Amp Preferred for a back line

DBR

• Members

If I can monitor what I play through amp the better for me to be honest. I dislike doing that from the monitors. If there are two guitarists almost always the one is bound to be heard a bit on top of the other I don't mind to compromise if need be. The drummer is the key for a lot of the volume wars, along with a stupid half deaf NMV marshall guitarist lol (rare breed nowadays). Until a peavey comes along or a laney lol!

I don't see a reason why a band can't adjust the volume in a way that everybody can hear through their amps. If one or two members play too loud they can drag the others to a non-dynamic all out loud mess, true.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

not me. Neither do most of the musicians I've worked with over the years. Its
nice to keep the wedges as close to "vocals-only" as possible

:thu:

i have never understood not using your amp as your monitor and instead listening to it coming out of monitors. monitors for vocals only please.

• Members
not me. Neither do most of the musicians I've worked with over the years. Its
nice to keep the wedges as close to "vocals-only" as possible

:thu:

i have never understood not using your amp as your monitor and instead listening to it coming out of monitors. monitors for vocals only please.

• Members

You would be surprised how much difference the guitars in the monitors make in the mix. It really helps let everybody else hear you and you hear can them instead of just yourself. I was blown away the first time I was in front of a monitor mix with all of the instruments blended. Made for a happy bass player and drummer who didn't get lost in the tune or the mix.

I was told by this really loud guitar player once that I was too loud when I couldn't even hear myself he was so {censored}ing loud. I turned my amp all the way down, in spite of it. He noticed that he couldn't hear me after the tune was over. The only thing I could hear was him and the drummer and the keyboardist was left in the dust. That's who I was playing off of besides the drummer. That was the last time I saw the guy. MARSHALLS ARE {censored}ING WEAPONS!!!!!!!!! Are you trying to kill someone? Put it onboard the Sea Shepard for the NORAD's frequencies.

Guitar in the monitors... I don't like it. My amp is my monitor, if the drummer or bass players want the guitar in their monitors that's their call, but I only want vocals in mine. Most guitarists I know are the same way... guitar is not a clean instrument like bass that you can properly monitor with wedges, normally these wedges sound like {censored} and completely kill the tone and it sucks to play a gig without being able to hear your tone properly.

Also, Marshalls are probably the most recorded and gigged amps of all time. It's a classic tone and it does need a certain amount of volume for them to come through. If you are having problems with Marshalls, the issue is either the venue you run sound at is not prepared to host rock shows and insists in doing it anyway or you flat out don't know how to mix rock music. It's either one or the other, because a good rock sound guy in a proper venue will have zero issues mic'ing a loud Marshall and getting a mix that is loud and clear for band and audience.

• Members

Guitar in the monitors... I don't like it. My amp is my monitor, if the drummer or bass players want the guitar in their monitors that's their call, but I only want vocals in mine. Most guitarists I know are the same way... guitar is not a clean instrument like bass that you can properly monitor with wedges, normally these wedges sound like {censored} and completely kill the tone and it sucks to play a gig without being able to hear your tone properly.

Also, Marshalls are probably the most recorded and gigged amps of all time. It's a classic tone and it does need a certain amount of volume for them to come through. If you are having problems with Marshalls, the issue is either the venue you run sound at is not prepared to host rock shows and insists in doing it anyway or you flat out don't know how to mix rock music. It's either one or the other, because a good rock sound guy in a proper venue will have zero issues mic'ing a loud Marshall and getting a mix that is loud and clear for band and audience.

Very well said!!!

• Members

I know the 5150 III is a total favour of the month here but I couldn't think of a worse amp for a back line. It doesn't have the versatility you need for this application.

I'd look at the fender hot rod deluxe or Peavey classic 50/30.

I know you said you don't like Marshall, but I've seen DSL 50/100 heads as the standard back lines for a lot of shows for a reason.

WAT? You've got a nice clean channel, a Marshally channel, and an awesome high gain channel. That should cover most bases.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So you guys recommend a sound company purchase an attenuator so that in case a guitar wants to use their sonic weapon (Marshall), they can be satisfied with their tone. We'll put it on the list amongst 20 or 30 other things. We have good sounding monitors so there wouldn't be a problem with guitar going through them and sounding natural without the volume.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DBR

View Post

So you guys recommend a sound company purchase an attenuator so that in case a guitar wants to use their sonic weapon (Marshall), they can be satisfied with their tone. We'll put it on the list amongst 20 or 30 other things. We have good sounding monitors so there wouldn't be a problem with guitar going through them and sounding natural without the volume.

I didn't see anyone reccommend that. Any modern Marshall is going to have a decent master volume. No attenuater needed.

• Members

Have to agree Peavey amps are always a good choice for the price. Saying that I'm more of a Fender tube amp guy and never owned a Peavey amp, but I like the C 30's. Roland amps are also pretty good for solid state and I use an old 80's Spirit 50 at church, I think sounds better than the HotRod Deluxe or Princeton Chorus we also have.

Archived