Blackstar ht-5 first mods!!!

sunntone

• Members

yeah I don't use the clean on this amp, just the drive channel.

I am wondering now if I've damaged the Mullard 12ax7 will I was testing it, I fired it up with the power transformer misconfigured and blew the fuse with the mullard in circuit... now I'm wondering if it's damaged...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yeah I don't use the clean on this amp, just the drive channel.

I am wondering now if I've damaged the Mullard 12ax7 will I was testing it, I fired it up with the power transformer misconfigured and blew the fuse with the mullard in circuit... now I'm wondering if it's damaged...

I thought you just cranked it wide open and it sounded great.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

BUMP! Keep the info coming. I love tinkering with stuff and was wonder how long it would be before people started modding these HT-5's...I just got the HT-5 and I am loving it I also just finished my first cab build ever just for the AMP. It is a Marshall 1960 rep.

cab19.jpg

theDogger

• Members

Two things to note:

1) you will still have to connect the center tap (red wire) from the hammond to the board at position SP6 on the main board (this is where you'll already have removed the center tap lead from the stock OT. Hammond says that since the OT is made for both single ended and A/B(push pull) operation that this center tap can be taped off in a single ended application. I found that this is not the case and the amp will only produce sound with the center tap connected.

2) You will have to drill a new output jack hole for the new OT, as the stock jack connector lug will not receive the secondary leads from the OT, these leads are not defined which is + and - you can put them at either lug on the speaker and it will work OK. I simply put in a new jack and set the leads for an 8 ohm output and voila we have a much improved amp!

I will try to post some pics later if anyone wants to see them

cheers

You have some better pics of the wiring for this mod?

theDogger

• Members
What I'd like is to replace the 1x12"/4x12" switch with one that mutes the speaker, so you can have line out with speaker muted, or both on - one for recording, one for live.

:thu:this for sure! And even a single separate tone control would be cool on the clean channel.

• Members

and maybe a 3 position dip switch or something for the cabinet emulation: off/1x12/4x12. That's probably gonna have to be a manufacturer revision.

I'd like to use my own cab impulses in the DAW. Though I'm pretty sure someone on here who did a clip added an impulse for a v30 4x12 and it sounded good.

What I'd really like to see is a 10W one of these in a 1x12" combo with a greenback or something. That would be smoking! Add in the switch for line out muting and be able to turn cab emulation off completely and I'd throw an extra

• Members

I like the amp as is and use an AM Orange Squeeze to get perceived clean headroom. I'd be afraid that any mod might take away a little bit of what I like. Still, I think it's cool when people mod gear...it becomes a customized sound. Also, it would be helpful to have a switch to allow lineout while using a speaker, but if I need an amp tech, I may as well buy a second one and run them dual for this purpose.

• Members

I still want to know why mine doesnt seem to be as responsive to guitar volume changes as my Laney, its not the guitar before you say it. Any ideas?
:idk:

I tried my LP standard today (usually use the Ibanez AR2000VV) and my volume knob was VERY responsive. I rolled back my neck pickup on the gain channel and got a very nice clean tone. One thing I noticed is that the british side reacted better than the american side using the emulation direct into a board.

• Members

only issue i have with mine is how buzzy the drive channel sounds..no darkness or warmth..just really brash.

picked it up today, the combo..and its going back..not happy at all.

Try it through a different cab before you take it back.

I wasn't going to buy one til i did that. Still got the combo and am on the lookout for a new speaker for it.

• Members
Try it through a different cab before you take it back.

I wasn't going to buy one til i did that. Still got the combo and am on the lookout for a new speaker for it.

the stock speaker is really stiff in the cabs and takes quite a while to loosen and warm up.

• Members
Isn't a 5 watt 1x10 combo smaller and less powerful than a 100 watt 1x12 combo?? I don't think there's a joke in there, just guy wanting a small combo for when he's at school.

lol usually insinuates something funny, right? I don't see the joke behind wanting a smaller low output amp for dorm life.:wave:

• Members

^ Think about it...The idea of a 1x12 100w mesa nomad in a dorm is a bit comical. Having experienced dorm life first hand, I can just imagine the conflicts it would cause and that thought brings a smile to my face. :) Dorm conflict can be pretty funny sometimes...guess you had to be there.

• Members
^ Think about it...The idea of a 1x12 100w mesa nomad in a dorm is a bit comical. Having experienced dorm life first hand, I can just imagine the conflicts it would cause and that thought brings a smile to my face.
:)
Dorm conflict can be pretty funny sometimes...guess you had to be there.

but he isn't planning on taking it to college because it is overkill.

Archived