How many business owners do we have here?

OverDriven

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Let me interject with a completely different yet awesome idea. My fellow Southern California natives will understand.

Open a 24 hr. mexican food restaurant that serves through a concourse from 6am-9pm

Then, serves out of a window onto the sidewalk from 9pm-6am

Serve fat assed california burritos and nachos. Make sure the restaurant is close to bars. Cash-only policy.

Get some scratch, then move on to the nicer establishment.

I'm a patron to such establishments. :thu::lol::thu:

• Members

I work as a merchandise designer in the music and sports industry. My portfolio site is www.geoffmay.com. Working for myself is the best thing I ever did. The money is awesome and my schedule is whatever I make it. Hell, I'm leaving for Put-In-Bay in an hour and won't be back until Tuesday. I could never go back to working in an office for someone. I'd rather make money for myself.

• Members

Let me interject with a completely different yet awesome idea. My fellow Southern California natives will understand.

Open a 24 hr. mexican food restaurant that serves through a concourse from 6am-9pm

Then, serves out of a window onto the sidewalk from 9pm-6am

Serve fat assed california burritos and nachos. Make sure the restaurant is close to bars. Cash-only policy.

Get some scratch, then move on to the nicer establishment.

Good idea. That said, I usually don't go to places with a cash only policy. Simply put, why do I have to pay taxes while they can just take all cash and report way less?

• Members

Good idea. That said, I usually don't go to places with a cash only policy. Simply put, why do I have to pay taxes while they can just take all cash and report way less?

What the {censored} are you talking about? :lol: The register still records sales and prints receipts. Guess what they use to calculate their profits?

• Members

I really admire all you guys who run your own businesses. Take a lot of balls IMHO. More than I'll ever have.

This, I am really looking to get out of working for others, but really don't even know where to start.

I have a dream of a business I would like to own, but no idea how to get there.

• Members

This, I am really looking to get out of working for others, but really don't even know where to start.

I have a dream of a business I would like to own, but no idea how to get there.

Here's my only advice. If you start a business, you have to dive in 100% and truly believe in your product or service. If you don't, there's no way you'll separate a man from his wallet for your product.

What are you looking to do?

• Members

Here's my only advice. If you start a business, you have to dive in 100% and truly believe in your product or service. If you don't, there's no way you'll separate a man from his wallet for your product.

What are you looking to do?

I want to own a resort property, with a few cabins/cottages on a lake somewhere. Live there full time, maintain and rent out the cabins/cottages and maybe have a few spots for people with trailers.

I would cater it to sportsmen, fishermen, hunter etc... and also families.

I would have it open year round if possible and have it open to skiers and such in the winter.

I would idealy have 3-5 employee's to help me keep it up and do cleaning. My wife is in marketing so I would really like her in on it as well, doing online marketing and such.

:idk:

Long term maybe do fly in fishing trips, try and get americans to come up north.

I used to work on a resort like this, and loved it and how the owners lived.

• Members

What the {censored} are you talking about?
:lol:
The register still records sales and prints receipts. Guess what they use to calculate their profits?

what do you think the register gets piped in to some Irs income database..? Lol.. just cause there is register doesn't mean they are reporting all their sales.. Taking credit cards leaves a trail the irs can track, if they were doing an audit.. Cash sales can be hidden easier and often is

• Members

Made the presentation this morning and it went well. They're signing the contract tomorrow. This is pretty exciting because this particular client is huge. If they're happy with this run, they may be implementing my system into all of their future sales offices. Woot. :rawk:

• Members

Most cash only places don't charge sales tax. So the savings is being passed on to you.

• Members

I want to own a resort property, with a few cabins/cottages on a lake somewhere. Live there full time, maintain and rent out the cabins/cottages and maybe have a few spots for people with trailers.

I would cater it to sportsmen, fishermen, hunter etc... and also families.

I would have it open year round if possible and have it open to skiers and such in the winter.

I would idealy have 3-5 employee's to help me keep it up and do cleaning. My wife is in marketing so I would really like her in on it as well, doing online marketing and such.

:idk:

Long term maybe do fly in fishing trips, try and get americans to come up north.

I used to work on a resort like this, and loved it and how the owners lived.

Let me bring up a point. I fish at a place in Alaska, on the kenai river. Now, this place was a {censored}hole I'm told. Then...

The world record (at the time) king salmon was caught right off their river front property by a guest and guide. This place became THE destination right after. Now, it's beautiful. So much money passes through there it's not even funny. The cabins are nice, amenities are nice, etc.

If you go through with your idea, you have to have a reputation of monster assed fish. When people put $$$ down, they want as close to a guarantee as they can get. Sometimes it's perceived if everyone is smoking' high caliber fish.

Get competent guides and a spot on a very active fishing hole. The rest is history. Word spreads fast where the monsters are.

• Members
what do you think the register gets piped in to some Irs income database..? Lol.. just cause there is register doesn't mean they are reporting all their sales.. Taking credit cards leaves a trail the irs can track, if they were doing an audit.. Cash sales can be hidden easier and often is

Yeah no {censored}. My point is that he is automatically assuming that they aren't reporting all sales and profits BECAUSE they have a cash only policy. Perhaps they have a cash only policy because it means less overhead for the business. :idea:

• Members

I would not expect any less from HCAF. A virtual cauldron of success stories.

It'd be cool if more people who were looking to start a business chimed in.

I always though a venture capitalist would be great. I love seeing new ideas launch in to a real product. So cool!

Archived