Thats it, I'm done caring about politics...

kooter82

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2 people in a household making 6 figures is middle class how again? Middle class to me is is each person making between 50-80k a year.

So basically a household would be making 100k-160k in your example which would be middle class.

However, a house making 6 figures is not.

Is this real life?

• Members

2 people in a household making 6 figures is middle class how again? Middle class to me is is each person making between 50-80k a year.

So basically a household would be making 100k-160k in your example which would be middle class.

Is this real life?

• Members

Is this real life?

• Members

I don't feel rich and I don't live like a rich person. I'd be willing to bet most people on this board have better gear that I do and pretty much everyone has a better car than me.

I wonder if anyone in this thread who actually makes between $200K and $250 would call themselves rich.

• Members

Come on, you live in the city with the highest average rent in the country (according to some possibly bull{censored} article I read). A decent/nice 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago is $2k a month. Hell, it goes up from there. Want a house in the burbs? You're looking at $400k-500k for a decently nice house.

Income tax in the low bracket is 20-25%

Sales tax in Chicago is 10%

Property tax on a smallish house in the burbs is $6k per year. My drummers old parents house, which was an extreme case, was $42k per year in property tax.

Gas today is $4.59 per gallon

{censored}, taking the Metra is $5.50 each way

It adds up. I don't necessarily think $200k is middle class, but it's fairly common to 2 worker households to be close to that. Yes, you should be able to live comfortably at that point, but it doesn't mean you're knees deep in cash.

• Members

Depends on the town but $100,000 does not go as far as it used to. Expect to drive old cars, take limited vacations, send kids to public school, have trouble saving for retirement and kids' colleges, think twice and save up before buying random crap like $1000 guitars. Not typically a lifestyle most would consider "upper class".

• Members

Come on, you live in the city with the highest average rent in the country (according to some possibly bull{censored} article I read). A decent/nice 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago is $2k a month. Hell, it goes up from there. Want a house in the burbs? You're looking at $400k-500k for a decently nice house.

Income tax in the low bracket is 20-25%

Sales tax in Chicago is 10%

Property tax on a smallish house in the burbs is $6k per year.
My drummers old parents house, which was an extreme case, was $42k per year in property tax.

Gas today is $4.59 per gallon

{censored}, taking the Metra is $5.50 each way

It adds up. I don't necessarily think $200k is middle class, but it's fairly common to 2 worker households to be close to that. Yes, you should be able to live comfortably at that point, but it doesn't mean you're knees deep in cash.

Whoa. Holy {censored}.

• Members

Depends on the town but $100,000 does not go as far as it used to. Expect to drive old cars, take limited vacations, send kids to public school, have trouble saving for retirement and kids' colleges, think twice and save up before buying random crap like $1000 guitars. Not typically a lifestyle most would consider "upper class".

Yep. I live in a $320K house. The wife and I make $120K, tops. Don't feel rich.

Should I?

To each man; let him determine when to cease seeking riches. Let no man get in his way and let God be his guidance.

• Members

About leveling the playing field...

One thing that's always bothered me about the ideological position of the hardcore right wing... You, and they, seem to see it as an ideological issue. Must protect the wealth of the super rich because by God they earned it. Mustn't steal the wealth of the rich and give to those lazy {censored}s on the bottom because if they had more drive they wouldn't be poor right?

Here's a different way of looking at it...

The low/middle class make up the vast bulk of your consumers. They spend far more money than your rich folks. It's in the economies best interest to make sure they have money to spend because if they're taken care of everyone, even the rich keep getting richer through increasing aggregate demand. If you take what we've had over the last 30 or so years which is increasingly more and more of our society's wealth being trapped at the top echelon or being lodged in offshore accounts then the economy starts to go stagnant because demand starts to falter.

Here's yet another way to look at it....

By simple math, folks get rich becasue they generate more than they consume, they have to...otherwise they wouldn't be "rich".

The goal should be to keep those people doing that, and make it easier for others to be the same way by letting them keep their money to the greatest extent possible.

Because a magical thing happens...when more people are producing, (as opposed to just consuming), they provide more net revenue to the coffers.

We saw the phenomena in the late '90s when many folks were making $$ in the stock market. An increase in the volume of cap gains tax payers gave us a surplus. during the .com bubble.

• Members

To each man; let him determine when to cease seeking riches. Let no man get in his way and let God be his guidance.

I don't think anyone is talking about ceasing to stop anyone from seeking riches but when you have the top 1%-5% owning all wealth were will you go then? That seems to be where we are headed.

Right now the top 400 own more wealth than over 50% of all USA citizens combined. That's 400 people owning more than 155 million combined. I guess if you want to play monopoly with the USA wealth then we are heading in the right direction and you and everyone else is about to hit boardwalk with $100 in your account. Game over.

• Members

Agree with all. I just get tired of folks whining about "outsourcing jerbs" when they have no problem buying luxury items they can only afford becasue they're made overseas.

They can only afford them being made overseas because wages are going down and the jobless rate is skyrocketing instead of progressing while everything else is going up.

The USA use to be pretty self efficient and due to that USA workers were able to buy USA manufactured products. Companies could afford to to spend more to make the products in the USA and sell them for higher prices for their profits because people had good paying jobs and didn't have to worry about buying cheap China, etc.. made products. Take textiles/clothing for example. Around 95% of all clothing sold in the USA use to be made in the USA. Now that is around 5%.

• Members

I don't think anyone is talking about ceasing to stop anyone from seeking riches but when you have the top 1%-5% owning all wealth were will you go then? That seems to be where we are headed.

Right now the top 400 own more wealth than over 50% of all USA citizens combined. That's 400 people owning more than 155 million combined. I guess if you want to play monopoly with the USA wealth then we are heading in the right direction and you and everyone else is about to hit boardwalk with $100 in your account. Game over.

Why don't people just play their own game? The ugliest thing in the world is when someone plays the victim and does nothing but looking for retribution, full time.

Who gives a {censored} about what the rich do? Like their number one motive is making sure that Jed and Sally have absolutely nothing. {censored} is written in Marxist fairy tales.

• Members

They can only afford them being made overseas because wages are going down and the jobless rate is skyrocketing instead of progressing while everything else is going up.

The USA use to be pretty self efficient and due to that USA workers were able to buy USA manufactured products. Companies could afford to to spend more to make the products in the USA and sell them for higher prices for their profits because people had good paying jobs and didn't have to worry about buying cheap China, etc.. made products. Take textiles/clothing for example. Around 95% of all clothing sold in the USA use to be made in the USA. Now that is around 5%.

Chicken-Egg

Middle-class in the '50s has a 1200 sq ft house, 1 car, 1 phone, 1 tv, and 1 phone.

We demand cheap luxury goods, so to meet the demand, companies offshore labor to get the cost down. I know families on food stamps that have flat screen TVs, cell phones for their kids, and xboxs.

• Members

Chicken-Egg

Middle-class in the '50s has a 1200 sq ft house, 1 car, 1 phone, 1 tv, and 1 phone.

We demand cheap luxury goods, so to meet the demand, companies offshore labor to get the cost down. I know families on food stamps that have flat screen TVs, cell phones for their kids, and xboxs.

Yeah, people who cheat the system and make money under the table, probably by selling drugs. Now the American dream is bitching and whining until the lowest common denominator selfishly gets their way, never mind all the people they stepped and trampled over to get it. Most of us don't even know what it means to have something "Made in America" unless it's a guitar or an amp or an extremely overpriced boo-tweeked pedal, when the amp should say "Manufactured in America out of Chinese parts".

It's pretty {censored}ing heartbreaking when your "great" uncle and your gf's grandfather sit there, affected by Agent Orange, going, "Why the {censored} did I even defend this country, just so Bu-Clint-Bu-Bama can give it away?"

• Members

Chicken-Egg

Inconvenient truth right there.

• Members

It's pretty {censored}ing heartbreaking when your "great" uncle and your gf's grandfather sit there, affected by Agent Orange, going, "Why the {censored} did I even defend this country, just so Bu-Clint-Bu-Bama can give it away?"

You're not very intelligent if you think it's clinton or obama that is giving away your country.

Archived