Favorite brand and gauge of strings

Spaced Out Ace

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DR Tite Fits & Pure Blues. Custom gauges: 9, 11, 16, 26, 38, 50. DR Sunbeams on my acoustic, also custom gauges: 11, 15, 24, 34, 45, 56. In all these sets, the heavier bass strings make the whole guitar feel more solid (& allow for more volume on the acoustic), whilst the treble strings are very bendable & easy/fun to solo on. :thu:

Edit: standard tuning.

• Members

DR Tite Fits & Pure Blues.
Custom gauges: 9, 11, 16, 26, 38, 50.
DR Sunbeams on my acoustic, also custom gauges: 11, 15, 24, 34, 45, 56. In all these sets, the heavier bass strings make the whole guitar feel more solid (& allow for more volume on the acoustic), whilst the treble strings are very bendable & easy/fun to solo on.
:thu:

Edit: standard tuning.

Not custom gauges... Pretty sure those are Dimebag gauges.

• Members

Been a longtime EB and DR user. Since Dunlop has made their own strings with my preferred gauges, I'm slowly jumping ship.

And I have guitars tuned to standard, Eb, D, C# and C.

The thinnest gauge I favor would be 10-46. I use various gauges depending on tuning and the guitar's scale.

Don't you have songs that need E though? I find I prefer E and Eb standard and drop D and drop C# most, but if I had a 3rd and/or 4th H series guitar, I'd probably tune them D standard/drop C and C# standard/drop B.

• Members
Don't you have songs that need E though? I find I prefer E and Eb standard and drop D and drop C# most, but if I had a 3rd and/or 4th H series guitar, I'd probably tune them D standard/drop C and C# standard/drop B.

I only have guitars in E standard (as well as the other tunings I mentioned) for playing along my favorite bands, and in case someone wants to record crazy {censored} on guitar that only I, supposedly, am qualified for. :lol:

I mostly write in Eb.

Oh, when i get to a point to have my own house, I'll have guitars for every tuning Kim Thayil ever used, instead of having one poor guitar bow back and forth for those tunings. :lol:

• Members

I only have guitars in E standard (as well as the other tunings I mentioned) for playing along my favorite bands, and in case someone wants to record crazy {censored} on guitar that only I, supposedly, am qualified for.
:lol:

I mostly write in Eb.

Oh, when i get to a point to have my own house, I'll have guitars for every tuning Kim Thayil ever used, instead of having one poor guitar bow back and forth for those tunings.
:lol:

Hmm... explain? I thought you lived with the wifey? Do you just have one guitar? I thought you had a few different ones, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps you meant you have one guitar that you change the tuning on based on your interests at the time or whatever. I dunno... :lol:

• Members

Elixir Nanoweb 10's on my standard guitars, 12's on the D Standard, Baritone set on the Baritone.

Elixer Polyweb .10s.

I don't care for the Nanowebs on most guitars, because I like my sound to be bright.

This seems backwards to me. Polywebs have a much thicker coating and are universally considered "deader" than the Nanos.

Archived