Raven amps the worst ever?

Kassanova

• Members

I was in Guitar Center and decided to try this amp I had never seen before called a Raven. I plugged in a standard Ibanez guitar and, I swear this amp had to be the worst I've heard in years. It sounded like complete ASS. On the upside, the built-in tuner was nice. I hope they are giving those away free with the purchase of a 5 pack of strings, otherwise somebody's getting ripped off. Anyone else played one of these?

Well, they just weren't made for high class players like you.

:lol:

• Members

I have to say from experience that Raven's do suck big donkey balls! I bought one for the wife and kids to play so that they would not touch my gear, and it is the worst sounding little pos I have ever heard. Crates and Gorillas far outshine this amp! I use it as a work bench!

• Members

Haha.... I am the proud owner of a Raven RG 100 combo.

Here is a real review for all you one post Raven employees.... ERRRR I mean, regular Joes upset at seeing your favorite amp hated on by the HCAF regulars like two years ago.

It has two channels, Lead and Rhythm.

The Lead channel has enough gain to make you hate the channel and that's about it. It kind of sounds like a bad ass broken muffler.

The Rhythm channel has no gain but! it is a pretty good colorless clean channel. It is actually great for pedals and modelers.

The amp has a reverb which you should never use. Ever. It's pretty terrible, much like the gain channel.

The speakers in the combo are some generic 75s that are fairly low end heavy.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I don't understand. I purchased a raven rg60 two years ago and It sounds fine. I play a Gibson explorer and a Gibson sg through the clean channel and it is perfectly clean and doesn't break up no matter how loud it gets. The gain channel sounds good too. I jam with a friend who has a Marshall dsl 40 watt tube, and I'll tell ya, it sounds nearly as good and JUSTAS LOUD. He paid $800 for his, I paid $200 for mine. If you don't like the distortion then put a pedal in front of it. I use a boss ds1 through the clean channel and it sounds great. What's the problem? It's loud, it's affordable, and you can use any floor stomp box through it. And they're cheap enough to by 2 just aa a back up (which I might do!) Just saying.

• Members

reddt1 wrote:

I think Gorilla still hold the title of worst sounding amp. Never played a raven.

I'm starting to think that all of these amps are made by the same company and they just change the name from time to time to a different random animal ... my first amp was a 10 watt Tiger (I still have it, because I can't give it away), then Gorilla, Rhino, and now Raven ... it's a conspiracy of bad tone.

I'd like a 10 watt Wombat.

Edit: Holy crap! I just posted in a necro thread. Facepalm.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

The fact that you describe and amp as "sounding like ass", is an indication that you like the more "base" things in life. This is also probably means that you like more basic sounding music, which would imply distortion on your amp.  As a jazz player, I don't rely on distortion, I rely on practice time, and I use a clean sound on my amp.  I can tell you that the Raven Amps sound good, as clean amps.  I liked them so much that I bought a couple of them.  I also used the 20 Watt version (with the 12 inch speaker) at a hotel gig, for the entire summer, one year.  It was a reliable workhorse.    In terms of volume, I operated it within a comfortable range for the amp.  Jazz is not dance music, generally,  I didn't play with a drummer, and I wanted people to be able to talk to each other without shouting.  All of these things spell moderate volume. I haven't seen the schematic, but based on the price point, these are more than likely made up of op-amps, which are linear integrated circuits.  Integrated circuits were used originally in the U.S. space program where they needed durablity, and reliability in electronic components.  Some tube guys will probably think that these amps sound too clean, and sterile.  I disagree.  These amps were designed well. They have a decent sound.  If you want a particular distortion sound, go get a pedal with the distortion sound that you like, and put it on the front end, before the amp.  Raven Amps were a good deal.  They cost less than the name branded amps with the same amount of power.  I've used my Raven 20 watt amp on several gigs without any problems.  They are reliable and they sound good.  Don't let the brand name, or the price fool you.  They're a good deal.  

• Members
21 hours ago, k.Teel said:

The fact that you describe and amp as "sounding like ass", is an indication that you like the more "base" things in life. This is also probably means that you like more basic sounding music, which would imply distortion on your amp.  As a jazz player, I don't rely on distortion, I rely on practice time, and I use a clean sound on my amp.  I can tell you that the Raven Amps sound good, as clean amps.  I liked them so much that I bought a couple of them.  I also used the 20 Watt version (with the 12 inch speaker) at a hotel gig, for the entire summer, one year.  It was a reliable workhorse.    In terms of volume, I operated it within a comfortable range for the amp.  Jazz is not dance music, generally,  I didn't play with a drummer, and I wanted people to be able to talk to each other without shouting.  All of these things spell moderate volume. I haven't seen the schematic, but based on the price point, these are more than likely made up of op-amps, which are linear integrated circuits.  Integrated circuits were used originally in the U.S. space program where they needed durablity, and reliability in electronic components.  Some tube guys will probably think that these amps sound too clean, and sterile.  I disagree.  These amps were designed well. They have a decent sound.  If you want a particular distortion sound, go get a pedal with the distortion sound that you like, and put it on the front end, before the amp.  Raven Amps were a good deal.  They cost less than the name branded amps with the same amount of power.  I've used my Raven 20 watt amp on several gigs without any problems.  They are reliable and they sound good.  Don't let the brand name, or the price fool you.  They're a good deal.  

Gosh - you sound amazing! Jazz must be really hard with those clean tones and such!

• Members
On 12/7/2020 at 4:19 AM, k.Teel said:

Welcome to a zombie thread about a POS amp that no one cares about. And welcome to Harmony Central in general.

• Thanks 1

• Members

I have to disagree as well, I've been using a Raven RG 20 for the 13 years I've been playing (it was used years previous to my possession), and even after hearing about Peavey, EVH, and Orange or Marshall, I personally think the Raven I have is fine. Not the greatest tone you can get but the quality is still amazing after many years of use, unlike some amplifiers that are cheap like the Raven.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I looked at the Guitar Center in New Jersey on line, had a raven app I'd never heard of RAVEN before, I bought it for $95, 60w 112 It had the sweetest sound OMG I've ever heard of a solid state sound almost like a tube I'm keeping it forever what a great investment