Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey GCDEF, How does the Traynor take pedals? I have the SS too. Just love that Bassman channel! And it takes pedals great. The SS OD is just so so for me, a little thin. I'd rather stack my OD pedals anyway.

I really don't use an OD pedal with it too much. It generates plenty of good sounding distortion on its own. Occasionally I'll use a Tube Screamer on the clean channel and that sounds good. All the other modulation/delay pedals sound like they should. I've never really grasped the concept that some amps take pedals better than others though, so keep that in mind.

• Members

How far are you from Palm Beach?This place carries just about every Traynor amp,and has good prices and price matching,as well.

Ed

I'm on the other side of the state, by Clearwater.

If you do want to buy, look for seller proaudiostar on ebay. Make him an offer. He'll accept way below the going rate.

• Members

I have been an avid fan and owner of the Traynor YCV-40WR for a few years now. I think it is great value and great tone on both channels and does low volume tone fairly well but I wish it had a master volume. Sounds like this is a new version of the 50watt Blue. With all the new features you have really wetted my appetite. Could you possibly send me a that quote as well?:thu:

Thanks.

• Members

...It generates plenty of good sounding distortion on its own...

GCDEF,sorry for the constant questioning,but it looks like you're my only source with personal hands on experience with the YCS-50.Is the EQ flexible enough to allow the high gain side to go from modified vintage British bark,then to '80's hair metal and on to JCM800 type chunk and grind?As an example,I really like the tight crunch voicing on the Rivera Clubster 25 Doce video with Jay Gore.Can the YCS-50 get at least pretty close,and with similar punch and clarity?

http://www.rivera.com/video.php

Ed

• Members

GCDEF,sorry for the constant questioning,but it looks like you're my only source with personal hands on experience with the YCS-50.Is the EQ flexible enough to allow the high gain side to go from modified vintage British bark,then to '80's hair metal and on to JCM800 type chunk and grind?As an example,I really like the tight crunch voicing on the Rivera Clubster 25 Doce video with Jay Gore.Can the YCS-50 get at least pretty close,and with similar punch and clarity?

Ed

Happy to help. Personally, I'm not a big Rivera fan. That tone's buzzier than I care for. The clean channel set to Brit with the gain cranked will give you the super lead kind of crunch. The drive channel does the hair-metal sound very well. I just dial it in with the gain most of the way up and use the guitar's volume knob to adjust the level of crunch. Doing that takes you from 70s to 80s. There's the modern switch for the drive channel that adds a more modern sound to the gain too. One thing with this amp is I almost never use an OD pedal any more.

There's so much flexibility built into it, there really isn't much in the way of classic sounds you can't get from it. I would think with a bit more treble than I usually dial in it could get that Rivera tone, but to my ears, the Traynor sounds way better than that.

I just ordered the three channel head too since I like the combo so much. I'll post a review on that next week some time.

• Members

Thanks GCDEF.Since they supposedly have a head version of the YCS-50,I wonder if Traynor is going to unleash a combo version of the 3 channel YCS-100 [or 3 channel 50/90] at the winter NAMM show?

Btw,that Rivera crunch tone is really not my favorite,but that "almost too bright" crunch tone is needed for some of the 80's rock stuff I do with the band.My Mesa/Boogie MKIIC+ [factory EL34 modded,non EQ model] is much too smooth [in a very good way],and my Bedrock 1600 doesn't quite take me there.Plus the 1600 is a bit too refined for raw crunch [in a very good way,as well].I really am leaning toward a Traynor YCS combo...be it a YCS-50 or a YCS-90?

Ed

• Members

Before I again forget to ask,does the YCS-50 have more available gain than either the YCV-40 or YCV-50 combos?Or is it just more flexible due to the different EQ'ing options on the Custom Special?

Btw,I had a burgandy YCV-20 with the Celestion Greenback that I didn't quite get along with.While the clean side was rather nice,the overdrive mode had a bloated midrange hump that I just could not dial out.I wanted to really like my YCV-20,but even a set of NOS GE EL84's and RCA 12AX7A's could not get the amp to give me my sound.While a sweet little amp for many,it was just not enough to my liking to keep.

Ed

• Members

I know the YCV-80Q I had had plenty of gain for the metal I played... and it had a scoop button that helped with the overemphasized midrange... albeit I had to put the mids on 8 to cut through a decently loud mix with the scoop function engaged.

PS: Sorry for not calling man, I'm in a fog here lately and can't remember {censored}.

• Members

I know the YCV-80Q I had had plenty of gain for the metal I played... and it had a scoop button that helped with the overemphasized midrange... albeit I had to put the mids on 8 to cut through a decently loud mix with the scoop function engaged.

PS: Sorry for not calling man, I'm in a fog here lately and can't remember {censored}.

No problem...what,with your job situation and all.Maybe catch you this weekend,when I'm not working.Btw,thanks for the YCV-80Q info...good to know.

Ed

• Members

No problem...what,with your job situation and all.Maybe catch you this weekend,when I'm not working.Btw,thanks for the YCV-80Q info...good to know.

Ed

Alright, man. I still gotta hunt the little cup that I put the screws in for the chassis on the amp...

I'll send you some clips with the Blue Marvel in a bit... funny thing is it seems to record better than the EV.

• Members

I am getting really interested in this amp now. How well does it do metal and palm mutes ? The youtube video sounded good.

I'm not a metal/palm muting kind of player, so I don't really feel I could answer that question properly. It does have quite a bit of gain on tap, and with the modern switch engaged on the drive channel, it seems like they're trying to cover that base, but that's not my style so I don't want to steer you wrong by attempting a definitive answer.

• Members

Before I again forget to ask,does the YCS-50 have more available gain than either the YCV-40 or YCV-50 combos?Or is it just more flexible due to the different EQ'ing options on the Custom Special?

Btw,I had a burgandy YCV-20 with the Celestion Greenback that I didn't quite get along with.While the clean side was rather nice,the overdrive mode had a bloated midrange hump that I just could not dial out.I wanted to really like my YCV-20,but even a set of NOS GE EL84's and RCA 12AX7A's could not get the amp to give me my sound.While a sweet little amp for many,it was just not enough to my liking to keep.

Ed

I've only heard a YCV-50 once for a very short time. It sounded like it had quite a bit of gain. but I can't compare the two because I just don't have enough experience with that amp. I am familiar with the 20 and 40 and the drive channel on the YCS blows them out of the water. More gain, much better tone. Not even close.

• Members

I've only heard a YCV-50 once for a very short time. It sounded like it had quite a bit of gain. but I can't compare the two because I just don't have enough experience with that amp. I am familiar with the 20 and 40 and the drive channel on the YCS blows them out of the water. More gain, much better tone. Not even close.

Sounds good to me...Thanks! :thu:

Ed

• Members

I have had this brand new ycs 50 for about two months and I bought it under the condition that L&M put a tung sol in the v1 and el34's in the power section, totally awesome sounds right freakin now! I thoroughly recommend this amp to all, I run a tech 21 double drive into an aby box then straight into both the ycs 50 and my Laney Aor 30, in combination or seperately this set up kills small furry animals(not that I have). I have owned Marshalls, Fenders, Mesa Boogies, with the tech 21 as a clean boost this amp will cover all those amps, oh yeah there is enough gain as a matter of fact the owners manual warns against maxxing out the gain because there is only so much gain any guitar or tube can handle so thats why I run the boost in front for the added gain with out overgaining the amp and getting that squealing crap, I love the sound of tubes, both clean and overdriven tones, have been playing for more than 20 years and this is the amp for me:thu:

Archived