The USSR?

Every company (and individuals) should charge as much as people are willing to pay for their products and services.

If tomorrow someone offers me double the money to do the exact same {censored} I do today, I am accepting it in a heartbeat. I am not going to say "wait, I think you are paying me too much"

Also, becoming a "name brand" is neither easy nor free. If these companies employed the correct marketing investments and strategies to become a brand name, they are more than entitled to reap the benefits of doing so.

+1. The only reason certain companies can charge what they charge is because people buy there products for those prices. They would be silly to sell them for less when they don't have to. The companies charging less just wish they could charge as much as some of the others and would in a heartbeat if they could. The only thing that will change certain companies from charging what they charge is if people quit buying.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every company (and individuals) should charge as much as people are willing to pay for their products and services.

If tomorrow someone offers me double the money to do the exact same {censored} I do today, I am accepting it in a heartbeat. I am not going to say "wait, I think you are paying me too much"

Also, becoming a "name brand" is neither easy nor free. If these companies employed the correct marketing investments and strategies to become a brand name, they are more than entitled to reap the benefits of doing so.

at the end of the day though, this.

• Members

I want to start a company that gets famous and rape people on name alone.

That's how you know you made it when you can sell an inferior product for a higher price and people buy it.

#Winning

Most companies famous on their name don't put out inferior products though. The name will only take you so far if what you make goes to crap and people start to dislike it.

I see alot are saying Gibson as far as overpriced and inferior. Overall though their line of guitar prices are competitive with every other guitar manufacturer in their category and for every bad QC issue you read about there are hundreds or thousands of positives that you never hear about.

• Members

Most companies famous on their name don't put out inferior products though.
The name will only take you so far if what you make goes to crap and people start to dislike it.

I see alot are saying Gibson as far as overpriced and inferior. Overall though their line of guitar prices are competitive with every other guitar manufacturer in their category and for every bad QC issue you read about there are hundreds or thousands of positives that you never hear about.

I don't want to be most companies. I want you all to be my bitch and give me money for no good reason! :cop:

• Members

I rarely agree with ideas postured by other people, but i agree with this.

Oh, and {censored} the commies.

• Members

I have to disagree with Fender being particularly overpriced. They have good-quality guitars and amps at pretty much every price point and most of their products are also more or less indestructible (maybe amps a bit less so than guitars, but how many broken Fender guitars have you seen that didn't take some severe deliberate abuse to make them that way?) And their QC/setup is also pretty tight. If they're overpriced it's not so much on their standard fare. More on custom shop and sig models.

Gibson, on the other hand...I haven't played a new Gibson that felt right for years. Fragile, not all that well-designed, very suspect QC and yet they rarely release a guitar that's not terrible for under a grand. A Faded SG (which was like an $800 guitar, mind you) is pretty much the only instrument I've seen split down the middle of the body in the middle of a show. I've never seen a Squier do that and they cost like under $200 a lot of times.

Marshall and Orange definitely do overcharge on their names. Vox too.

There are a lot of boutique amp builders that charge way too much, too. Dr. Z is decently-reasonable sometimes but honestly my amp tech makes me handmade amps that sound wonderful for less than those go for used and with better features.

There are some brands that are actually quite reasonably priced, though.

Ibanez is usually fairly priced.

Traynor

Electro Harmonix

Devi Ever

Boss/Roland

Shure

• Members

I have to disagree with Fender being particularly overpriced. They have good-quality guitars and amps at pretty much every price point and most of their products are also more or less indestructible (maybe amps a bit less so than guitars, but how many broken Fender guitars have you seen that didn't take some severe deliberate abuse to make them that way?) And their QC/setup is also pretty tight. If they're overpriced it's not so much on their standard fare. More on custom shop and sig models.

Gibson, on the other hand...I haven't played a new Gibson that felt right for years. Fragile, not all that well-designed, very suspect QC and yet they rarely release a guitar that's not terrible for under a grand. A Faded SG (which was like an $800 guitar, mind you) is pretty much the only instrument I've seen split down the middle of the body in the middle of a show. I've never seen a Squier do that and they cost like under $200 a lot of times.

Marshall and Orange definitely do overcharge on their names. Vox too.

There are a lot of boutique amp builders that charge way too much, too. Dr. Z is decently-reasonable sometimes but honestly my amp tech makes me handmade amps that sound wonderful for less than those go for used and with better features.

There are some brands that are actually quite reasonably priced, though.

Ibanez is usually fairly priced.

Traynor

Electro Harmonix

Devi Ever

Boss/Roland

Shure

I think that Fender deliberately makes Squiers and MIM fenders with substandard electronics and bad setups to maintain demand for the MIA guitars.

I also think that Gibson makes the Epiphones use those ugly as sin headstocks on the licensed guitars in order to (partially) maintain demand for the lower end Gibsons.

Which is a great business strategy.

Agreed on the amps, somewhat. I don't know where the components for Vox products are made, but if the amps themselves are still being assembled in Vietnam (AC30CP?) they shouldn't go for the prices they do.

• Members

I think that Fender deliberately makes Squiers and MIM fenders with substandard electronics and bad setups to maintain demand for the MIA guitars.

I also think that Gibson makes the Epiphones use those ugly as sin headstocks on the licensed guitars in order to (partially) maintain demand for the lower end Gibsons.

Which is a great business strategy.

And I thought that this forum is not full of 13 year olds that cry about how 'expensive' Gibsons (and Fenders) are. :facepalm:

The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe Squiers are really great guitars for the money, just as the MIM Baja Telecaster and the Classic series.

Of course they can't have the same quality of wood and electronics as the MIA models, after all they cost a whole lot less and the cost of a MIA Fender is not only made up from labour costs.

Also there's a lot more difference between an Epiphone and a "low end" Gibson than the headstock.

The Faded guitars are IMHO some of the best guitars at their price point.

• Members

And I thought that this forum is not full of 13 year olds that cry about how 'expensive' Gibsons (and Fenders) are.
:facepalm:

The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe Squiers are really great guitars for the money, just as the MIM Baja Telecaster and the Classic series.

Of course they can't have the same quality of wood and electronics as the MIA models, after all they cost a whole lot less and the cost of a MIA Fender is not only made up from labour costs.

Also there's a lot more difference between an Epiphone and a "low end" Gibson than the headstock.

The Faded guitars are IMHO some of the best guitars at their price point.

Wasn't crying about the prices. If I wanted to get a Les Paul Custom or an American Fender, I could. I just don't have the desire to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you.

I think there are a lot more factors in the prices than we, the consumer, see at the cash register, and I was simply pointing out that if Fender and Gibson did do those things, they are smarter for it.

If Gibson didn't just get raided by the Feds, I would totally buy some of their stock. If they were public.

If Fender eventually does go public, I'll buy some of their stock too.

• Members

Do you work for free? (all the time?) Do you provide a service or product for free?

OOooo btw Profits do fund roads, bridges, schools, etc

:idea:

I am not talking about income, I am talking about profit, numbskull.

Archived