Whats a decent inexpensive Bass for home recordings?

SexWithRobots

• Members

I was borrowing one for a while but had to return it and now I am really missing having a bass to just grab and throw down some low end for my demos and stuff. Any recommendations?

Most Ibanez basses are decent to really good for home recording. I got this bad boy for $150 worth of {censored} I was trading on a local CL deal. Ibanez BTB bass. Plays amazingly well and sounds huge.

Bass_Body3.jpg

Bass_1.jpg

Bass_Back.jpg

• Members

I have heard folks get really passable tracks this way. I'm not one of them.

A couple of times I've thought 'I wish I could get a bass to sit like that'.

The guitar has to kick out solid low end and clear top end. Through necks are the best bet. But the gains in performance consistency, the fact that pick attack is very similar, tuning is more stable from the attack to the sustain of the note, the guitars strings carry high end overtones better than bass, the low end of a guitar is generally more even, and the excursion in pitch to sharp at the start of every note will match the guitar lets everything hang together surprisingly well in the mix. You've got to re-think your compression and EQ approaches (different places, cutting more mids than you would on a bass (often boost basses round 1k, generally cut there when using a guitar), and a lot less compression, because the guitar is more consistent), but, like I said, with the right guitar the results can be great, even preferable to an actual bass.

This is of course for just-follows-the-guitar-for-low-end 'bass'. If the bass is being used and played as an actual bass, you need an actual bass, and an actual bassist :lol: But for generic metal, I actually really like it.

• Members

Just grab a cheap Precision Bass. Should be able to snag a Squier for ~$100, or a Mexican Fender for ~$200 if you're judicious. They're simple, tough and always sound like a Precision, i.e., the way a bass ought to sound. They also sound way better than a pitch shifted guitar.

• Members

Used Ibanez or Peavey from craigslist or a pawnshop. My Peavey Axcelerator was $128.00 at a pawn shop and it kicks ass. USA made, active pickups, plays great and has a ton of sounds in it. Don't buy some POS just because it is inexpensive and you only want to throw down a bassline every now and then, get something decent that is inspiring to play, as well as inexpensive.

• Members

I've got an Epiphone Thunderbird I got for under $150 on clearance, and a BTB six string with Bartolini electronics I grabbed for under $300 ($350 with hardcase and goodies) that's a BEAST of a bass. Just hunt used and clearance sales until you find something playable for cheap. I know my two basses were essentially el-cheapos that after a minor fret level turned into serious instruments. My BTB is probably my second favorite instrument of all time. It just plays so damn nice and sounds amazing.

If a bass plays alright and has a good clear tone, you can make it work. It doesn't need to be expensive.

PRO-TIP: Watch guitar center's used site. That's how I snagged my BTB. Not everything they get is worth it, but basses seem to roll through there pretty frequently that are worth more than the price they stick on them.

• Members

Disclaimer: I own 3 basses...But I know nothing about bass.

I have two Ibanez Sound gear basses. A 4 string and a 5 string. They have all lasted forever...No problems. I also have a Cort (something?)...I only paid like $100 used for it...But its a pretty solid bass also.

• Members

Yeah I am looking for a 4 string and around $200. You say you can find a good mexi pbass for 200?

That's what I paid for mine when I had it, and I'd bet you could find one for the same if you keep your eyes open. Just check out craigslist, eBay, GC's used site, and I'm sure you'll find something. Hell, there's one right here for $199: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MIM-FENDER-P-BASS-RED-092912-108297088-i2765018.gc

Also, I'd avoid Ibanez or Peavey basses, but that's just me. They can be good, even great if you know what you're looking for, but they sure can be some ugly stadium rock slap/pop sonsabitches. A Precision will take you miles in style.

Archived