Anyone like hunting here?

Slaymoar

• Members

Birds are usually shot with shotguns. Not likely you will kill one with a rifle when flying, and they will be flying.

.243 can be used to shoot deer.

I hunted deer with a smooth bore 12 gauge for several years, and felt comfortable shooting out to 50-70 yards. That gun was also used to shoot pheasant.

Why don't you want a shotgun?

Hunting season has started up here, I'm going to start planning a few weekends to go out and get me some grouse/partrige. I'm thinking about getting a nice 22 rifle, I'm all about an accurate headshot, and I've been very successful with that caliber. However, I do also want to have a bit more firepower to at least be albe to hunt a bit of a larger game. So now I'm looking at probably getting a 243.. Yes the caliber is overkill for small bird, but I always do headshots so I shouldn't have any waste right? Then at least I can go deer hunting or varmint etc.. Not sure yet, just can't afford two rifles, and I am NOT interested in a shotgun.

:idk:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}er is heavy as {censored}, huh?

Pics plox!

Who built the upper? Price?

It's obscenely heavy for an AR. It's a Doublestar Upper. The quality for $$ ratio is unreal. Not counting optics, I have about $800 in this build. I got a great deal on it. I'm gonna have about 1500-1600 in it once I get the optics, mount, and bipod on there.

ar15.jpg

• Members

It's obscenely heavy for an AR. It's a Doublestar Upper. The quality for $$ ratio is unreal. Not counting optics, I have about $800 in this build. I got a great deal on it. I'm gonna have about 1500-1600 in it once I get the optics, mount, and bipod on there.

ar15.jpg

That'll be a sick hog/deer gun.

Get your form 4 and that barrel cut for a suppressor...:thu:

• Members

Hunting is for douche bags that like to kill animals for entertainment. It's primitive, unnecessary, it's taking advantage of another species lack of intelligence and weakness, creating more suffering and pain for nothing other then to get sick jollies.

I knew this was coming.. PETA dude is mad..

• Members

I knew this was coming.. PETA dude is mad..

It's not a PETA thing...even stone cold hunters see city folk trophy hunters as jokes, that neither have the skills nor the justification to come in and wipe out the local food supply for entertainment. If the plane goes down and your starving fine...but to kill for fun is flat out for pussies...I know, I've been a range master for better then 6 years at the local gun club...few got my respect because few were nothing more then guys who took pot shots at anything that moved...

If you can kill an animal for fun, then it's fair game that a guy can come up and kick your ass for fun. Same rationale, the only difference is what the regulations on the books say, and in some parts of the world it's fair game on each other...so how many 'hunters' would make it there? About zero, because in the end, they will only take down what is easy and what doesn't shoot back.

• Members

It's not a PETA thing...even stone cold hunters see city folk trophy hunters as jokes, that neither have the skills nor the justification to come in and wipe out the local food supply for entertainment. If the plane goes down and your starving fine...but to kill for fun is flat out for pussies...I know, I've been a range master for better then 6 years at the local gun club...few got my respect because few were nothing more then guys who took pot shots at anything that moved...

If you can kill an animal for fun, then it's fair game that a guy can come up and kick your ass for fun. Same rationale, the only difference is what the regulations on the books say, and in some parts of the world it's fair game on each other...so how many 'hunters' would make it there? About zero, because in the end, they will only take down what is easy and what doesn't shoot back.

There are idiots out there that are very stupid and treat hunting like call of duty, and yes they ruin it for many people.

But everyone I know that hunts, does so with respect to nature and enjoy hunting for the game it is supposed to be. To me, I like going out and feeling at one with nature. I like feeling that connection, and the sensation of the hunt. I like taking my game back home and offering it to my family. Something from the land. And I like shiny new guns.

I think there is more respect in the type of hunt I do, then in any other form of animal destruction; like everything found in grocery store fridges and butcher shops. It is more humane to shoot an animal and kill it immediately than catch a fish and starve it slowly from water or oxygen in the water, or let it die slowly from a mouth wound.

• Members

Do you blokes, who take deer and boar, do your own butchering or what?

I've had a yen to do boar hunting for a few years, but I'd want to get someone to do the butchering nicely. The cost of getting it cured, smoked, bacon, sausages, etc. adds quite a chunk to the butchering cost. You can get quite a lot of meat off of a boar. :lol:

• Members

I've had a yen to do boar hunting for a few years, but I'd want to get someone to do the butchering nicely. The cost of getting it cured, smoked, bacon, sausages, etc. adds quite a chunk to the butchering cost. You can get quite a lot of meat off of a boar.
:lol:

Last time I killed a boar, we just hung his ass upside down on a lift, slit the neck and bled him dry :idk:

• Members

I've had a yen to do boar hunting for a few years, but I'd want to get someone to do the butchering nicely. The cost of getting it cured, smoked, bacon, sausages, etc. adds quite a chunk to the butchering cost. You can get quite a lot of meat off of a boar.

Around here, processors will charge between $50-$75. They'll age it and make the cuts you want, they'll dry it to jerky if that's your thing. They'll make breakfast or summer sausage (adding the spices those require) and smoke it if you want them to...they mix beef fat in with the hamburger at the percentage you specify.

• Members

Butcher my own. I have a grinder, cuber, slicer and vacuum sealer and can make just about anything I want out of it. Takes me and the wife a couple hours to process one deer but it is WELL worth it!

• Members

You shoot a fish? :confused:

When I fish in Alaska, I snag a silver, net him, knife both gills and launch his ass up on the bank.

For the halibut in Alaska, bat to the dome piece= goodnight sweet prince

There are idiots out there that are very stupid and treat hunting like call of duty, and yes they ruin it for many people.

But everyone I know that hunts, does so with respect to nature and enjoy hunting for the game it is supposed to be. To me, I like going out and feeling at one with nature. I like feeling that connection, and the sensation of the hunt. I like taking my game back home and offering it to my family. Something from the land. And I like shiny new guns.

I think there is more respect in the type of hunt I do, then in any other form of animal destruction; like everything found in grocery store fridges and butcher shops. It is more humane to shoot an animal and kill it immediately than catch a fish and starve it slowly from water or oxygen in the water, or let it die slowly from a mouth wound.

• Members
You shoot a fish?
:confused:

When I fish in Alaska, I snag a silver, net him, knife both gills and launch his ass up on the bank.

For the halibut in Alaska, bat to the dome piece= goodnight sweet prince

It depends on the situation whether I'll bleed a fish or throw it on ice if it's a keeper because it's going to be a while before we go in. I usually don't want blood everywhere in the ice chest. Sometimes I may take a few minutes and filet it and be done with it but the carcass can make great fertilizer. It just all depends on the fish, where we are, the limits, the laws, etc., and I'm usually in the deep south's salt water somewhere.

We are thawing some fresh Salmon a buddy brought back from Alaska not long ago tonight.:thu:

Archived