how do you guys deal with your dry spells?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I am having one now... can't come up with any new musical ideas that are worthwhile. I am normally a very prolific writer and come up with great riffs and ideas easily. But for the last month or so, I haven't had any good ideas.

I know the usual remedies... listen to a different style, buy some sheet music for a different instrument and learn it on guitar etc... but I don't feel like doing any of that {censored} right now. Well, a friend of mine let me borrow a huge Ray Charles piano songbook the other day and I have been adapting some of his piano licks for guitar, that's cool.

but still, as far as new ideas for the band, I got nothing. We are recording the 12 songs we have at the moment and talking about working on new material soon, which invariably starts with me writing new riffs and song structures, but I can't come up with anything worth keeping at the moment.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you have a collection of riffs that you can go back and reference? I still have an old cassette recorder that I keep nearby to record riffs, lol. I always have tapes lying around with riffs if I can't think of anything new and/or am searching for a bit to complete a song.

• Members

Do you have a collection of riffs that you can go back and reference? I still have an old cassette recorder that I keep nearby to record riffs, lol. I always have tapes lying around with riffs if I can't think of anything new and/or am searching for a bit to complete a song.

yeah I do have a lot of {censored} recorded. I need to start revisiting my old files, I am sure that are some ideas there.

• Members

You need a little heartache :cry: lol. I'm most creative when I'm hurting inside and everything about my playing becomes lyrical, chord progressions and arrangements start flowing out of me.

Aside from that, if music alone can't inspire more music from you than some type of life experience or new venture should. I find that taking a hike along the coast and cliffs, or some type of living life in the moment helps get my creativity going.

• Members

Ive found that when Im happy, I have a hard time writing music...the last year or so has been rough for my musical creativity lol.

I hear you, I now a lot of guys that are like that, but I'm not of them. And I don't think anything have changed in that regard, I am really happy right now, but that's how I am most of the time, to be honest. Other than major tragedies, I don't let things affect my mood too much, because I do have a lot of blessings to count, just at the most basic level (my son is happy and healthy, my parents are healthy, my home is a month away from being paid off, good job, good relationship, great friends, good health and the list goes on and on), so I don't really have any major changes when it comes to that, yet I am normally able to write {censored} just fine, but right now, I have no good riff ideas.

I think new gear would help though :idea::lol:

• Members

I just take a break and listen to music I haven't been listening to . for example recently I've been listening to 80's stuff I never got into as a kid (duran duran, etc) and it inspires me to write new stuff (even though it sounds nothing like duran duran, lol). It gives me a new approach to song writing.

• Members

Other than major tragedies, I don't let things affect my mood too much, because I do have
a lot
of blessings to count, just at the most basic level (my son is happy and healthy, my parents are healthy, my home is a month away from being paid off, good job, good relationship, great friends, good health and the list goes on and on)

Here here! :thu:

• Members

I hear you, I now a lot of guys that are like that, but I'm not of them. And I don't think anything have changed in that regard, I am really happy right now, but that's how I am most of the time, to be honest. Other than major tragedies, I don't let things affect my mood too much, because I do have
a lot
of blessings to count, just at the most basic level (my son is happy and healthy, my parents are healthy, my home is a month away from being paid off, good job, good relationship, great friends, good health and the list goes on and on), so I don't really have any major changes when it comes to that, yet I am normally able to write {censored} just fine, but right now, I have no good riff ideas.

I think new gear would help though
:idea::lol:

You need some heart ache to stir the creative juices. You know like all the country songs, lose the dog, truck, get forclosed on, have your girlfriend offer only handshakes, that sorta thing. You can only play white lawyer blues now.

(not wishing anything bad on you of course)

• Members

Try taking a break from the guitar.

If you play another instrument, maybe focus on that for a while.

Learn some new cover tunes, especially those in a genre you don't usually play.

All these things will help you approach the instrument with a fresher perspective.

yeah I can play the piano/keyboard, not too good at it but I can do it.. but unfortunately I don't own a keyboard at the moment.

I've been working on a Ray Charles songbook and learning it on guitar, but that's more of an exercise for sight reading and transposing. Some of his licks sound great on guitar though, so I will use that for some solos ideas :) But before I do that, I have to write a freaking song I can solo over :lol:

Archived