I really hate not being in a band or even having people I can jam with...

Spaced Out Ace

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
with a modeler and even so, a 212 + 2 guitars + a modeler + some sort of power amp would be a lot easier to carry than a 412 and a tube head.

Yup, you live in "Parts unknown" :lol:

My band actually had a gig booked in Yakima a few weeks back, but had to cancel due to giving our Bass player the axe a few weeks before.
Sorta glad anyways, as that was gonna be a massive drive............. :rolleyes:

• Members

Ace, I know how you feel. It's probably been 5 years since I've played a real gig, and it's now getting on 2 years since I've played with a full band. All we need is a decent drummer, but they just don't exist around here. The few decent drummers out there are already in bands. I've put up my own ads, responded to others ads, etc., but people always end up being flaky, unreliable, totally unskilled, or just plain whack-jobs. It's so frustrating that we have good gear, a great jam space with a good drum kit, and we STILL can't pull {censored} together.

In the meantime, me and the other guitar player, and the bass player/vocalist, have been writing songs and recording, but it would be so much better with a drummer.

As for budget recording set-ups, here's what I use:

Line 6 UX2 interface - can be found used for $100 ish

Shure PG57 Mic - $50 ish

My powered monitors are some semi-budget brand that cost $120, and I use some cheapo Sony MDR-XD200 headphones. I think they were $45 at most.

Does a great job.

• Members

I hear you. The local music scene SUCKS here. Everyone believes he's going to "make it" and everyone is so freakin' serious about their music when they should be serious about practicing. Oh, and everyone is a "song writer" here. I use quotes because by song writer they mean a "really, {censored}ty song writer".

Then there is the guitar talent. I just can't hang. I'm not a bad player but so many people here are jaw-droppingly good. Even the little punks playing Line6 Djent at Guitar Center play so well it makes my weenie smaller just to listen to them.

If I were back in Richmond, VA or even Memphis I'd have several bands I could sit in with and at least sing a few songs but here, there is nothing.

• Members

Bedroom playing with a Fryette isn't much fun at all. It's not inspiring to play an amp that's being choked just so people won't bitch at you about the noise and unless you push Eminence speakers, they sound kinda lifeless as well.

The problem is, though, that I'm getting the urge to do other things with my playing, like maybe trying my hand at recording, but I'm too lazy and broke to get recording {censored} like monitors, interface, a good mic, etc.

thats when you sell your fryette, buy a GSP1101 and decent power amp for maybe 650 combined, use the usb right from the gsp into Reaper which you downloaded for free and you are ready to record and be a contributor to the musical world. or you can keep the fryette, not be inspired to play, never get better, never learn to record and whatnot, but hey youll have a Fryette to put in your sig for some HCAF cred points.

• Members

thats when you sell your fryette, buy a GSP1101 and decent power amp for maybe 650 combined, use the usb right from the gsp into Reaper which you downloaded for free and you are ready to record and be a contributor to the musical world. or you can keep the fryette, not be inspired to play, never get better, never learn to record and whatnot, but hey youll have a Fryette to put in your sig for some HCAF cred points.

Selling my Fryette isn't going to be as easy as that unless I only want $650 for it. Yakima is cheap as hell, but I wouldn't mind meeting someone from the pacific northwest halfway and trade for a :snax: or something similar. I'm just not really sure how to go about setting up a trade with someone respectable around here. :idk:

• Members

Well, at least I'm not the only one. You're closer than I am, and still can't find a drummer. Totally sucks.

The thing is, it's not even that I'm picky or inflexible. I'm into all kinds of music. I'd be willing to play classic rock covers, contemporary garbage, death metal, hardcore, thrash, stoner rock, basically anything except for {censored}ing country music. Ironically, I'd probably have no problem finding people who wanted to play country. The music scene here is seriously THAT lame.

• Members

The thing is, it's not even that I'm picky or inflexible. I'm into all kinds of music. I'd be willing to play classic rock covers, contemporary garbage, death metal, hardcore, thrash, stoner rock, basically anything except for {censored}ing country music. Ironically, I'd probably have no problem finding people who wanted to play country. The music scene here is seriously THAT lame.

I'm kinda picky, but not incredibly picky. Like for instance, I'd want to play things that got my jollies off and fulfilled my musical needs, but as long as I get to play something kind of heavy, then I'm good. All the drummers are either currently in bands, don't have gear, or need to sell their gear because drumming just isn't for them.

• Members

Bedroom playing with a Fryette isn't much fun at all.

$100 modeler. Its what they're good for. Mustang 1, a little vox, cube, etc.

Looper pedal so you can make some rhythm tracks to jam to.

Recording:

$100 USB interface, my 2 ch Alesis works fine.

Audacity is free, there are other decent free audio programs as well.

Garage band or Mixcraft is better and still dosn't cost much.

No way I'd get rid of a nice boutique amp. Sooner or later, a live playing opportunity will arise.

If I was moving to Texas, I'd get a Ted Green chord book and start learning how to comp Western Swing, and learn a buncha fiddle tunes.

• Members

$100 modeler. Its what they're good for. Mustang 1, a little vox, cube, etc.

Looper pedal so you can make some rhythm tracks to jam to.

Recording:

$100 USB interface, my 2 ch Alesis works fine.

Audacity is free, there are other decent free audio programs as well.

Garage band or Mixcraft is better and still dosn't cost much.

No way I'd get rid of a nice boutique amp. Sooner or later, a live playing opportunity will arise.

If I was moving to Texas, I'd get a Ted Green chord book and start learning how to comp Western Swing, and learn a buncha fiddle tunes.

Some good options, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing Western Swing much. :lol:

• Members

I miss being in a band too. The last one I was in was a total musical dictatorship, but the one before that was great since I had a writing partner that I gelled really well with.

I still get to play with him, but he doesn't have the time to make any kind of commitment to a band right now.

My CL is great for gear, but the musicians section is 90% indie and other stuff that I have no interest in

• Members

I miss being in a band too. The last one I was in was a total musical dictatorship, but the one before that was great since I had a writing partner that I gelled really well with. I still get to play with him, but he doesn't have the time to make any kind of commitment to a band right now.

Oh, that sounds like a ton of fun. :facepalm:

I used to have a writing partner that was fun to write {censored} with. He'd come up with some great ideas until he started doing drugs and everything was just weird and seemed almost impossible to play. Only problem was he wasn't local and we'd do the writing on guitar pro. Was better than nothing, though, and it taught me how to write better and arrange, so that was pretty worthwhile regardless.

Archived