How many business owners do we have here?

OverDriven

• Members

I co-own a consulting engineering company with three offices. I was on the road today at 6am, just got home and had warmed up lasagna, and am on the road at 6 again tomorrow. The economy sucks so bad we have to go out three times as far for the same amount of work.

Jesus, since you own the business you ever consider one of these?

469931.jpg

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wow, farming is {censored}ing nuts.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of {censored} technology can't do, where old methods are still king, but as far as understanding what's going on below the soil we have a much better idea on the action, containment and prevention.

• Members

Bro, props, mang.

owning a business = some balls.

owning a restaurant = brass balls.

that is my ultimate goal right now, being a chef/owner of a small 30-40 seat refined casual dinning but with ultra high standards, and as much local ingredients as possible.

I'm currently working under / learning from a certified master chef (the first face you see in this video

), reading, practicing, writing menus and breaking down foodcosts, putting together imaginary numbers, etc.

my grandpa also started a business that my mom and aunt currently run, and i'll consider buying her out when she retires if all else fails.

• Members

that is my ultimate goal right now, being a chef/owner of a small 30-40 seat refined casual dinning but with ultra high standards, and as much local ingredients as possible.

I'm currently working under / learning from a certified master chef (the first face you see in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IP4SKtV1wY
), reading, practicing, writing menus and breaking down foodcosts, putting together imaginary numbers, etc.

my grandpa also started a business that my mom and aunt currently run, and i'll consider buying her out when she retires if all else fails.

sounds awesome. best of luck man :thu:

• Members

Let me interject with a completely different yet awesome idea. My fellow Southern California natives will understand.

Open a 24 hr. mexican food restaurant that serves through a concourse from 6am-9pm

Then, serves out of a window onto the sidewalk from 9pm-6am

Serve fat assed california burritos and nachos. Make sure the restaurant is close to bars. Cash-only policy.

Get some scratch, then move on to the nicer establishment.

• Members

Another good thing about running my own business, I am on 2 weeks holiday an off to the beach (it's 9:15 am here). Last year no holiday but this year I have 2 weeks in August and 2 weeks in December. I am not rich by any means but it's more stable than work in london. An I just get paid for talking to people (really).

Though I do miss working in London, I like to get my ass kicked everyday and pushed into doing the best job as I can, other wise I can get lazy.

• Members

I keep thinking of different businesses I could start. Running the gamut from getting a franchise (the Merlin Muffler guy around here went out of business. Something about using the bill paying money to buy coke...) to starting a business cleaning service (working at night? by myself? YES PLEASE!).

Then I remember that when you're the boss/owner you can't just go gung-ho on an idea for 6 months and when you get bored stop doing anything. Well you can, but that leads to bankruptcy and other bad things.

Props to you guys who own your own businesses! Please don't be like my company's owner!

• Members

Let me interject with a completely different yet awesome idea. My fellow Southern California natives will understand.

Open a 24 hr. mexican food restaurant that serves through a concourse from 6am-9pm

Then, serves out of a window onto the sidewalk from 9pm-6am

Serve fat assed california burritos and nachos. Make sure the restaurant is close to bars. Cash-only policy.

Get some scratch, then move on to the nicer establishment.

Or, why even move? Your description reminds me of a fat assed burrito place when I lived in CA. It was either Roberto's or Alberto's. Seemed like a money making machine.

• Members

Or, why even move? Your description reminds me of a fat assed burrito place when I lived in CA. It was either Roberto's or Alberto's. Seemed like a money making machine.

Both chains have many restaurants in the San Diego County area. Add to that list El Cotixan, Cotijas, and Sombreros. They all have great food.

• Members

We had Albertos and Philiberto's :lol:

I say move because clearly Mr. Ansell has the skills and time put in for a higher end restaurant which sounds like is his goal anyways. I was just offering an idea to make a {censored} ton of cash, literally, CASH quickly. A {censored}hole burrito joint is seriously the best get-rich-quick scheme I know of. HAS to be by a bar/high school and open 24hrs. though. Nothing is open? Drunk? Driving home from party? LET'S GOTO _____________O'S!!!!!!!!!

Win.

• Members

I didn't sift through 5 pages of this thread yet, but am just saying that I am a business owner as well, got my Class A contractors license a while back and had to start a business to have an entity to go with it. I haven't become rich yet, but I do get to make my own hours, which does include working my ass off at the moment trying to catch up from a bad wind storm here 6 weeks ago. Trying to collect money from insurance companies is a job within itself.

• Members

Very interesting thread and posts!!!

Best of luck to all of you!

I'm stuck for working for a big company :-(

I expected A LOT more technology based stuff.

I wish more owners would chime in! I love hearing about peoples companies. :cool: We (especially me) could learn a lot from eachother.

• Members
Is this like your previous ventures?

Building computers for people with pirated operating systems/software?

Bragging about buying 10 investment properties and then not following through?

Creating amateur websites?

Or are you going to try something legit this time?

the great thing about this place is there are up to 4 way arguments sometimes and each person is a legit asshole :lol: (myself included)

• Members

Do they still have that pizza place a couple blocks from the roller coaster at Pacific Beach with the pizzas that are like 3 ft across?

The roller coaster is at Belmont Park located in Mission Beach. I have no idea if that place is still there because the whole area is a tourist trap and is generally avoided by locals. :o

Archived