SS Posse!

Shask

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shask

View Post

You should try it in loose biggrin.gif

He should.. At bedroom levels I like it at medium, but "tight" really sounds bad in my opinion, and when you are cranking that sumbitch the "loose" setting is where its at without a doubt. Its still tight, but its just WAY bigger and meaner...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

I took my clone apart with the intention of putting in the 6L6's. BUT, I measured it at 480V, which makes me nervous for 6L6's. (They are rated at 500V max), so I let it be. I did adjust the bias though, because it had drifted some.

Funny enough, I started playing with the bright cap. I have always had it disconnected, so I just clipped it back on, and holy crap, it sounded way better biggrin.gif The missing aggression came back. I am going to have to solder it back in there. Perfect Anthrax/Fear Factory tone with no pedals. It was a little fat and dark.

I am undecided though, solder it back, or put it on a switch?

I'd put it on a switch. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

He should.. At bedroom levels I like it at medium, but "tight" really sounds bad in my opinion, and when you are cranking that sumbitch the "loose" setting is where its at without a doubt. Its still tight, but its just WAY bigger and meaner...

I like tight, med is okay. I'll give loose a shot, but if it sounds rectoish it's not getting used.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro

View Post

I'd put it on a switch. thumb.gif

I like tight, med is okay. I'll give loose a shot, but if it sounds rectoish it's not getting used.

I am thinking switch. I have 2 extra inputs I am not using, so I could put one there.

I am also thinking about messing with the extra gain stage. It really has too much gain, lol. I dont know if I should cut it back, or maybe a second gain knob.

I always thought the XXX on loose was still tighter than a 5150 or Recto. Esp if you use a boost.

• Members

I am always using boosts, lol. thats my motivation for putting that bright on a switch, because it is too much with a boost, and I cant get rid of that option icon_lol.gif

I am actually trying to sell off some boosts, since I have hoarded too many, lol.

Maybe I should just build a Tubescreamer in my guitar idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro

View Post

Dunno, but I hate 10" speakers for guitar tones. The Seventy/80 is a pretty flat EQ'd speaker, usually ends up in modelling amps.

It's a full range 10", which isn't going to sound at all like a 10" voiced for guitar.

I've heard people's PODs through a variety of PA setups, some using speakers as small as 6.5". All sounded way more full than any guitar speaker that small.

The quality of cab sim the gear has plays an important role as well. The AMT stuff seems solid.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HELSTRUME

View Post

Thats cool. Wonder if there will be a trend. Two channel amps, in pedal size.

Kinda weird, lol.

I wouldnt want a tube like in the one above. It would sound pretty {censored}ty at the low voltages that pedals run.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HELSTRUME

View Post

Just give it a couple more years.

I am surprised we haven't seen more Crate Powerblocks.

Something the size of a college textbook, with like 2-3 channels, and like 200W SS.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket

View Post

The powerblock had a cab sim that was on all the time. Unless you did some trickery with the cd/aux in, it was a major annoyance.

I dont think so. It was just a 1 channel preamp which was like the middle channel on their amps.

You could plug another preamp into the poweramp section only.

• Members

View Post

I dont think so. It was just a 1 channel preamp which was like the middle channel on their amps.

You could plug another preamp into the poweramp section only.

I've seen several sources that say all outs are colored by a speaker sim.

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?p=25077

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1562821

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=3974

Archived