Raven amps the worst ever?

Kassanova

• Members

I'm starting to think that all of these amps are made by the same company and they just change the name from time to time to a different random animal ... my first amp was a 10 watt Tiger (I still have it, because I can't give it away), then Gorilla, Rhino, and now Raven ...
it's a conspiracy of bad tone

:lol:

• Members

I worked at Guitar Center, and the store manager told me Bruce Egnater (think Mesa Rectifiers, B52 AT100s, and his own line of amps) designed these. Of course, he has said some pretty wrong stuff before so it might have just been crap.

lol... go back to ultimate guitar

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Well, I'm not gonna say they're the greatest amps I've ever played , cuz they're not. They do have a somewhat cheapo feel to them, and the half stack I tried at GC was wasted (the crunch channel made this god awful noise when I switched to it). But, the day I bought my cream white Artcore hollowbody, I tried it through a Raven RG60, went from clean to megacrunch:evil:, messed with the built in reverb, and wound up buying the amp too. It gets dirty too fast on the clean channel for my liking, but I can still keep it clean to a respectable volume for small club use, and the dirty channel goes anywhere from mild grit to a full on shredmeister assault, and all points in between. Bottom line, if you take the time to dail in your tone, you can probably get it from this stout little amp, for less than 20% of the price of a similar size tube amp. And as a clincher, it's light, so I don't have to kill my already wasted back lugging it around! Not too shabby for a $180 crapola amp....

• Members

Well, I'm not gonna say they're the greatest amps I've ever played , cuz they're not. They do have a somewhat cheapo feel to them, and the half stack I tried at GC was wasted (the crunch channel made this god awful noise when I switched to it). But, the day I bought my cream white Artcore hollowbody, I tried it through a Raven RG60, went from clean to megacrunch:evil:, messed with the built in reverb, and wound up buying the amp too. It gets dirty too fast on the clean channel for my liking, but I can still keep it clean to a respectable volume for small club use, and the dirty channel goes anywhere from mild grit to a full on shredmeister assault, and all points in between. Bottom line, if you take the time to dail in your tone, you can probably get it from this stout little amp, for less than 20% of the price of a similar size tube amp. And as a clincher, it's light, so I don't have to kill my already wasted back lugging it around! Not too shabby for a $180 crapola amp....

Hmm, one post, join date today, outspoken praise...

Is that you, "Bruce Egnater"? :cop:

• Members

I'm starting to think that all of these amps are made by the same company and they just change the name from time to time to a different random animal ... my first amp was a 10 watt Tiger (I still have it, because I can't give it away), then Gorilla, Rhino, and now Raven ... it's a conspiracy of bad tone.

Bad Cat :o

• Members

capture.gif

Good work all! :poke:

That would explain the massive influx of noobs in this thread and its continual resurgence.

For what it's worth, a cheap SS practice amp is a cheap practice amp. There might be some slight differences in voicing but come on, any amp that costs $60 is going to sound like someone farting into a box of cornflakes :idk:

• Members

I took a friend's kid to GC today to look for his 1st guitar. Had the misfortune to plug into two of these. The first just made a loud squeal when I turned it on. The second... well I wish it just made a squealing noise. These piles of {censored} make the old Crate GX-15 look like a tone machine.

• Members

Stumbled on this thread today. For the record. These are some companies I have done stuff for. Doesn't mean I designed every product for them, but I have done some sort of design (or redesign) work for them. These are ones I can think of off hand right now.

Randall

Rocktron

B-52

Hiwatt

Egnater (duh)

Companies I have not done things for but have seen the Egnater name somehow tied to them (in error)

MesaBoogie

Raven

Rocktron within the last few years

B-52 from more than a few years ago

• Members

Stumbled on this thread today. For the record. These are some companies I have done stuff for. Doesn't mean I designed every product for them, but I have done some sort of design (or redesign) work for them. These are ones I can think of off hand right now.

Randall

Rocktron

B-52

Hiwatt

Egnater (duh)

Companies I have
not
done things for but have seen the Egnater name somehow tied to them (in error)

MesaBoogie

Raven

Getting mistaken for being part of Raven? :facepalm::lol:

I love a LOT of amps you have been involved with man.

I did not care for the Egnater Rebel though. To be fair, I think I might have had a lemon.

• Members

Randall

Rocktron

B-52

Hiwatt

Egnater (duh)

Companies I have
not
done things for but have seen the Egnater name somehow tied to them (in error)

MesaBoogie

Raven

Wow, bruce egnater posts here. :love:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

It really is funny to me when someone gets on these threads and talks about how this amp sucks...that rig is lame etc. I have had HiWatt, Peavey, Fender, Hughes Kettner, Marshall Valve amps...Digital digital Line6...and I bought my son a Raven at GC. It's a basic little amp that holds it's own in the community of SS and digital...I bought it because he is 11... and it had a clean and driven channel with a light delay, pretty accurate dynamic tuner and an input for mp3 and headphone jack...He won't be playing at the Garden or the Fox but it processes the signal as competent as many Line6 (and even some rectum-fiers) products at quad the price... Some of the clowns on here feel that because they can fart out a pedestrian rendition of Cliffs of Dover that they have it all figured out....Got news for you...if you can't make $100 amp sound good...you suck--an amp...a guitar...any instrument is only as good as the person playing it...The best I have seen and heard are those that complain the least and make NO excuses about "their tone" and how they get it. The amp is backed by GC with a "no questions asked" with regard to repairs...

It's a decent cost effective amp that covers all bases in the home or garage band setting...

It's getting so old to listen to some chumps with condescending opinions about gear--typically punks that would embarrass themselves with any set up in a live venue...

• Members

It really is funny to me when someone gets on these threads and talks about how this amp sucks...that rig is lame etc. I have had HiWatt, Peavey, Fender, Hughes Kettner, Marshall Valve amps...Digital digital Line6...and I bought my son a Raven at GC. It's a basic little amp that holds it's own in the community of SS and digital...I bought it because he is 11... and it had a clean and driven channel with a light delay, pretty accurate dynamic tuner and an input for mp3 and headphone jack...He won't be playing at the Garden or the Fox but it processes the signal as competent as many Line6 (and even some rectum-fiers) products at quad the price... Some of the clowns on here feel that because they can fart out a pedestrian rendition of Cliffs of Dover that they have it all figured out....Got news for you...if you can't make $100 amp sound good...you suck--an amp...a guitar...any instrument is only as good as the person playing it...The best I have seen and heard are those that complain the least and make NO excuses about "their tone" and how they get it. The amp is backed by GC with a "no questions asked" with regard to repairs...

It's a decent cost effective amp that covers all bases in the home or garage band setting...

It's getting so old to listen to some chumps with condescending opinions about gear--typically punks that would embarrass themselves with any set up in a live venue...

Says the guy who found a thread last posted in 18 months ago? And made his first post to respond to it?

Its perfect for the application you bought it for, so why come here to tell people that? Would not a positive review on Musicians Friend or GC be more useful/helpful instead of rezzin' dead threads on a forum that umm, is more focused on higher quality amps? :idk:

• Members

Y-u-mad-tho.jpg

• Members

Cmon guys hes new here, whada ya xpect?

He did a search & found us ripping on it, felt the need to defend. Natural reaction. ;)

Meantime Mathew just pop into a few threads & look around for a bit B4 u post any more, get used to the routine for a while. Its fairly brutal. ;)

Oh & if your name has something to do with scripture, maybe this aint the best place for you... :D

• Members

I worked at Guitar Center, and the store manager told me Bruce Egnater (think Mesa Rectifiers, B52 AT100s, and his own line of amps) designed these. Of course, he has said some pretty wrong stuff before so it might have just been crap.

Interesting...look at the name.

Look at the name of the new poster.

Coincidence?????

Probably. :o