UK types: anyone in receipt of benefits?

satannica

• Members

I've been on the dole before Some friends wouldn't go on the dole, but I have no problem with it - I work and pay taxes, so the government can give me some of that back while I'm between jobs. I never just doss around, always looking for work if I don't have any.

But yeah, you're right - you do get a lot more if you've never worked. However, you never really have the chance to get away from it the way you do by working - you're on a pretty base level, for life.

It is a choice you have to make early though cos if you start the working game you're {censored}ed!

There is an issue that maybe that base level is too high, but it's a broad system and quite PC so some folk are able to manipulate it. Think of all the time you spent at uni or at work - if you applied all that to working the system you could be living the dole dream!

As for the Tories/Labour back and forth..... one of the main reasons I'm all for Scottish independence - it's a break from that retarded system. I don't like either of those parties and they probably don't like me!

The SNP have been a pretty good government party though recently I think Salmond is starting to {censored} it up by lying to parliament and things - stupid politicians letting power get to them. He had been good up til then.

On the one hand, if I were Scottish, I'd probably vote SNP too. But on the other side of the coin, seems to me they want to have their cake and eat it to which I say "bite me"! That said, if Blair was in power, the SNP would get everything they ask for and probably more!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It still amazes me how any person who works hard for a living can put his X in the box next to labour's on voting day. It just baffles me.

Blair was out for the so-called middle classes the second he set foot in office. He led us through years of squandering what the tories had built up, demonized anyone who did anything other than suck at life and finished the country off with an illegal war we couldn't afford and left us with an inept fool of an unelected prime minister. Meanwhile, he's off hiring more ex-Barclays head honchos to further his insider trading, dodgy deals, middle eastern exploits all to line his own pockets; all from the generations of tax payers he sold out. How this {censored}er isn't on the news hanging I don't know! How there aren't Panorama investigations into this dodgy creep beggars belief. I'd be very interested to know whose bodies he knows about!

I'm not loving the coalition we've got at the moment; it seems almost every decision Cameron wants to make is diluted before it reaches the gate with the plague of Lib Dem all over it. Vince Cable needs a car-alarm shoved up his arse!
:p

Sadly, though I will always put my X next to Conservative - it's just not in me to go any other way - I rather feel it's Miliband's government in 2015. A prospect I find very very disturbing I may add. It really will plunge the country into the deepest depression it has ever seen. And, he'll even have the audacity to blame it on the coalition! Little {censored}ing turd!

tell us how you really feel :lol:

there's only one thing more funny than a whiny person.

A whiny Tory :lol:

• Members

I've been on the dole before Some friends wouldn't go on the dole, but I have no problem with it - I work and pay taxes, so the government can give me some of that back while I'm between jobs. I never just doss around, always looking for work if I don't have any.

But yeah, you're right - you do get a lot more if you've never worked. However, you never really have the chance to get away from it the way you do by working - you're on a pretty base level, for life.

It is a choice you have to make early though cos if you start the working game you're {censored}ed!

There is an issue that maybe that base level is too high, but it's a broad system and quite PC so some folk are able to manipulate it. Think of all the time you spent at uni or at work - if you applied all that to working the system you could be living the dole dream!

As for the Tories/Labour back and forth..... one of the main reasons I'm all for Scottish independence - it's a break from that retarded system. I don't like either of those parties and they probably don't like me!

The SNP have been a pretty good government party though recently I think Salmond is starting to {censored} it up by lying to parliament and things - stupid politicians letting power get to them. He had been good up til then.

Scottish indipendance is a very bad thing for both our countries and the UK in general. To survive on the global market it will {censored} us all up. Ironically the English want it more than the Scottish, but it's not good mark my words on that.

I am from south east England where to be frank most of the money in the UK is made. And could itself seperate and make more money than the rest of the UK. But it would be a stupid idea.

• Members

I don't think the Scots will end up voting for independence, I'll credit the majority with having enough sense to not let their pride blind them to the reality.

I've read the SNP literature on Scottish Independence -- what a hilarious fantasy that is... I can't wait to see their final "detailed" plan laying out the nitty gritty of how it would go down. :facepalm:

They will immediately be out of NATO, out of the EU, out of the IMF, off the UN security council, have no military or defence capability, etc., etc.

But don't worry, according to the SNP: Scotland will still be using the GBP as currency, have the Queen as head of state, have all the North Sea oil fields, be the 6th richest country in the world, each person will be

• Members
Ironically the English want it more than the Scottish, but it's not good mark my words on that.

Ha, yeah, the last polls I saw had 30-40% of Scots wanting independence and 60-70% of English wanting it. :lol:

I don't see why the rest of the UK doesn't also get to vote on whether Scotland should be allowed to leave the union, after all, we are supposed to be part of the same country. Oh, wait a minute, maybe I do see why... :)

• Members
I don't vote on political ideology, I vote for the candidate that I think is most capable. There isn't anyone in the Shadow Cabinet that I see as being competent enough to be involved in running the country.

To my mind, the only real thing of value that I recall Labour doing was introducing the minimum wage. The rest of their reign was just a demonstration of how inept and unfit they were to govern.

I know,

You have no choice, there is little difference between conservative or labour and there will be little difference moving forward.

The term "New Labour" is pretty much a dead giveaway.

The minimum wage !!! with a socio economic climate that dares to tolerates unemployment it did very little. Yes unemployment is caused by policy, and not any crackpot ideas about computers & machinery taking over the world ! It is simply manageable just like immigration ;) but there IS a reason for unemployment which brings us neatly back to WAGES!

• Members

Whatever. I'd rather be a whiny tory than a self-hating, loathsome Marxist!

Marx probably fell in love with himself in latter life, let go of the hate, and understood the human condition better than most. He basically said we are not capable of thinking up anything better than capatalism in our present form and like Nietzche in Zuth Spoke Zarathustra we will evolve as a species before we can (the Ubermensch/Superman). He basically said we are (collectively) stupid and he is right. (derp I think)

• Members

I've been on the dole before, and I never understood how anyone could do too well from it, I guess I was living with my folks at the time, paying no rent and I was honest with them about it. So I was only getting the small two week payment - 60 or 70 quid or whatever it is.

More recently my girlfriend lost her job of 6 months and had to try and get jobseekers and housing benefit. Luckily she got almost two months wages which were owed to her because without that, we'd of lost our flat and she would of had to have moved all the way back home. In a nutshell the services that are meant to be there to protect her/us/you, were completely useless.

Effectively, Jobcentre+ told her that in the tax years beginning 2009-10 and 2010-2011 she hadn't paid enough contributions. The ridiculous thing is that she was still a student until 2010, but that didnt matter. Apparently "that's when we calculate it from". So the fact that she's been in work pretty much the whole time since she left Uni didnt matter.

Worse still the council/housing benefit, apparently I earn just inside the threshold that deems that she wasn't entitled to anything. Apparently I could of claimed some meagre amount but it wouldnt of been worth it. If I'd had to of been responsible for one months rent myself, we'd never of survived the month. Fortunately two weeks ago she's found work again and we're okay, but it was a needlessly stressful couple of months because 'the systems' in place either don't work or are so overburdened as to be on the point of colllapse. I'm not against social welfare, in fact I consider myself to be pretty liberal and I don't believe anyone should have the rug ripped out from under them.

I also can't imagine what a {censored}ing horrible job people who work in the JobCentres have. They basically spend their whole day being lied to time and again, and they know it, but can't do anything about it. When I used to have to go there more often than not you'd arrive to see the police or security guards having to calm someone down, ask people to leave or restraining people. So really it's no surprise they usually prove to be completely uncaring and unhelpful. They've had enough and every day the lines get longer and longer.

Roll on New Labour in 2015(?). I think another 4 years of a tory government with a strong mandate would be a disaster for the most vulnerable people across the country, as well as anyone else who has the misfortune to get taken out with the tide.

• Members

I don't mean to derail the thread but would someone be eligible for council housing while going to university? I could see that as being a huge benefit to a student.

FWIW, our version of council housing (housing projects) can be pretty scary. I'd almost rather be homeless than live in some of the ones around here but I've read that some people get over $2,000 a month as a housing voucher which means the government is paying a fortune for slum housing.

Someone's getting rich and it isn't the tenants.

• Members

I also can't imagine what a {censored}ing horrible job people who work in the JobCentres have. They basically spend their whole day being lied to time and again, and they know it, but can't do anything about it. When I used to have to go there more often than not you'd arrive to see the police or security guards having to calm someone down, ask people to leave or restraining people. So really it's no surprise they usually prove to be completely uncaring and unhelpful. They've had enough and every day the lines get longer and longer.

Roll on New Labour in 2015(?). I think another 4 years of a tory government with a strong mandate would be a disaster for the most vulnerable people across the country, as well as anyone else who has the misfortune to get taken out with the tide.

I've worked for the Job Center in my youth. At that time, benefits were only just getting into the Direct Debit thing, most were still either paid as cash for people who didn't have a bank account or by cheque. I worked on the cash counter for the summer and saw a fair cross-section of people.

The guys in the morning would show up before the place opened, literally running for the job boards to see the new cards. I'd have it pretty easy in the morning as the last place they came to was the cash counter. They were genuinely embaressed to take the money most of the time, little realising that if they'd let it go a week, they'd have to restart their entire assessment. And these guys rarely turned up in cars, mostly turned up in suits and were the sort of people who were genuinely out of work - as in company folded, got made redundant, etc.

The guys who showed up at 1pm onwards are the guys I'm on about! My counter had lines out the door some days and all of them had major attitude problems. They couldn't follow basic instruction, as in "If you want your money, you have to go see an Advisor first!". They weren't there for the jobs, they were there for the money. The double-glass barrier between them and my counter sure was useful! And damn near every one of them wore designer clothes (Reebok, GAP, etc) and every one of them seemed to drive fancy cars usually doled out from the disability mobility schemes and all were so easy to spark into a rage.

TBH, labour enabled these shirkers. Personally, I'm glad the tories are targetting these types; it's needed doing for a long time! I would agree that it's just a shame that a stats-led initiative of using private companies mean that the genuine applicants who, incidentally seem to be the easiest to push around, get the brunt. It seems to me that the career-benefit scrounger is all too savvy and full of attitude; the people tasked with kicking the arse of these scroungers just don't want to deal with them. Kinda typical English present-day attitude "If someone's shouting, walk away like a {censored}. Go after the quiet bloke who you can walk over nice and easy!"

In your situation, you wouldn't have gotten any better with a Labour Govt. in power. And I dare say, as you work, you can expect your cost of living to rise with a Labour administration. Blair constructed an England where the better you do, the more you're penalized; the less you do, the more you have done for you; the smarter you are, the less useful you are. He squandered Britain's economy and Britain's talent. Nuff said.

• Members

I don't mean to derail the thread but would someone be eligible for council housing while going to university? I could see that as being a huge benefit to a student.

FWIW, our version of council housing (housing projects) can be pretty scary. I'd almost rather be homeless than live in some of the ones around here but I've read that some people get over $2,000 a month as a housing voucher which means the government is paying a fortune for slum housing.

Someone's getting rich and it isn't the tenants.

Unless you are attending University part-time, you won't be entitled to housing benefit. Council housing just means that your landlord is the Council rather than a private landlord. There is still rent to be paid, it just so happens that it's not visible to the tenant if the housing benefit is paid to the local authority.

I personally feel very strongly about University education, which is one reason I dislike both Labour and Tories in this instance. I personally believe that education should be free to anyone who wants it. University students used to be grant maintained, a system which worked well for decades. Tony Blair decided, after he and his family got a free University education, to pull the ladder up and effectly discourage UK kids from attending university, including a rather prolific smear campaign depicting 19 year old layabouts drinking beer studying useless courses. I've been to university, I didn't see many layabouts (who lasted past year 1) and I certainly don't know of any "useless" courses. It was all to support the Labour policy of exporting skilled work overseas - which Tony Blair has personally profited from emmensely!

After the labour rape of the UK, the Tories have had to remove Government funding to UK institutions. This now means that the average UK student will now amass debt of near

• Members

Kinda typical English present-day attitude "If someone's shouting, walk away like a {censored}. Go after the quiet bloke who you can walk over nice and easy!" Nuff said.

Totally this.

To be honest I didnt want to get too political, I dont think it makes much of a difference whos in power or when or why, and this really isnt the place but I don't think there is a catch all measure here. It should of been addressed before the bottom fell out, but everyone, every party, is guilty of ignoring what has been a major grievance of every hard working sod and now they are trying to "nip it in the bud" and it will cause many more problems.

• Members

Unless you are attending University part-time, you won't be entitled to housing benefit. Council housing just means that your landlord is the Council rather than a private landlord. There is still rent to be paid, it just so happens that it's not visible to the tenant if the housing benefit is paid to the local authority.

I personally feel very strongly about University education, which is one reason I dislike both Labour and Tories in this instance. I personally believe that education should be free to anyone who wants it. University students used to be grant maintained, a system which worked well for decades. Tony Blair decided, after he and his family got a free University education, to pull the ladder up and effectly discourage UK kids from attending university, including a rather prolific smear campaign depicting 19 year old layabouts drinking beer studying useless courses. I've been to university, I didn't see many layabouts (who lasted past year 1) and I certainly don't know of any "useless" courses. It was all to support the Labour policy of exporting skilled work overseas - which Tony Blair has personally profited from emmensely!

After the labour rape of the UK, the Tories have had to remove Government funding to UK institutions. This now means that the average UK student will now amass debt of near

• Members

Don't believe everything you read in the press you are very wrong on some of these issues

Very wrong.

For the record I like Cameron.

My current role means I work with a lot of higher education establishments, both in the UK and overseas. The fact is, less UK kids are headed to university now than ever before. All thanks to what Labour started and left the tories no choice but to continue doing. I know of one particular university in the south east whose expected input of UK students for 2013 is less than 8%.

• Members

My current role means I work with a lot of higher education establishments, both in the UK and overseas. The fact is, less UK kids are headed to university now than ever before. All thanks to what Labour started and left the tories no choice but to continue doing. I know of one particular university in the south east whose expected input of UK students for 2013 is less than 8%.

Bollocks, you just spouting 2nd hand politics.

There is more people going to university now than there was in the early 90's, it's only dropped recently because people are worried about tuition fee's.

Something I have noticed about the UK since I left, people moan and moan and moan about the government this and the government that. But do {censored} all about it.

If you don't like it do something about it.

And Satanica, it has been noted you seem to have worked for every government agency or job that is being discussed. :cop:

Archived