I have hated on bonamassa and Black country communion

primeholy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn! Where are the tickets that expensive. I think the most I have paid when I have seen him was $60.

Warner Theater in DC.

edit, checked again. Looks like the cheapest tickets are actually around $70 after fees. No idea where the {censored} I was before. Looks like there's only a few seats left though.

• Members

They are exceptional musicians playing average (maybe even slightly watered down?) music. I consider them better than Chickenfoot but not great. Bonamassa sure can play but his song writing is very hit or miss IMO.

Yeah, I had one experience with one of his solo records and it turned me off completely. In the context of a band...maybe. But then I would have to actually seek his band out. But I would fear {censored}ty songwriting. Endless circle is endless.

• Members

This. He's a lead player, not a riffer, that's why he's a better blooze guitarist; the basic song structure for blues has been the same for over 100 years.

I also find myself wishing that he'd
turn his tone knob up when he's playing rhythm
. That smooth EJ-esque tone is great for leads, but I wish his chords and riffs had a bit more bite to them.

I am going to raise your This with another helping of This.

• Members

I don't think he gets upset over other people's success. More that after being around for 25 years, and being acclaimed as one of the best blues guitarists in recent memory, the mainstream press and the charts/radio/tv etc give him no recognition. For musicians, he's a big name, but that's because we're musicians and gearheads and you can't help but find his name emblazoned on all the best gear: Gibson, Dunlop, Marshall, Seymour Duncan, etc etc. Outside of our little musician's circle though, the large majority of people haven't a clue who he is.

And that's what bugs him...he's been phenomenally successful, but because he plays blues, and because he doesn't write radio singles, the mainstream ignores him.

• Members

And that's what bugs him...he's been phenomenally successful, but because he plays blues, and because he doesn't write radio singles, the mainstream ignores him.

you think? He's never struck me as someone who holds resentment towards anyone for not being bigger. He just seems like he loves playing and is happy that he's able to do so :idk:

• Members

They are exceptional musicians playing average (maybe even slightly watered down?) music. I consider them better than Chickenfoot but not great. Bonamassa sure can play but his song writing is very hit or miss IMO.

I agree with this more or less. I think Bonamassa is a great player and Glenn Hughes is a great singer but just don't find myself wanting to listen to the songs.

• Members

I agree with this more or less. I think Bonamassa is a great player and Glenn Hughes is a great singer but just don't find myself wanting to listen to the songs.

My feelings too. I was hoping the two of them together would be an absolutely kick-ass combination, but ended up disappointed. Hughes is one of my favorite artists and his solo stuff is fantastic IMO. "One last soul" (which I think is the strongest track off of either disc) is typical of his solo stuff. The rest of it falls short though.

• Members

But, I listened to them at work the other day, and it was quite enjoyable. I found that if I wasnt focusing on the music, I actually enjoyed it. The leads would jump out and id be like
:eek:

I wont come out and say I'm a fan, but I will be giving him another listen.

I don't know why any fan of music wouldn't like it...but it's cool to know you are reconsidering.

It seems we all just want to be blown away..our balls shredded off...face melted. But..sometimes it's just music. I think sometimes.....some of them do it on purpose. Where's the next blown away, whens the next ball shredded off, where's the next facemelt.

How about just play some music? :idea:

• Members

I don't know why any fan of music wouldn't like it...but it's cool to know you are reconsidering.

It seems we all just want to be blown away..our balls shredded off...face melted. But..sometimes it's just music. I think sometimes.....some of them do it on purpose. Where's the next blown away, whens the next ball shredded off, where's the next facemelt.

How about just play some music?
:idea:

That's just it, I just don't fine the music that good, song-wise. I don't really care about being "blown away" by guitar playing. Lots of bands I do listen to on a regular basis don't have face-melting solos, just good songs.

• Members

That's just it, I just don't fine the music that good, song-wise. I don't really care about being "blown away" by guitar playing. Lots of bands I do listen to on a regular basis don't have face-melting solos, just good songs.

If this were there only band/project...I'd agree (and I do basically).

But this is one of several things they are involved in. Not sure you can give 100%. idunno...maybe just an excuse?

• Members

To each his own, but I'd absolutely disagree and think that BCC writes some {censored}ing phenomenal songs! Ain't subjectivity a hoot?! :o

• Members

At the risk of sounding cliche, I feel like they play it too safe. Off each album there are a few really good songs. And Glen's playing and voice are {censored}ing phenomenal (as is Bonamassa), but I need more danger in my rock 'n roll. I actually went back and listened to it hoping maybe I was in the wrong mood.

I did however love the live show they played on Paladia. And I'd imagine this band live is pretty {censored}ing spectacular. I saw Bonamassa live in

• Members

you think? He's never struck me as someone who holds resentment towards anyone for not being bigger. He just seems like he loves playing and is happy that he's able to do so
:idk:

Agreed. It's not like he's bitching about that stuff all the time. Just once in a while when the industry gives him a firm punch in the balls. The rest of the time, he's cool as hell and you can really see how much passion he has for the music and for doing what he does.

Archived