What's your all time favorite guitar solo?

Soundstorm

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I might try to learn the solo to this since it's in a tab book I have.
:thu:

it was in a GW issue a couple years ago too.

getting that toni lead guitar tone is kinda difficult. his rhythm guitar sound was always something different and cool, but his lead tone was just about always the same and i think it had a lot to do with his guitar setup and the way his hands work the fretboard.

• Members

it was in a GW issue a couple years ago too.

getting that toni lead guitar tone is kinda difficult. his rhythm guitar sound was always something different and cool, but his lead tone was just about always the same and i think it had a lot to do with his guitar setup and the way his hands work the fretboard.

I'd probably go for a different tone and make it my own if I do end up learning it, but I agree. :thu:

• Members

Boyz Are Gonna Rock - Vinnie Vincent

He played the solo over the song at half speed and then they sped up it to normal to make him sound shreddier.

That is sofa king metal that I don't know how you can say any other guitar solo is even half as awesome as that.

But seriously, my favorite solo of all time? The outro solo on Mr. Crowley.

• Members

idk, i like a lot of trey azagthoth solos. i think they're pretty catchy and can hum a lot of them, like the solo in "dominate" or the solo in "were the slime live", but i don't think that's normal.

I came in here to post this. Trey rocks. Pure chaos and mayhem.

• Members

I never used to like this song much, but once I learned how to play it I found it became really fun to play, especially the solo! Cool to do variations on it while playing along to it.

Yes I agree once you play it your appreciation goes up. The solo seems so natural, and very forgiving if you wander off or lose your place as I'm bound to do. The rest of the song is cool too, like a lesson in how to sound light/heavy/serious/playful.

• Members

Hammett-Fade to Black

Azagthoth-Chambers of Dis, All of Covenant

Iommi-Planet Caravan, Wheels of Confusion

Dime-Floods, Cemetery Gates

Christ (danzig) - Opening solo to Tired of Being Alive (love that tone, too)

Megadeth-Poison was the Cure (all of them)

• Members

Probably Another Brick in the Wall Pt II by Gilmour.

Runner ups would be Sultains of Swing by Mark Knopfler, Satriani's Summer Song, Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, and I have to include John Petrucci's Another Day, which I usually play every time I wanna see how a neck pickup sounds...

GReat choices, I would go with these and Lynch's "In My Dreams". I took a bunch of licks from that solo and tried to incorporate them into my style. I failed miserably.

• Members

Roth's Earthquake always gets me going

wYLe3G2VAJE

Uli really begins air it out at about 6:35

Also Jimi's Machine Gun from BOG; best live solo ever done

And for brevity and phrasing, this live tribute Uli plays to Michael is pretty special too

j2eJo2SUW4g

• Members

Yes I agree once you play it your appreciation goes up. The solo seems so natural, and very forgiving if you wander off or lose your place as I'm bound to do. The rest of the song is cool too, like a lesson in how to sound light/heavy/serious/playful.

Agreed. I think a lot of people tend to overlook Frusciante which is a shame, a lot of his work (solo and chili's) has great ideas and sounds. Klinghoffer has his moments as well, I can see why people don't give him much thought at all, but there is some great textural playing in there. His solo in goodbye hooray is very cool (as is Fea's!).

• Members

Man, that's a really tough one...I guess I'd have to say as cliche as it is, Metallica's Enter Sandman...There are other solos I like a lot better, but that's what started it all for me...it was Kirk's solo that made me pick up guitar and really got me into a lifelong love affair with playing and writing and recording music (the Black Album came out when I was in 5th grade and that's when I first heard it)...

Archived