SS Posse!

Shask

• Members

Pretty much the "Scooped 5150 but tighter" seems about right to me, the mids on 7-8 for the Engl is like them on 4-5 on the 6505+. It's a dark mid too, you turn it up and it doesn't seem that middy unless you pull back on the lows and highs.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro

View Post

Even with the 2.2K EQ slider up?

Thats a little higher frequency then what you would get in a Marshall for example, so it doesnt quite sound the same.

Plus, I dont keep it or 6600 too high, because it gets real grating on the ears if you do. I keep the presence down also.

I think Mesa's sound best if you keep them dark.

• Members

I must just like bright tones, I had both of those over 1/2way on the Mark V I played a couple months back. icon_lol.gif Also like the mid knob up pretty high with the 750 pulled down a lot. I used to scoop 800 in the Laney. heh

Well, if these really are straight up "same as a Mark with more annoying bass" I guess I don't need a Mesa ever. The Mark III/IV are the only Mesa amps I've ever liked. icon_lol.gif I'm not hearing it though, this thing does not sound nice ever, even with the gain on like 2 it's pissed off brutal.

• Members

I keep the 2200 and 6600 just slightly above the middle line. I used to scoop 2200 sometimes, when I was trying to get a Recto tone, but I can do that easier with my Recto now icon_lol.gif

I keep 750 pretty much at the bottom.

I dont notice much change with the mid knob since I keep the treble so high on the knobs. When you keep the treble high, the mids and bass knobs dont do much.

I like the Mark III though. It annoys me at times that I always have to max it out for the sound i want, but sometimes I think having that less brutal side will be usefull biggrin.gif

• Members

I think it depends on the amp also. Mesa's can get really fizzy and annoying on the high end.

On my Marshall Clone I built, I keep the treble high. It is bright, but it sounds pretty good like that. Slayer/Fear Factory land.

• Members

View Post

I wouldn't mind having something smoother, more shred-styled, like a JSX. icon_lol.gif

Thats why I like having the Mark III around. It makes you want to solo smile.gif Its a big contrast in feel to my other amps.

Cant you get all these sounds on the RP1000 though? icon_lol.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Whats up nerds. Well after an 8 month lay off from guitar, I have gotten back into playing. The other day I got a used but mint, red stripe, USA Peavey Bandit. The Modern clean/distortion kicks ass. The other clean and distortions are blah, but the modern rocks. Here next week, I'm gonna replace the Tonerider with either a D activader, or EVO 2. The TR has a lot of lowend/low mids, and not enough highs. Other then that, I probably won't get anything else for a while. I really don't need it.

• Members

Not too much. I am in his fast paced summer Math class that is sucking my life away. It is horrible, lol. 3 more weeks and I start another one...

I havent played too much, but I have mostly played my Mark III and Viper.

Ive been reading up on the Axe-FX facepalm.gif

• Members

I started taking lessons again, after going to a few concerts. This dude is all about learning theory, formulas, progressions. All the boring stuff nobody wants to learn lol. But I need to get a handle on it all, so I won't just be a hack like the people that hang out at GC. I've mostly been spending my days working out, and laying out. My brains on that weird kick, where I want to be in super human shape again. Anxiety disorders, I tell yea. I did get the Linden method, to try and break it. We'll see if it works.

• Members

What is the Linden method?

I did a little theory, but mostly I wanna rock Totally_jammin_out.gif

I guess I dont worry about learning too much about all that stuff. I want to keep it as a hobby, and not depend on it for $$.

• Members

View Post

Yeah. icon_lol.gif Dunno what I'd replace it with though, Mesa Stiletto?

Isnt that funny how that happens? Have something for years, and all of a sudden just dont want it, lol.

I thought the first Stiletto sounded horrible, but all the good press here makes me want to try the II version.

Do you need a second amp? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Do I need the first amp for that matter? icon_lol.gif It's not a bad amp, it just needs to be played really {censored}ing loud, which I can't do right now. icon_lol.gif

I would probably have a JSX right now if I'd walked into one of the local shops a week earlier than I did, someone snagged it at $550. frown.gif

• Members

My Triple Recto needs some volume also. But, I will suffer because nothing sounds as huge as that thing biggrin.gif

Well, you have the modeler also, which should be able to provide different tones. The GSP1101 is definitely one thing I wouldnt mind having right now.

Archived