the world didnt end so here is an ebay question

sleewell

• Members

say you bought a guitar on ebay and did not realize until after you had paid that the seller was in the same town as you. if the buyer sent you a message kindly asking to either come pick it up or meet up somewhere would you refund the shipping money or part of the shipping money?

i have sold on ebay before and feel like if i didnt have to ship it and did not have to drive that far i would refund the money minus the fees paid to ebay and paypal but its hard to say what people will do these days. i just called ebay while waiting for a response from the seller. like normal they were no help; basically said i was SOL and it was totally up to the seller. she even said she thought it didnt make sense but the policy would be for the seller to still ship it, even in the same town.

whadya say den of scum?

• Members

if it was local and it was picked up , yes as there were no shipping costs to the seller and I would expect a refund, but if say it was already boxed up and monies spent on shipping stuff , yeah a partial then . Though even if somewhat local it can still be more convenient to just ship it for wither party and I don't care either way , to save a few bucks no biggie .

• Members

if it was local and it was picked up , yes as there were no shipping costs to the seller and I would expect a refund, but if say it was already boxed up and monies spent on shipping stuff , yeah a partial then . Though even if somewhat local it can still be more convenient to just ship it for either party and I don't care either way , to save a few bucks no biggie .

• Members

if it was local and it was picked up , yes as there were no shipping costs to the seller and I would expect a refund, but if say it was already boxed up and monies spent on shipping stuff , yeah a partial then . Though even if somewhat local it can still be more convenient to just ship it for either party and I don't care either way , to save a few bucks no biggie .

yeah i understand. i bought it yesterday late afternoon and sent the email after work around 7, so hopefully he didnt go out and spend money. but i was very nice in my email, explained my situation and that i understand all the fees and i wasnt demanding anything and only mentioned a partial refund if he wanted to do that. i said it was his call but i would gladly drive wherever to come pick it up around his time schedule so i wasnt requesting him to drive or inconvienence him at all.

i dunno, i hate shipping guitars so if this happened to me in reverse i would try to be a nice guy about it but i know everyone isnt like that.

we will see what happens, i dont really care too much either way. really i just would like to avoid shipping and possible damages.

• Members

Yeah, if some one wanted to meet up, Id be fine with refunding shipping. Id refund all of shipping....just do the refund through paypal and the PP fees are refunded for that amount as well. Ebay and PP fees are part of doing business with those 2 sites, so I wouldnt feel right about making the buyer cover those fees out of the shipping cost. Id have the buyer come to me, or meet me close to my house. If he wants that arrangement, he can come to me. Im not driving any extra lol. And yeah...shipping guitars is a crap shoot. Never know what kinda shape itll be in when it gets to where its going.

• Members

I'd push for it if it was say a les Paul or Hollow body , something that will break if you drop it , but otherwise no worries .

its a gretsch hollow body

yeah phrophus, i know and fully admit that i missed a key detail and am to blame here. which is why i am leaving it up to him and wont be mad either way. really at this point i would rather just avoid shipping for the sake of the guitar and the money is secondary.

• Members

its a gretsch hollow body

yeah phrophus, i know and fully admit that i missed a key detail and am to blame here. which is why i am leaving it up to him and wont be mad either way. really at this point i would rather just avoid shipping for the sake of the guitar and the money is secondary.

If I was the shipper I'd go for it no question , UPS & Hollowbody guitar , yeah right but then again Sandy may handle your package ?

ups_girl_007.jpg

• Members

I dont sell a guitar on ebay until it is boxed up and packed tight. Which usually runs $20 itself.

I prefer shipping just because I can have tangible evidence that I did in fact hold up my side of the deal. I take pictures of all packaging and everything so there is virtually no way that piece of {censored} buyer will ever get their money back (from me). Oh your item came damaged? Here is a portfolio of my packaging, enjoy your 200mb download and have fun trying to get Fedex to pay you. This has been forwarded to Ebays customer service, don't bother opening a dispute. Have a wonderful evening.

• Members

If he wants to keep the shipping money make him ship it. Be a total dick about scrutinizing for ANY minor damage from shipping.

First minute scratch you find? Deman refund and ship it back to him on his dime. Start PayPal dispute. Then buy it from somewhere else since they're not rare.

• Members

say you bought a guitar on ebay and did not realize until after you had paid that the seller was in the same town as you. if the buyer sent you a message kindly asking to either come pick it up or meet up somewhere would you refund the shipping money or part of the shipping money?

i have sold on ebay before and feel like if i didnt have to ship it and did not have to drive that far i would refund the money minus the fees paid to ebay and paypal but its hard to say what people will do these days. i just called ebay while waiting for a response from the seller. like normal they were no help; basically said i was SOL and it was totally up to the seller.
she even said she thought it didnt make sense but the policy would be for the seller to still ship it, even in the same town.

whadya say den of scum?

She's right. If the buyer wants to pick it up locally he will have to pay me in cash, because if he pays me with paypal and picks it up locally I have NO proof of delivery and I can get royally screwed. If he paid me via paypal, I'm shipping it with delivery confirmation/signature required, I don't care if he's 2 blocks down.

• Members

what if he sees me giving him positive feedback on my phone during the pickup? you cant take back feedback or open a dispute when you have given positive feedback can you?

yeah you can still open a dispute. If there is proof of payment but no proof of delivery, the feedback doesn't mean much. Local pickup to me is cash upon pickup only, no paypal.

• Members

what if he sees me giving him positive feedback on my phone during the pickup? you cant take back feedback or open a dispute when you have given positive feedback can you?

I had some one file a dispute on me for an mp3 player after theyd already left positive feedback. They had the {censored}ing thing for a month already and had used it a bunch of times. Then it broke. Guy claimed it was a timebomb. Asked me for a refund. I refused. He filed a dispute. Ebay ruled in his favor. I got the broken mp3 player back. Refunded the money (or reimbursed ebay, actually). Sold it as broken stating that Id sold it and the guy sent it back to me broken so it is what it is. {censored}ing bull{censored} ass case that was.

• Members

I thought you had already paid?

You are running the risk of turning this into a total {censored}fest.

uh hello, everything i do is a total {censored}fest, lol. i would wait for the refund of my initial paypal funds before meeting and giving cash.

Archived