Installed the EMG Het Set into one of my Les Pauls yesterday......

Norton666

• Members

I really like the Het Set. They are probably my favorite of all the EMG's now. I put them in my ESP Eclipse and they made a big difference. IMO they really are a good combination of passive and active tone combined. I bet they do sound great in your Les Paul.

001.jpg

• Members

I really like the Het Set. They are probably my favorite of all the EMG's now. I put them in my ESP Eclipse and they made a big difference. IMO they really are a good combination of passive and active tone combined. I bet they do sound great in your Les Paul.

001.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post

001.jpg
That is a great looking ESP! I would love to get a pre-lawsuit Eclipse one of these days.

Does anyone have any clips/videos of the Het set? I would love to hear them in a Les Paul(ish) guitar!

Cole

• Members

001.jpg
That is a great looking ESP! I would love to get a pre-lawsuit Eclipse one of these days.

Does anyone have any clips/videos of the Het set? I would love to hear them in a Les Paul(ish) guitar!

Cole

• Members

001.jpg
That is one sharp looking guitar!

• Members

001.jpg
That is one sharp looking guitar!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
I've been tempted to go with EMGs in all my guitars again, except maybe the strat. I've been struggling to find passive pickups I like as much.
Just the other day I tried all the pickups I had laying around in my Mahogany flying V I built.. I've gone thru dozens of pickups in that guitar, not because I was never happy, but because I just needed to try all of them, just so I knew what was really the best..

So I sat down and over the course of 5 hours I installed and played on 13 pickups..

A list of them were

Duncan blackouts
Duncan Mick Thomson Blackout
Emg81
Duncan Custom
Duncan custom custom
Duncan custom 5
Evh Frankenstein
Evh wolfgang
Gibson Burstbucker Pro
Gibson 500t
Dimarzio half air zone
Dimarzio Paf
Dimarzio Super 2

This all started because I bought a bare knuckle vhii. And the clarity and openness of the high end really is sumthin that is beyond most mass produced pickup.. In that V, I had the half Aired Air Zone which sounded great. The low end had this great bite to it, but by comparison to the Bare knuckle the high end sounded muffled.. And this bothered me. And in the past I was underwhelmed with Bareknuckles, but you can't deny that scatterwound seems to open up the high end..

Anyway, I needed to find that pickup that gave me the balance and feel I need, but have a clear high end..

The Mick Thomson blackouts sound so good when you just factor in the tone, but damn those blackouts are so powerful..
The emg has way less power than the blackouts, has a more open sound but it just doesn't have the balls of a BO

The evh pickups sounds great, but not what I want in this guitar..

On and on I went..

You know what won out?

Custom 5.. It really has it all. Great mid gain times and maybe the best cleans of a medium-high power bridge pickup.. And the high gain tone, is the right blend of everything.. Its got feel, so I can make it sounds tight with the way I pick, I can get a big Doomy type of chord by softer playing and the way I attack the strings. The lead sounds sustain beautifully..

I know you wanted that Pickup from me, but the sizing wasn't right, but if suggest you find one again and give it a shot.. I swear most people look at the eq chart and make an assumption about the pickup because Duncan says its got less mids.. And first off whenever I hear someone say this pickup sucks "its too scooped" I know they haven't played it, cause no pickup will sound like an amp that has scooped setting.. And 2, I totally disagree with that chart anyway, cause it has great cut and is the perfect blend of aggression and smoothness..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post

Custom 5.. It really has it all. Great mid gain times and maybe the best cleans of a medium-high power bridge pickup.. And the high gain tone, is the right blend of everything.. Its got feel, so I can make it sounds tight with the way I pick, I can get a big Doomy type of chord by softer playing and the way I attack the strings. The lead sounds sustain beautifully..
I know. That's the pickup I had in my Hamer before I put EMGs in it and to this day it's my favorite passive bridge pickup. I just need to stop fucking around, get a couple of them and call it a day.

• Members

001.jpg
That looks like one bad-ass guitar. thumb.gif

Archived