Les Paul pickguard on or off?

Mr R Gecko

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the looks of them off, but it affects my playing. My pinky is usually planted. Removing the pickguard effectively raises the strings by about 1/8" as far as my picking hand is concerned. I could probably get used to it if I forced myself.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

Scratching up a guitar from playing the {censored} out of it is part of the charm.

I say {censored}a pickguard thumb.gif

That's what I'm talking about... hell how bout a forearm protector so you don't wear off the finish, a plastic plate to stop buckle rash...

• Members

naw, you boys have to embrace the tuxedo-esque awesome of a les paul. i know having a toughguy badass guitar is cool.. but it's also cool to rock the {censored} on a way snazz guit. all in how y' own it-- taking the guard off is sometimes just 'dude trying too hard', where if you just use it like it was is 'mother{censored}er could rock it on a danelectro if necessary and still kill it'. biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker

View Post

What the {censored} do you need a pickguard for? Do people really scratch their LPs with their poor picking technique?

Yes. When you play upbeat rock, and gig actively, you are bound to get some pick scratching.

It's not like they just put it there for looks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her

View Post

definitely off. that thing is gorgeous

this. With a top that pretty I'm a little torn, part of me would want to show it all off, the other part wouldn't want to ruin it with pick scratches. Ultimately, the pick scratches add character...and tone, lots of tone.

Archived