SS Posse!

Shask

• Members

Its hard to accept, but sometimes it is just time for change smile.gif I have REALLY been considering selling my 5150 lately, which is hard after having it for 8 years or so.

Sounds like it more of what you want in an amp than the Laney.

I have never played an ENGL, but I would like to.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats pretty cool it does what you want without the boost or MASS.

Sometimes that is too easy though wink.gif Thats one reason the Mark III bugs me at times, I cant really improve it with external gear. Thats half the fun, lol.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro

View Post

Well, boosting 1.6k in the loop makes it more "marshally". icon_lol.gif

Can it use EL34's?

I know I was trying the 6L6/EL34 combo in my Mark III yesterday. It definitely made it more middy and somewhat more Marshally. All-in-all though, I preferred the scooped 6L6 tone. Perfect AJFA/Black album tone smile.gif

• Members

Ive been on a huge AJFA/Black kick for some weird reason lately, so I have been loving the smooth low mid thing lately. Esp the $5.98 EP tone.

I need to sell some pedals or something so I can get some new powertubes for the Mark III.

• Members

Just a little reverb on on the rhythm tones, and some boost/delay/verb on the lead stuff. I actually have it dialed in that way on purpose, it can get a lot more bassy and scooped if you push the bass knob higher and hit the depth button.

Settings in that vid were:

Gain 5

Bright on

Depth off

Bass 6

Mids 7

Treble 5

Presence 5

• Members

Yeah, I almost always crank the bass on every amp, lol. I like that big full sound on the bass. For example, I love the tone of Enemies of Reality.

You liking it now that you have had more time with it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shask

View Post

You like it better than the 5152 you had?

It definitely sounds very aggressive. Its like it has a SD-1 built in icon_lol.gif

The Fireball sounds better at low volume. I would say about even for metal tones. The 6505+ had to "kick in" first though, which was over conversation volume. wink.gif

If they made a 50watt 6505+ head I'd be all over it. icon_lol.gif I'm tempted to snag the new combo and make a head out of it.

• Members

I know what you mean. That is something I hated about my 5150 for years. About 1.5 on the post the sound would kick in, and you couldn't use it below that. Its not a big deal now, but when I lived in an apartment, it was a killer. Thats why I played my Randall so much back then.

My 2 Mesa's don't really do that. Although, I will say the Triple needs a little volume to really sound right. The Mark kind of kicks in also, but its not as drastic as the 5150.

I ran 2 tubes in mine for awhile, but that just made it sound worse icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Yeah, I still kinda have MarkIII GAS. icon_lol.gif

I have been considering selling mine, but everytime I play it, it just has something the others dont smile.gif That smoother, Metallica type crunch. I always think I would kick myself.

I need new tubes in mine, and I think that is what causes it to sound dull sometimes. I put the power tubes that are in my Recto in it last week, and it definitely had more bass punch.

I always think the 5150 or the Mark III is going to go up on the block first, so I am always comparing them.

Guest Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Shask

View Post

Its hard to accept, but sometimes it is just time for change smile.gif I have REALLY been considering selling my 5150 lately, which is hard after having it for 8 years or so.

Sounds like it more of what you want in an amp than the Laney.

I have never played an ENGL, but I would like to.

If you have a Mesa Mark, there really isn't a point to froth at the gums for Engl. They sound about the same except Engl's have a bit more bass to their sound and more gain, the bass is a weird type that you can't dial the bad parts out and the added gain really becomes undesireable if you set it to the levels beyond a Mark anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rimisrandma

View Post

If you have a Mesa Mark, there really isn't a point to froth at the gums for Engl. They sound about the same except Engl's have a bit more bass to their sound and more gain, the bass is a weird type that you can't dial the bad parts out and the added gain really becomes undesireable if you set it to the levels beyond a Mark anyway.

I dunno about Engl's other amps, but I've played a lot of mark IIIs, IVs, and one V, and the Fireball is not similar. The tightness is, but otherwise it's no closer to a mesa mark than any other high gain amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire

View Post

cool.gif

my ampeg is kaput. i need to have a tech look at it, keeps fading in and out even with the effects loops jumpered, i'm depressed, needless to say.

Does the gain fade in and out, or just the overall volume?

Try another preamp into the FX loop return, and see if it still does it.

• Members

View Post

I dunno about Engl's other amps, but I've played a lot of mark IIIs, IVs, and one V, and the Fireball is not similar. The tightness is, but otherwise it's no closer to a mesa mark than any other high gain amp.

When Powerball clips first came out in 2003ish, I said it sounds alot like a Mark series Mesa. Everyone said I was an idiot, because they werent the IN thing yet.

Im sure now the masses would agree icon_lol.gif

Archived