new emg solderless....damn you damn you to h3LL

magh8

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by linthat22

View Post

Jesus, Where does the battery go?

I just cram it in there. It DOES fit, but it's an untidy {censored}er. The electronics cavity doesn't bulge out or anything, thankfully, but I think this solderless thing needs a rethink!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by linthat22

View Post

Jesus, Where does the battery go?

I just cram it in there. It DOES fit, but it's an untidy {censored}er. The electronics cavity doesn't bulge out or anything, thankfully, but I think this solderless thing needs a rethink!

• Members

The challenge to overcome is trying to find a good system which is as universal as possible to allow fancy wiring combinations if you want them, but also be straightforward if you want some more run of the mill stuff. This is where just soldering straight connections makes things nice and easy, but some people appear to be solderphobic. However, trying to get versatile solutions but maintaining sensible wire lengths and good low-resistance connections is another problem.

The EMG solution is adequate, IMO, you can do everything you can do with a soldered setup, but if you have a small-ish cavity then you'll have problems. My mate tried in vain to fit one into an old BC Rich Ironbird with a long thin cavity. In the end, I soldered it for him; the solderless kit was just too big to cram everything in.

• Members

The challenge to overcome is trying to find a good system which is as universal as possible to allow fancy wiring combinations if you want them, but also be straightforward if you want some more run of the mill stuff. This is where just soldering straight connections makes things nice and easy, but some people appear to be solderphobic. However, trying to get versatile solutions but maintaining sensible wire lengths and good low-resistance connections is another problem.

The EMG solution is adequate, IMO, you can do everything you can do with a soldered setup, but if you have a small-ish cavity then you'll have problems. My mate tried in vain to fit one into an old BC Rich Ironbird with a long thin cavity. In the end, I soldered it for him; the solderless kit was just too big to cram everything in.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as {censored} wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

ibanez02.jpg

Soldered connections in this axe would have been 20x neater IMO!

I had EMG's installed in a guitar recently and they used the solderless wiring. It looks just like the cluster{censored} that you show in the picture.

Also, and this could totally be my imagination, but the output seems lower than my other EMG equipped guitars that were installed via the old fashion method. Anyone else experience this?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as {censored} wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

ibanez02.jpg

Soldered connections in this axe would have been 20x neater IMO!

I had EMG's installed in a guitar recently and they used the solderless wiring. It looks just like the cluster{censored} that you show in the picture.

Also, and this could totally be my imagination, but the output seems lower than my other EMG equipped guitars that were installed via the old fashion method. Anyone else experience this?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed

View Post

I'm glad someone mentioned this!

I ran my volt meter on the new solderless vs. the old school EMG's and I noticed that the ohms were WAAAAAY different. I prefer the old soldered pots because they were louder!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed

View Post

I'm glad someone mentioned this!

I ran my volt meter on the new solderless vs. the old school EMG's and I noticed that the ohms were WAAAAAY different. I prefer the old soldered pots because they were louder!

• Members

Yeah, it does make a rats nest in there, but you're not going to be seeing it, so who cares? As far as tone, I ripped mine out of a guitar where they were hard wired and used the solderless to install them in the new one, and I didn't notice any difference in volume, ect..

• Members

Yeah, it does make a rats nest in there, but you're not going to be seeing it, so who cares? As far as tone, I ripped mine out of a guitar where they were hard wired and used the solderless to install them in the new one, and I didn't notice any difference in volume, ect..

• Members

Ive never had a problem with the EMG solderless stuff. Truth be told , every time a customer asked me to install them , I knew it was going to be a breeze and I never once had an issue. I also love the fact that if you ever want to try a different EMG , you don't have to fiddle around in the control cavity. Just pull the pickup out and attatch the multipin to the new one.

• Members

Ive never had a problem with the EMG solderless stuff. Truth be told , every time a customer asked me to install them , I knew it was going to be a breeze and I never once had an issue. I also love the fact that if you ever want to try a different EMG , you don't have to fiddle around in the control cavity. Just pull the pickup out and attatch the multipin to the new one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

I actually found soldering to be easier than the goddamned solderless system lol.

I can't solder worth {censored}. I've tried a few times and watched a bunch of tutorials. I even went and bought a nice iron. I keep on hearing how easy it is, but for some reason I just can't do it icon_lol.giffacepalm.gif. I spent over an hour trying to solder those damn EMG's in. When I got the solderless kit, it took me a total of less than 10 mins to install.

Archived