Who's boosting a really nice amp with an el-cheapo pedal?

draelyc

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by draelyc

View Post

Dig. Seems very similar to the way my Pale Horse behaves ... is the OCD a mosfet circuit?

Otoh, I can dial the Pale Horse to be much more transparent than the TS style od's. Doesn't really work for the traditional gain down / volume up boost approach, but it makes for a warmer sound when it adds a bit of volume & gain that makes it seem more like just turning the amp up. Sounds good on its own ... dunno how well it would cut through live w/o the mid bump, though. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

View Post

Dig. Seems very similar to the way my Pale Horse behaves ... is the OCD a mosfet circuit?

Otoh, I can dial the Pale Horse to be much more transparent than the TS style od's. Doesn't really work for the traditional gain down / volume up boost approach, but it makes for a warmer sound when it adds a bit of volume & gain that makes it seem more like just turning the amp up. Sounds good on its own ... dunno how well it would cut through live w/o the mid bump, though. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Bad Monkey. It's a great boost pedal for a dirty amp though, really tightens things up. The bypassed tone really sucks though so I us it in a true bypass loop. It's good enough that it keeps a permanent place on my board though..

• Members

Bad Monkey. It's a great boost pedal for a dirty amp though, really tightens things up. The bypassed tone really sucks though so I us it in a true bypass loop. It's good enough that it keeps a permanent place on my board though..

• Members

The danelectro coolcat drive V1 into my brunetti mc-2 crunch channel at the moment but this super cheap pedal sounds good boosting anything. And I mean anything from almost every amp (except my XXX) to even boosting virtual amps on modellers to boosting virtual sims on the pc line in through a DI. Sounds better than any digital sim in that instance.

It is supposed to be based on a OCD and it does sound good as a dirt box but it boosts incredibly. If you find the V1 just buy it. It costs next to nothing used and can be resold easily but I don't think I ever will, I may be one or two if I find them!

• Members

The danelectro coolcat drive V1 into my brunetti mc-2 crunch channel at the moment but this super cheap pedal sounds good boosting anything. And I mean anything from almost every amp (except my XXX) to even boosting virtual amps on modellers to boosting virtual sims on the pc line in through a DI. Sounds better than any digital sim in that instance.

It is supposed to be based on a OCD and it does sound good as a dirt box but it boosts incredibly. If you find the V1 just buy it. It costs next to nothing used and can be resold easily but I don't think I ever will, I may be one or two if I find them!

• Members

View Post

I'd be curious how the Monkey sounds into your Plexi module, for obvious reasons. smile.gif

So here's another thing I'm running into as I compare my different dirt pedals ... the ones that make the best boosts when I've got the amp's natural overdrive cranked up also seem to sound the worst as drive boxes when I dial the amp clean, and vicey versy. My Pale Horse od, fer instance, sounds great for basic crunch tones on its own, but as a boost, it's missing that mid hump that I seem to like into the dirty amp. Do y'all notice the same sort of thing? Seems like a real trick to find one circuit that's great for both setups ... though I've read that the OCD can do it. idn_smilie.gif

I like the bad monkey into all of my modules. I can't say for certain on the plexi module anymore because the plexi has found new life as a modded module. It's now a splawn quickrod module. I use the bad monkey mainly to tighten things up and add a little high end sparkle to things from time to time. It plays nicely with all of my modules but really gets along well with the splawn module. As for a cheap alternative to an OCD pedal, this little guy works really well too: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...STLEDRIVE-LIST. Been thinking of piking one up to play around with.

• Members

View Post

I'd be curious how the Monkey sounds into your Plexi module, for obvious reasons. smile.gif

So here's another thing I'm running into as I compare my different dirt pedals ... the ones that make the best boosts when I've got the amp's natural overdrive cranked up also seem to sound the worst as drive boxes when I dial the amp clean, and vicey versy. My Pale Horse od, fer instance, sounds great for basic crunch tones on its own, but as a boost, it's missing that mid hump that I seem to like into the dirty amp. Do y'all notice the same sort of thing? Seems like a real trick to find one circuit that's great for both setups ... though I've read that the OCD can do it. idn_smilie.gif

I like the bad monkey into all of my modules. I can't say for certain on the plexi module anymore because the plexi has found new life as a modded module. It's now a splawn quickrod module. I use the bad monkey mainly to tighten things up and add a little high end sparkle to things from time to time. It plays nicely with all of my modules but really gets along well with the splawn module. As for a cheap alternative to an OCD pedal, this little guy works really well too: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...STLEDRIVE-LIST. Been thinking of piking one up to play around with.

• Members

I just got a Visual sound Route 808, and have so far tried it with my Laney LH50 (mos def not a VERY expensive amp biggrin.gif)

The Laney really doesn't have a lot of usable gain on tap. It gets muddy when you turn it up above 6-7, would probably be nice for doom, stoner rock etc.

I set it to an AC/DC type crunch, and used the pedal to goose it into something I easily could use in a Whitesnake tribute band smile.gif Not very noisy either.

I'll give it a whirl with my Mesa Cal.50+ as well. The Mesa is a lot more "metal" than the Laney to begin with, so I can imagine there will be rawk!

• Members

I just got a Visual sound Route 808, and have so far tried it with my Laney LH50 (mos def not a VERY expensive amp biggrin.gif)

The Laney really doesn't have a lot of usable gain on tap. It gets muddy when you turn it up above 6-7, would probably be nice for doom, stoner rock etc.

I set it to an AC/DC type crunch, and used the pedal to goose it into something I easily could use in a Whitesnake tribute band smile.gif Not very noisy either.

I'll give it a whirl with my Mesa Cal.50+ as well. The Mesa is a lot more "metal" than the Laney to begin with, so I can imagine there will be rawk!

• Members

View Post

Yes, exactly this.

My first distortion of any kind was a Boss OD-2 running into something clean. It's possibly the worst sounding piece of {censored} ever made on its own into a clean amp. However, up front of a good amp, with the drive cranked back, the level pushed a bit, it sounds incredible. It has a horrible cut off the bottom that makes it sound crappy alone, but a rig that's a little too bassy gets exactly the right push from it, with the right amount of cut on the low end to really sound thick without losing clarity. I sold my original OD-2 when I got my first "real" amp, and bought another a few years later due to nostalgia. It's my second favorite boost behind the Bad Monkey. Both of them have been used to boost everything from my old Ampeg VL-1002 to the 8100 to solid-state Peaveys and Randalls over the years. They sound different, but both do a good job adding high end and mids and rolling off the bass so long as you don't add too much grit from the pedal itself.

• Members

View Post

Yes, exactly this.

My first distortion of any kind was a Boss OD-2 running into something clean. It's possibly the worst sounding piece of {censored} ever made on its own into a clean amp. However, up front of a good amp, with the drive cranked back, the level pushed a bit, it sounds incredible. It has a horrible cut off the bottom that makes it sound crappy alone, but a rig that's a little too bassy gets exactly the right push from it, with the right amount of cut on the low end to really sound thick without losing clarity. I sold my original OD-2 when I got my first "real" amp, and bought another a few years later due to nostalgia. It's my second favorite boost behind the Bad Monkey. Both of them have been used to boost everything from my old Ampeg VL-1002 to the 8100 to solid-state Peaveys and Randalls over the years. They sound different, but both do a good job adding high end and mids and rolling off the bass so long as you don't add too much grit from the pedal itself.

• Members

View Post

I've used my Keeley SD-1 in front of a clean amp and as a boost in front of an overdriven amp. But, I was actually boosting my Keeley with my class A boost when it was in front of a clean amp.

• Members

View Post

I've used my Keeley SD-1 in front of a clean amp and as a boost in front of an overdriven amp. But, I was actually boosting my Keeley with my class A boost when it was in front of a clean amp.

• Members

Dig. Lots of cool replies here -- thanks, y'all.

So the three od pedals I'm messing with here that prompted this thread are the Bad Monkey, a VFE Pale Horse, and a Banzai Fireball 2. I've also got a Suhr Riot on my board, which sucks as a boost but is great for either hard rock tones to a clean amp or adding hard edged gain to a crunchy/dirty amp. The Pale Horse is very dynamic and pretty transparent, but it can sound scooped when adding extra gain to a dirty amp, especially compared to the other TS style od's.

The Banzai is too low gain & smooth for rock crunch into a clean amp, but it's an awesome boost in front of an overdriven amp. But it's twich the size of the other pedals & wouldn't leave room on the board for the Riot, if I needed full on metal levels of gain.

The Monkey is small enough to fit where the Pale Horse is now, next to the Riot, and it's a great boost, but it wouldn't be much good, I don't think, if I wanted to run my amp clean sometimes & use the pedals for dirt.

So I guess what I really need is a bigger board that can hold 'em all, huh?

• Members

Dig. Lots of cool replies here -- thanks, y'all.

So the three od pedals I'm messing with here that prompted this thread are the Bad Monkey, a VFE Pale Horse, and a Banzai Fireball 2. I've also got a Suhr Riot on my board, which sucks as a boost but is great for either hard rock tones to a clean amp or adding hard edged gain to a crunchy/dirty amp. The Pale Horse is very dynamic and pretty transparent, but it can sound scooped when adding extra gain to a dirty amp, especially compared to the other TS style od's.

The Banzai is too low gain & smooth for rock crunch into a clean amp, but it's an awesome boost in front of an overdriven amp. But it's twich the size of the other pedals & wouldn't leave room on the board for the Riot, if I needed full on metal levels of gain.

The Monkey is small enough to fit where the Pale Horse is now, next to the Riot, and it's a great boost, but it wouldn't be much good, I don't think, if I wanted to run my amp clean sometimes & use the pedals for dirt.

So I guess what I really need is a bigger board that can hold 'em all, huh?

Archived