Anyone like hunting here?

Slaymoar

• Members

Hunting is for douche bags that like to kill animals for entertainment. It's primitive, unnecessary, it's taking advantage of another species lack of intelligence and weakness, creating more suffering and pain for nothing other then to get sick jollies.

:lol:

Are you {censored}ing serious? Animals hunt eachother all the goddamn time, but we can't do the same? Stupid pussified liberals. :facepalm:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds kinda pussified to me. At least shotguns and bows are still an option. That said, I'd love to go hunting sometime, but I've yet to do so. No one to go with, so it kinda sucks.

We have a few no-rifles zones around here, but all we have to do is drive 30 minutes out to leave this zone. But to be completely restricted really sucks. I would just drive out of that state to go hunting, or go on a private property where the rangers cannot trespass, then you can do whatever you want.

• Members

We have a few no-rifles zones around here, but all we have to do is drive 30 minutes out to leave this zone. But to be completely restricted really sucks. I would just drive out of that state to go hunting, or go on a private property where the rangers cannot trespass, then you can do whatever you want.

Well, at least you have an option, which is good. If you hunted bigger game, what would you be most interested in?

• Members

That sucks dude.. Maybe you go to {censored}ty spots? How do you hunt? I walk trails, or drive around gravel roads for hours. In a day 7am to 7pm, I usually get about 5 birds. Some days I only get 2-3. Funny thing is I always see animals I don't have tags for. But now it's time for me to get my own rifle since I always hunt with friends that already own guns and have been putting off getting my possession license until now.

You still need a PAL for a .22 :lipsaresealed:

Edit: I see you don't actually own one of those either. Reading comprehension fail

• Members

I'm gonna give it a go this year. My area of NY doesn't allow rifle for deer either, but a shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabots is still accurate enough to enjoy one's self.

I'll be on private property.

OP: What about picking up a M91/30 and a cheaper whatever you want .22lr? You could be in less than 300 for both.

• Members

I'm gonna give it a go this year. My area of NY doesn't allow rifle for deer either, but a shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabots is still accurate enough to enjoy one's self.

I'll be on private property.

OP: What about picking up a M91/30 and a cheaper whatever you want .22lr? You could be in less than 300 for both.

$300 for two guns is fine, but I want nice guns.. kind of like picking up guitars. I don't want the dead cheapest ones, I want something at least half-decent.

• Members

$300 for two guns is fine, but I want nice guns.. kind of like picking up guitars. I don't want the dead cheapest ones, I want something at least half-decent.

That's no problem - purchase used. You can get a Marlin lever rifle in .30-30 for around $350 US. They're great rifles and excellent for most deer hunting. Open 'iron' sights and good to around 200m. Not a lot of deer hunting falls outside those parameters, except out to the west.

• Members

I gotta say, the rifle is an interesting choice for a small bird. A head shot gives you about a dime size target. Unless you absolutely know your gun, and the precise distance, optical sights aren't a good choice. I would get a good .22 with iron sights. I have a CZ and it is very nice and very precise. I have a scope on it sighted in at 50 yards and can put bullets inside the opening on a can.

I don't hunt much anymore. I love to hunt pheasants but there numbers are so far down it is futile in the places I used to hunt. I have so many deer on my property that there is no challenge and I don't make time to process them so the meat is prohibitively expensive. My wife got a turkey with my shotgun on Monday, headshot only with a shotgun. I am looking forward to dinner on Sunday!

I am now devising more interesting targets to shoot. (Moving, pop-up/fall down, and exploding)

• Members

THEN all you have to do is find somewhere you can hunt. You MAY have trouble finding that in New Jersey...I know you guys are the Garden State...but when I was there it was more like the industrial district of memphis for miles on end.

Deer population here is totally out of control:

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2012/08/randolph_deer_population_unbel.html

• Members

I gotta say, the rifle is an interesting choice for a small bird. A head shot gives you about a dime size target.

It's not as hard as it might seem. They are usually within 30-50 feet.. with iron sights that's a perfect distance. I'm a pretty steady shot and the bird is usually trying to stay still because it thinks I can't see it. Sometimes I miss, and they don't even move. Other times I miss and they fly away somewhere not too far and I get a second shot. I never shoot a flying bird.

• Members

It's not as hard as it might seem. They are usually within 30-50 feet.. with iron sights that's a perfect distance. I'm a pretty steady shot and the bird is usually trying to stay still because it thinks I can't see it. Sometimes I miss, and they don't even move. Other times I miss and they fly away somewhere not too far and I get a second shot. I never shoot a flying bird.

Hence the iron sight recommendation! 30-50 feet is great with iron sights.

• Members

Love hunting,been out quite a bit looking for one of these,I didnt get lucky enough to draw a tag,however my friend did.You score a tag for one of these and its like winning the lottery up here in Montana, since they only draw 25 tags.Beautiful animals,you can sneak up on them within 50 yards in the right situation,they hang out in some rugged terrain.We havent found big Louis yet,still searching! bhorn.jpg

• Members

Hence the iron sight recommendation! 30-50 feet is great with iron sights.

Yep, I think I might try a scope though. I want to see if I can find one with top degradation marks, kind of like this:

jan09retchart.jpg

I would just have to find which mark does what distance. Should be a fun day at the range :cop:

• Members

Love hunting,been out quite a bit looking for one of these,I didnt get lucky enough to draw a tag,however my friend did.You score a tag for one of these and its like winning the lottery up here in Montana, since they only draw 25 tags.Beautiful animals,you can sneak up on them within 50 yards in the right situation,they hang out in some rugged terrain.We havent found big Louis yet,still searching!
bhorn.jpg

Wow! That's quite the game man! That's a little too big for me though. Dragging that thing back to the road and prepping it would be a 3-5 guy job.

• Members
Wow! That's quite the game man! That's a little too big for me though. Dragging that thing back to the road and prepping it would be a 3-5 guy job.

Yes its definetly gonna be alot of work,but 3 of us usually always go.Also if your gonna look at scopes,check these Redfields out,I have 2 of them,really impressed with these,have a set of binoculars as well.Fairly inexpensive but the prices keep going up! http://redfield.com/riflescopes/

• Members

the thing with the scope is, it sits 1-1/2" or so above the barrel. 25' is a pretty good angle between the barrel and your line of sight. you will be more than a 1/2" high or low at almost any other distance.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I'll try both and see what I like :idk:

Archived