New Marshall (revised) DSL for 2012

Mesa/Kramer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No they don't, I've owned the TSL100 and DSL100 multiple times and side by side. The differences are negligible and indistinguishable when EQd more or less the same. If anything, the TSL sounds tighter with the lead channel engaged!

This is interesting. Years ago, a friend brought me his DSL100 to replace the OT with a Mercury Magnetics one he bought for it. I played it for a few minutes before I did the swap, because I'd never played one before. From what I remember, I was disappointed by the flubbiness of it. It didn't strike me as a tight, modern sounding amp at all. However, to be fair, I should have spent some more time with it to be able to form a proper opinion. Just recently I tried out a TSL100 in a local store. It sounded okay, but seemed kinda fizzy and gritty. I admit that I didn't turn it up very loud, so that's probably why. I am currently trying to work out a deal for a dead mint DSL100. I'm hoping that I'll like it once I spend some time with it, and get to play it loud.

• Members
Initially they had a pc board that would break down and become conductive causing the failures pictured, they would burn up!

Don't forget...
- Rectifier that overheats, unsolders itself and and arcs
- Tube socket solder joints breaking loose... arcing again
- Fail-prone output jack switching that could take out the entire output transformer
- Arcing prone, non-fusible screen resistors
- Oscillating power tubes
- Thin PCB to which arcing burns holes
- Connectors developing intermittency or breaking their solder joints: arcing... again.
- Powering the delicate low voltage circuit from filament supply: Plate-filament short toasts everything. And as if you would even need that bad luck, couple that to a PCB design flaw that easily allows screen supply to arc into the filament supply.

It's like a record of how much fail you can compile to a design. :lol:

• Members

Initially they had a pc board that would break down and become conductive causing the failures pictured, they would burn up!

The board was replaced by a better version.

Also,
they really need to make the modes for each channel footswitchable.

Mother{censored}ingthis. My biggest complaint about the DSL. Front panel is great, which makes for a great studio amp, but is very limited when playing it live, unless you just want two channels like most of us.

However, there are always way of modding it to make it footswitchable.

• Members

Yup. They missed the two most asked for upgrades. The footswitchable modes and the separate eqs.

If it had the footswitchable modes I would be all over it. The other "upgrades" don't really interest me.

• Members

Yup. They missed the two most asked for upgrades. The footswitchable modes and the separate eqs.

If it had the footswitchable modes I would be all over it. The other "upgrades" don't really interest me.

I imagine this is to keep them out of the JVM's back pocket

• Members

I had listed my DSL for sale but quickly took it down, since I realized that I was planning to buy another down the road. Figured I may as well just keep this one instead of selling it and buying another one later.

• Members

Don't forget...

- Rectifier that overheats, unsolders itself and and arcs

- Tube socket solder joints breaking loose... arcing again

- Fail-prone output jack switching that could take out the entire output transformer

- Arcing prone, non-fusible screen resistors

- Oscillating power tubes

- Thin PCB to which arcing burns holes

- Connectors developing intermittency or breaking their solder joints: arcing... again.

- Powering the delicate low voltage circuit from filament supply: Plate-filament short toasts everything. And as if you would even need that bad luck, couple that to a PCB design flaw that easily allows screen supply to arc into the filament supply.

It's like a record of how much fail you can compile to a design.
:lol:

Never had those problems, but I have noticed you bag on Marshall's a lot.

The DSL is a great amp, ad I know so many people gigging with them and never once having a problem.

• Members

The board was replaced by a better version.

Also, they really need to make the modes for each channel footswitchable.

I has one of the originals it was checked over with a tech and all was fine after 10 years of use, but that was the head. The combo wasn't do good though.

• Members
This!

I already have a JVM 410H, but the
"Joe Satriani JVM"
looks very cool!

JVM410HJS-large.jpg
Marshall JVM410H Joe Satriani Edition $2600.00

Joe Satriani Edition Amplifier Head Features:

* Modified version of the classic JVM410 amp, voiced to Joe Satriani's tonal specifications

* Four noise gates help you dial in a defined tone on every channel

* Clean channel is the same design found in the Marshall LM6100

* Orange crunch channel is the same design found in the Marshall JCM800 (2203)

* Red crunch channel is similar to the Marshall AFD100 in AFD mode

* Overdrive channels sound more dynamic and open, thanks to a re-designed power supply

* "Mid Shift" control on OD1 and OD2 shifts the midrange focus for extra tonal versatility

* 12AX7 preamp tubes, EL34 power tubes

* Footswitch included

* MIDI input for configurable switching and control

They missed a channel unless the pic isnt accurate.

• Members

No they don't, I've owned the TSL100 and DSL100 multiple times and side by side. The differences are negligible and indistinguishable when EQd more or less the same. If anything, the TSL sounds tighter with the lead channel engaged!

I think a lot of folks simply use the DSL's green channel. I am in that camp. But I also feel the TSL's other channels are not all that desirable. And neither is the red channel of the DSL.

That said, I hope this forces prices for the old DSLs down because I want one! And I am cheap!

• Members

Mother{censored}ingthis. My biggest complaint about the DSL. Front panel is great, which makes for a great studio amp, but is very limited when playing it live, unless you just want two channels like most of us.

THIS. Everything is able to be modded.

• Members

If anything, I think I liked my TSL100s more than the DSL100s, but both amps need tweaking to get what you want out of them. We used to cover a few Fear Factory songs and I simply used a stock TSL100. It is really versatile.

But that all said, the mere fact that the JVM410h exists, I wonder why anyone would bother with either.

The JCM2000s were not the most reliable of amps, I did need to journey up to Milton Keynes every so often for Marshall to fix them. But I never, across the 17 JCM2000 amps I owned, gigged and used, ever had to reach for a fire extinguisher or experience a stupidly expensive failure.

The three Bugera combos I had delivered lasted a total if 4 minutes between them; apparently plugging them in is expecting too much :S

• Members

I've got the 401 combo, for some reason, you can change between crunch modes on this amp an very usefull it is too! I've no idea why this feature never made it to the heads

• Members

I toured a DSL 100 for 2 years with no problems at all, out of a cold van into a warm venue, no flightcase, it even got dropped a few times.

it probably did nearing 200 shows with no issues, so my experiences are only good.

I like the red channel and my EQ for clean/drive sounds is pretty close anyway so i dont see a shared eq as a compromise.

Archived