Easy thread - best power tubes for a 6505+

satannica

• Members

I've used the winged =C= in my 2x12 combo and they did sound good, but I also tried the jj 6l6 and its tough to argue against those.. They have a little deeper low end than the winged C and more power, ime..

I liked the stiffness that the winged C provided.

• Members

I liked the stiffness that the winged C provided.

Did you ever turn it up? Lol j/k but you seem to play so quiet I'm not sure you can hear the difference.. My post gain is on at last 2 whenever I play. I just need some volume to get the tone I need.. And I actually don't feel they are stiff.. They actually seemed to have a nice sponginess to them With more mids and a nice low end.. The jj has a deeper low end that feels pretty bold and "stiff", but the fatness in the lows keeps it bouncy on the chugs like I like..

• Members

Did you ever turn it up? Lol j/k but you seem to play so quiet I'm not sure you can hear the difference.. My post gain is on at last 2 whenever I play. I just need some volume to get the tone I need.. And I actually don't feel they are stiff.. They actually seemed to have a nice sponginess to them With more mids and a nice low end.. The jj has a deeper low end that feels pretty bold and "stiff", but the fatness in the lows keeps it bouncy on the chugs like I like..

Yeah, Im just talking about feel lol. I never cranked the combo, cept for maybe once haha. I had the 6505+ for like 6 months with the band, before I got the Mako, though. haha...the 6 months before I had the +, I had a JSX then a 5150 also haha.

• Members

Yeah, Im just talking about feel lol. I never cranked the combo, cept for maybe once haha. I had the 6505+ for like 6 months with the band, before I got the Mako, though. haha...the 6 months before I had the +, I had a JSX then a 5150 also haha.

The combo does do great at low volumes, but it really does come to life when turned up.. Which is why I think my settings sound so bassy to you.. At low, really low volumes in your case, the bass is pretty up front,, but overall I think the combo lacks bass, which is why I have mine set a lot higher.. Unless your combo is much different than mine, but once you get to about 2 on the post gain, I think that's about when the amp kinda balances out with the overall eq and it lacks low end, especially compared up the heads. But I wont turn this into another combo thread! Lol

• Members

The combo does do great at low volumes, but it really does come to life when turned up.. Which is why I think my settings sound so bassy to you.. At low, really low volumes in your case, the bass is pretty up front,, but overall I think the combo lacks bass, which is why I have mine set a lot higher.. Unless your combo is much different than mine, but once you get to about 2 on the post gain, I think that's about when the amp kinda balances out with the overall eq and it lacks low end, especially compared up the heads. But I wont turn this into another combo thread! Lol

Starting new thread momentarily :lol:

• Members

SED 6L6s sound terrible in my experience. I'm really not sure how they gained the hype they have around them. I've tried them in a number of amps (including my 6505+) and they always made the amp sound "hard" and feel terrible. The best in the 6505+ IMO are JJs or Rubys (which I think may be the same thing, but I'm not sure).

• Members

SED 6L6s sound terrible in my experience. I'm really not sure how they gained the hype they have around them. I've tried them in a number of amps (including my 6505+) and they always made the amp sound "hard" and feel terrible. The best in the 6505+ IMO are JJs or Rubys (which I think may be the same thing, but I'm not sure).

Yeah I really liked the JJ's when I had the 5150 combo..

• Members

JJ's sound like ass. If you want Ruby's and can't find them, just get Mesa's. They are the same thing and should be easy to find, even in the UK.

What? I haven't heard any power tubes sound like ass.. other than defective ones. I have heard ones that sound a bit different here and there, but its not a "night/day" kind of thing.

Archived