what are the least "picky" amps?

guitarbilly74

• Members

When I had the DSL I could plug that amp into just about anything and it would sound fine. My GH100L, on the other hand, sounds absolutely glorious with the right set up but can sound like total crap with the wrong speaker or pickups...

The Mesa Mark III was the same way.. great amp but extremely picky with speakers.. not so much with pickups.

So what are the least picky amps? Marshalls in general tend to be that way... what else?

• Members

All of my amps have been picky frown.gif

My Line 6 Flextone II was the most consistently bland amp I've ever played. It wasn't picky at all. No matter what you put in front, or put it through, it always sounded equally generic icon_lol.gif I'll say that for low volume recording it was actually a very useful amp with lots of usable sounds for that one very specific application.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

When I had the DSL I could plug that amp into just about anything and it would sound fine. My GH100L, on the other hand, sounds absolutely glorious with the right set up but can sound like total crap with the wrong speaker or pickups...

The Mesa Mark III was the same way.. great amp but extremely picky with speakers.. not so much with pickups.

So what are the least picky amps? Marshalls in general tend to be that way... what else?

Didn't you have a PV Classic 50 for awhile? It always seemed pretty easy

to find the sweet spot on that amp, as well as the DSL's, regardless of speaks.

• Members

50s/60s fender amps. never plugged a guitar into an original or reissue champ/tweed deluxe/bassman/deluxe,super,twin reverb that didn't sound like the guitar nor sounded like junk, cranked or clean. i think simpler circuits are less picky and let your guitar come through the amp more. need more? grab an OD/fuzz/dist pedal, which these amps take very, very well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

My Deliverance doesn't seem to be very picky....bish sounds awesome no matter what cool.gif

I can attest to that. I ran my D60 through 3 different cabs all with different speakers and about 7 different guitars. Sounded fantastic no matter what.

• Members

X100B! Would take a pedal board, Xt Live, Intellifex, gainiac, etc. I threw a ton of things on that amp and it just worked. My Marshall is a lot more selective. That's why I bought the Switchblade. Kind of an all in one solution to the above. It just is more of a compromise in the amp dept somewhat. Still good enough I use it.

Archived