How long should i put up with bad tech production?

lenster

• Members

How long should i put up with bad tech production?

signed on to join a tribute show about 12 weeks ago.

It was short notice but i was familiar with the artist and songs, and was keen on it anyway.

I busted my guts learning the tunes and travelling 1 1/2 hrs each way for rehearsals.

Well to be honest i'm underwhelmed, each gig has been less than perfect, quite the opposite and i'm pretty fussy when it comes to gettin it right b4 u play. We have had little if no monitor mix and to throw it into more chaos in ears have been added at our last show, only the lead ( myself and the girl for the support show) had any mix, vocals only, that was probably the hardest gig i've done in 10 years.

"Great production is the key" , well it falls far short of that quote from him.

He's more concerned about image and stage presence rather than the overall sound quality and musicianship.

I told myself i would give it 6 mths and then re asess from there, it's been three and i'm embaressed to be part of it.

Should i stick it out and hope it gets better or just can it now, which is how i'm feeling. though i really want it to work.

:confused::facepalm:

• Members

Yep, bought it up with the manager and he said just learn your parts and concentrate on your image and stage presence .

He agrees there are major issues with production. My point is, if your trying to sell a show all this should be organised, i thought i'd be the one getting told to keep up or else, quite the opposite.

• Members

Is the show selling well? Are you getting paid? A tribute band is a job at the end of the day. If I was going to quit my job every time something was half-assed in the company I am working for, I'd be unemployed very often.

Since you already brought it up to management and nothing happened, your options are to either roll with it or quit and risk being without work for a while. Part of being a professional is to be able to perform your job under any circumstances. You did your part by bringing up your concerns to your boss. Now you either keep working or quit. I am sure they will find somebody else that's willing to do it (if there is decent pay involved). You can do the same and find a band that is up to your standards, if you're so inclined.

• Members

Audience reaction has been poor IMHO , I think as part of my set that the stage presence is good. Pay is OK but. I have yet to be paid, we bill on a monthly cycle. I think i am being very proffessional Billy, which adds to my concerns and yes i could easily do my own thing and earn the same if not more with less travel. it's a shame really cause my initial thoughts were high.

Billy u bought up some great points , these i've already considered which is why i'm holding on.

• Members

He's more concerned about image and stage presence rather than the overall sound quality and musicianship.

pretty much sums up all of the tribute acts around my area.

I was in a Queensryche tribute last year, and for the most part the players were good, but the other guitarist had this "it's close enough" attitude for learning parts. Drummer was terrible too, which is just horrible when trying to play Queensryche. That doesn't really fly with me, so I bowed out this year. The keyboard player was the {censored} though, which IMO kept everything at least feeling cool, but just not enough for me to jump on with them this time around.

Yeah, to some a tribute may just be work, but I don't see it that way. If that was the case I'd be in a KC and the Sunshine band tribute right now and making serious jack. For me, it's got to be a band that I love (I've been in 3 tributes), which ends up really bugging me if the other players aren't up to snuff or taking their parts seriously.

take from this what you will, don't know if it really helped or not.

• Members

Working on a tribute right now and we will definitely not play out until it's 100% legit. To the OP, do what you think is right. If they aren't interested in getting it down because they are getting booked doing a B- show, then that probably isn't going to change and YOU are going to have to deal with it.

• Members

i'd rather no monitors than in ears with vocals only.

also, i've rarely had a monitor mix that was worth a {censored}. 90% of the gigs i've played involved me only being able to hear me and maybe the drummer. a {censored}ty stage mix is part of not being in a huge band with a full time sound guy and your own PA, IMO.

• Members

Working on a tribute right now and we will definitely not play out until it's 100% legit. To the OP, do what you think is right. If they aren't interested in getting it down because they are getting booked doing a B- show, then that probably isn't going to change and YOU are going to have to deal with it.

Totally agree here

• Members

i'd rather no monitors than in ears with vocals only.

also, i've rarely had a monitor mix that was worth a {censored}. 90% of the gigs i've played involved me only being able to hear me and maybe the drummer. a {censored}ty stage mix is part of not being in a huge band with a full time sound guy and your own PA, IMO.

The manager has hired a sound & lighting guy, light show is decent........

• Members

.......Pay is OK but. I have yet to be paid, we bill on a monthly cycle..........

I would stick it out at least until you get paid - bail now and you may not see anything.

Do you have any members that feel the same as you?

If there are a couple of people bringing up points - you would be more likely to be heard.

Also agree with talking to the sound guy at a one-to-one level.

• Members

I told myself i would give it 6 mths and then re asess from there, it's been three and i'm embaressed to be part of it.

Should i stick it out and hope it gets better or just can it now, which is how i'm feeling. though i really want it to work.

:confused::facepalm:

despite wanting it to work, its not going to get better and you are only going to keep embarrassing yourself

Archived