SS Posse!

Shask

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shask View Post
I think Rectos vary a lot. Some of them sound like a big fuzzy sponge, while others are completely evil sounding.

The one I have is pretty evil. For example, I know you are big into Testament, I can get that heavy "Low" tone easy with no boost, or any other gear.

Id like to try an Engl period, but I dont know if they would be my thing or not.
Yeah, I've heard the really low numbered ones sound better. Can't be assed to hunt for one though. icon_lol.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro

View Post

Yeah, I've heard the really low numbered ones sound better. Can't be assed to hunt for one though. icon_lol.gif

Mine is a '99, and fairly high number (13,000 something I think?), so its not just the early ones.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
Eh, we're going to Orlando for my B-day in January, mostly to hit music shops, so I'll test some rectos for the hell of it.

I think a Stilletto would be more my style though. icon_lol.gif
I couldn't stand them for the longest time, from playing different variations at the store (esp Single Rectos, YUCK).

But, there are so many CD's out there recorded with them that I love, that I knew there had to be something to them, so I always had it in the back of my mind I wanted to spend some quality time with one and an OD pedal.

But, it just so happens that the one i got is pretty good, and the OD pedal is pretty much optional, not required... smile.gif

• Members

Well, I changed a few parts in my Marshall clone amp, and it is a little quieter now. I backed the gain down slightly, but it is still a lot. It really only hisses now when the gain is over 8. But, with a high gain humbucker, really over 6-7 is stupid gain. I only get it that high when medium output pickups.

It is sounding pretty damn good now. Most Marshall sounds I like I can get with no external gear.

I need some better preamp tubes for it though. Actually, I need to order like 30 preamp tubes frown.gif

• Members
So Tosh, do you find you have a weird chug sound in the Strat and Charvel since the bridge humbucker is further away from the bridge than normal guitars?

I always wondered if strats had a weird sound because of this.
Not that I've really noticed. The Tone Zone is just naturally muddier than my other pickups though. icon_lol.gif Don't have any problems with the SuperD loaded one....

• Members

I thought those Charvels came with Duncans?

Ive been eye-ballin those today biggrin.gif Is the trem blocked off completely? Do you have problems with the neck heel? You got a good deal on yours, didnt you?

Bridge humbuckers in strats always look like they are too far away from the bridge. Always made me wonder if that made them have a strange tone.

• Members
I thought those Charvels came with Duncans?

Ive been eye-ballin those today biggrin.gif Is the trem blocked off completely? Do you have problems with the neck heel? You got a good deal on yours, didnt you?

Bridge humbuckers in strats always look like they are too far away from the bridge. Always made me wonder if that made them have a strange tone.
The "San Dimas"(no pickguard) models have Duncans, and the "So Cal"(pickguard) models have Dimarzios.

The trem can float, it's just not routed out behind it. I blocked mine though, so it's down only, because I have floating guitars for when I want that.

The neck heel really isn't an issue. It big, but there aren't that many frets up there anyways. icon_lol.gif I find it easier to get to the top frets on this than on my Schecter 7 when I had it. I've never had a problem with neckplate heels anyway, though.

Yeah, stupid deal, $800 brand new. smile.gif

• Members

I was gonna check them out today....

But...

I ran into the Schecter 7 string I have been wanting love.gif The Black Hellraiser 7.

They had one they had just recently put on the floor. The price was dropped $100, and it was still MIK. If you dont know, Schecter is starting to send everything to China Even their $800 Hellraisers facepalm.gif

I think thats why the price was dropped, so I think this was one of the last ones before the Chinese ones came in. I figured it was probably a good time to grab one, even though I dont have the money frown.gif

It plays good, sounds good, and has good resonance. Only 1 or 2 paint blemishes. It has the splittable EMG 707TW pickups. I am happy with it biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
The "San Dimas"(no pickguard) models have Duncans, and the "So Cal"(pickguard) models have Dimarzios.

The trem can float, it's just not routed out behind it. I blocked mine though, so it's down only, because I have floating guitars for when I want that.

The neck heel really isn't an issue. It big, but there aren't that many frets up there anyways. icon_lol.gif I find it easier to get to the top frets on this than on my Schecter 7 when I had it. I've never had a problem with neckplate heels anyway, though.

Yeah, stupid deal, $800 brand new. smile.gif
I have been looking at these more and more, and REALLY considering it smile.gif
I think the purple like yours, or the black is my favs.

Dont you have a tremol-no in yours? and a D-tuna? sounds good smile.gif

• Members
You just block it with wood?

How do you get the wood block to stay in there? I used super glue on my MH, but not too happy about how it worked out.
Yeah. I got some craft wood(like popsicle sticks/etc) from wally-world and used gorilla glue.

• Members

So, you just glued together a bunch of Popsicle sticks? lol

I used stacks of pennies in one guitar, and a block of wood in another I sanded down forever to get right.

Did you notice an increase in sustain?

You said the neck is kind of like a round Fender type profile?

• Members

They kinda vary slightly in thickness, so I just tested a bunch until I found the combo that was right, trimmed them down, and glued. icon_lol.gif

The neck is C shaped, but it's a lot thinner than a Fender. I would say it's closer to a Ibanez neck, but without the flat spot.

• Members
They kinda vary slightly in thickness, so I just tested a bunch until I found the combo that was right, trimmed them down, and glued. icon_lol.gif

The neck is C shaped, but it's a lot thinner than a Fender. I would say it's closer to a Ibanez neck, but without the flat spot.
Maybe like an ESP MII profile?

I guess I was thinking they were a bit rounder/thicker than that. Like a slightly thinner Fender.

• Members
Maybe like an ESP MII profile?

I guess I was thinking they were a bit rounder/thicker than that. Like a slightly thinner Fender.
Yeah, I thought they were thicker too, until I actually got a Fender profile neck. icon_lol.gif It doesn't feel thin, it feels like sex. icon_lol.gif I wish there were exact measurements posted online..

Haven't played an MII in like 10 years, so wouldn't know. It's got the wide nut width, though, so it's not like the LTDs I've played, and the profile is a lot better than the Alexi I played.

Archived