Amp-like OD pedals

guitarbilly74

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel

View Post

For me, the best pedal in front of a clean amp is the Metal Muff. YMMV but in front of my plexi it sounds killer. It's not pricey or boooootique but, when you set it right, it kills. Just keep off the "treble boost" side, and keep the gain under 2 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I will check it out. Not pricey or boutique-y is cool with me smile.gif

Do it billy, DO EET! You can pick them up for next to nothing to try one out. I didn't like mine until DB showed me the path. It's a pretty killer sounding pedal into a clean amp. Totally_jammin_out.gif

The Barber stuff is also great, I really like the Dirty Bomb I have.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, hello there... it's been a long time since the last time I posted, let's try to get back...

The most amp like pedal I've tried is the Blackstar HT DRIVE (not the DUAL). It doesn't have the ISF thing, which makes it more transparent sounding (for me) and natural in front of a clean amp... and it loves SS amps too...

Even though it's labeled as a drive, it's got as much gain as a dual rec (less than a 5150, more than a JCM 800 2203)... and goes pretty well with a TS pushing it...

It's much more "tubey" than any SS device I've tried... keep in mind I'm considering preamp tone.

Others I'd like to try:
- bogner red
- barber dirty bomb

Akio

• Members

i dunno that i'd consider a RAT an amp-like anything.. it's an okay pedal if you like it.. but it's kinda amplike in that a jackhammer is motorcycle like by having moving parts.
:D
i dunno- i guess you can make it react kinda like an amp.. but it's pretty solid statey.

Lots of people say "amp like" when all they really mean is "good sounding".

• Members

$600 doesn't sound too bad for an all tube preamp. The Engl E530 is the same price.

It's not a distortion pedal, but the full preamp of the Meatsmoke or Skyhammer amps.

Oh, I know. If it were rackmounted, people would happily pay 600 dollars for it. It's the fact that it's a pedal that make people go 'wtf why is this so much'.

Same sort of thing with the Mesa V-Twin.

• Members

Seriously, try a Tonebone Hot British. Pure hot-rodded Marshall tone from a totally clean amp. You can get a scooped or mid boosted sound and it has plenty of gain.

Agreed - the Hot British and a Tech21 Liverpool cover a lot of tone territory except for very heavy stuff. I'd probably swap a DirtyBomb for the Liverpool if I was more of a modern metal guy. That Suhr Riot sounds amazing, though. I may have to get one of those.

• Members

You get get EHX English Muff'n for around $100-130 used, $200 new. Take the stock 12ay7s out and put good 12ax7s in and you have a high gain Marshall preamp. You can also get the Hot Tubes if you can find one, and they both work great on a drive channel too. I've had both and love them. They can turn a two channel amp into a three channel amp.

• Members

I checked out all the clips. My favorite was the $600 Verellen, it {censored}ing figures
:mad::lol:

But the Barber Dirty Bomb sounds kick ass too, it actually reminds me of the GH100L own overdrive. I think I will get that one, the price is not bad either.

There's one for $80 buy it now on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Barber+dirty+bomb&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Archived