Favorite brand and gauge of strings

Spaced Out Ace

• Members

Sure I have always done warm up exercises and stretching before I play. The thing is not everyone can play heavy strings, it all depends on how strong your tendons are and each person is different. The problem is you just find out it was too much for you when it's too late and the damage is done. I was lucky to get treatment at an early stage and was able to make a full recovery but for a lot of people the damage is permanent. It's just not worth the risk, I plan to continue to play guitar for the rest of my life.

I went through some similar {censored} with tendonitis at a sightly younger age and eventually I realized, "Why am I fighting my guitar?" Went down to 9

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

D'addario 9's or 10's.. usually 10's.. but sometimes 9's are good too.

Tried Ernie Balls.. didn't really like them. I think they broke/corroded too easily. Tried Dean Markley.. liked them more but not as much as D'addario.

With D'addario I haven't broken a high E string in like 5 years? Something like that.

It's amazing how much fishing line 9's can feel compared to 10's.. if the action is set the same on both guitars. If you raise the action on the 9's it's not as bad. Something between 9's and 10's would probably be my fave.. like 46 low e and 9.5 high e.. I think they do make them.. but too much effort.. too lazy etc. 10's are ok.

• Members

Yeah. I break ALOT of strings. I have arthritis in my knees already. The past few years Ive noticed my hands & fingers bothering me alot. I think it's the same thing. I actually dont mid "fighting" my strings.. I prefer to, in a sense, because it seems like I tend to "over shoot" on lighter strings. I think Im just gonna have to practice at having a softer approach with my fretting hand & get used to it. Like Billy said, I wanna be able to continue to play for as long as I can

You just need to adjust your technique to the lighter strings and you will stop breaking strings. At the height on my tendonitis I couldn't play at all and even holding the guitar neck would cause me horrible pain, I completely lost the grip on my left hand, even my driving skills were compromised. After about 10 months of daily intense physical therapy, I was finally able to play again and it took me about one month to readjust my technique and tone. I had to make a conscious effort to play lightly for a while but it quickly became automatic and that's just how I play today.

If you are having pains in your hands and fingers, do something about it NOW because this is a progressive condition and if neglected, you WILL get to the point I got and you will be unable to play or do anything, really. And the physiotherapy {censored}ing sucks too.

• Members

yeah. Last set of strings I bought were just a standard set of ghs 11s, with the exception of the wound 20 for a G. (which I snapped in 1 day & had to replace with a plain 18) . I think maybe I'll be fine with regular 11's. Guess Ill Kinda re-learn, if you will.

• Members

I also forgot to mention that my guitar was buzzing too much with 9s and my guitars were shipped from Ltd with 10s. Could have solved it with some truss rod and bridge adjustments, but it might have been annoying as far as how I like my guitars to feel. And yes, I know the 10s are adding more bow to the guitar like adjusting the truss rod would, but it was a lot simpler solution for me.

EDIT: Btw, I found that using 9s, I was thumping the fret board with my fingertips too much, which was resulting in finger cramps and whatnot. 10s solved this since I wasn't jabbing my fingertips into the fret board. If you've played basketball, and the ball jammed your finger to where you had trouble moving it, it's kinda like a less severe form of that, I think. May just be me, though. :idk:

• Members
Ah, well that's cool!
:thu:

I prefer hex core myself. I like more tension and a little bite. I have a slightly low action with just a little bit of extra height so that there isn't too much fret buzz and I can get nice feel under the fingers. I don't like it so low as far as action goes that the strings feel limp under my fingers.
:idk:

Dig. That's why I went heavier on the bass strings ~ makes the whole guitar feel more "solid," but I still get nice, rubbery bendability on the soloing strings. :)

• Members

Jazz guy here, so feel free to stop reading!

.014 - .067 on a 25 1/2" scale archtop. La Bella 800M: Black Nylon Tape Flat Wound "Medium".

I know some guys who use 15s.

I quite liked DR's Legend Medium flatwound set. 55-13, I think they are? Very neat sound.

Archived