MySpace is dead?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

facebook is great... it's more personal, the fans are real and the sound quality is much better than myspace... it's also much easier to use.

I like the customization of myspace, but it is getting worse and worse.

I still think it is very important to have a myspace page for booking shows and getting into festivals... lots of fans, nice layout, good music and past tour dates are all very important assets in getting booked into major festivals, myspace still works well for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If a band has a website with their own web domain, other web outlets (i.e. YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and just happen to have a MySpace page, they're legit.

If a band has only a MySpace page, and nothing else, they're just {censored}. Don't waste your time on them.

• Members

Myspace as a social networking site is most definitely losing a lot of ground to Facebook.

But Myspace is still huge in terms of a music discovery site. The first thing most people do when checking out a band is listen to tunes on their Myspace.

I would say, make sure to get yourself a Myspace profile and stream your songs on it. But don't make it your only online presence.

If people decide they like your stuff make sure to direct them to your website or a social networking site that you are active on, so that you can continue the conversation.

• Members

I, like so many others here, just use MySpace as a place to post my music - I keep my music profile wide open so non members and non friends can access it via the link I provide, and then I refer people to that link via Facebook or other sites.

No one has mentioned Soundclick here. I have a song on the pop rock charts here, but from what I understand the charts and how people top them are a bit dubious.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9063525

I also have some live videos on YouTube but harder to promote studio recordings w/o making a video to go with it. I have the tools to do that and/or just put some BS photos on the music to make it a "video" but don't know how much traffic I could get.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Another big mistake Myspace made was giving too much control of the look

and feel of pages to the users.

This resulted in a plethora of really badly designed web pages which turned a lot of people off.

Facebook is not so stupid ... they control the look of their site so all pages have a similar layout and

color scheme, making it easier for users to see and understand what's going on.

Selling out to Murdoch probably wasn't such a good idea either.

Neither he nor any of his executives seem to have even the remotest clue about the internet.

Myspace executives started leaving early in 2009 when the writing was on the wall.

It's been a sinking ship ever since.

• Members

Privacy concerns, spending too much time on there, not feeling safe. I think it is so overated. I am a little older so that is just my opinion. It get's boring after awhile.

It does get boring after awhile. I like looking at people's pictures and keeping up with old friends but Twitter-like status updates are usually mundaneX1000.

Who gives two {censored}s what you are having for dinner. Or the score of your kid's ball game. When they win a tournament or something, post that. Not every flipping game.

• Members

Another big mistake Myspace made was giving too much control of the look

and feel of pages to the users.

This resulted in a plethora of really badly designed web pages which turned a lot of people off.

Facebook is not so stupid ... they control the look of their site so all pages have a similar layout and

color scheme, making it easier for users to see and understand what's going on.

Selling out to Murdoch probably wasn't such a good idea either.

Neither he nor any of his executives seem to have even the remotest clue about the internet.

Myspace executives started leaving early in 2009 when the writing was on the wall.

It's been a sinking ship ever since.

I agree about the layout. Some people put some much garbage and apps on their page that my old P4 PC would lock up. I found it extremely irritating. I don't care about your stupid Twilight theme, where are your photos, videos and music?

• Members

Privacy concerns, spending too much time on there, not feeling safe. I think it is so overated. I am a little older so that is just my opinion. It get's boring after awhile.

Although it's not easy, Facebook can be configured to keep a users privacy intact.

I disable everything, even the wall. Don't accept any application stuff.

I put no personal info ..... No stupid games etc etc.

All that stuff is bull{censored} and I want no part in it.

I just use it like giant electronic address book.

And it's hooked me up with quite a few long lost friends .

I don't understand why people get so involved with all the Facebook crap

and then delete their Facebook account because they're spending too much

time there.

Why not just not spend so much time on it?

You can still have an account without getting involved in all the Facebook bull{censored}.

It's handy to have an account for staying in touch with friends but no need

to let it take over your life.

Also a good place to put up a band page.

• Members

Although it's not easy, Facebook can be configured to keep a users privacy intact.

I disable everything, even the wall. Don't accept any application stuff.

I put no personal info ..... No stupid games etc etc.

All that stuff is bull{censored} and I want no part in it.

I just use it like giant electronic address book.

And it's hooked me up with quite a few long lost friends .

I don't understand why people get so involved with all the Facebook crap

and then delete their Facebook account because they're spending too much

time there.

Why not just not spend so much time on it?

You can still have an account without getting involved in all the Facebook bull{censored}.

It's handy to have an account for staying in touch with friends but no need

to let it take over your life.

Also a good place to put up a band page.

Agreed - I like to use it to keep up with old friends. The way people go through email addresses and cell phone numbers these days, it is nice to have a place where you can find people.

Shamedly, I do use a Facebook fan page to promote my radio show, although I'm not fond of the "all sell" persona I take on there. It is a necessary evil though.:facepalm:

Of course, this from a guy who also uses the logo from his show as his HC avatar....:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think MySpace went down because whenever you went to someone's page it took forever to load and there was a soundtrack of someone's music whether you wanted to hear it or not, which was very annoying. Facebook is nice, clean, and minimalist which is why it is succeeding.

That said it is a pretty sad situation when the only way to make any money is to perform, i.e. in a band. If you're not a performer you're pretty much sunk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think MySpace went down because whenever you went to someone's page it took forever to load and there was a soundtrack of someone's music whether you wanted to hear it or not, which was very annoying. Facebook is nice, clean, and minimalist which is why it is succeeding.

That said it is a pretty sad situation when the only way to make any money is to perform, i.e. in a band. If you're not a performer you're pretty much sunk.

Now if someone could create a nice combo between the 2. Now that would be perfect. Facebook is ok, but it is almost like being in a Walmart(bland). Myspace is the exact opposite:facepalm:

• Members

You are looking at 2 demographics. One to youths ages 12-25 for myspace

You can customize it the way you want! Meet anyone and everyone you want. And Tom is everyone's friend! LOL

Face book was origionally for college students ages 18-35

It is more limited. Better organized. Less Arty stuff and more about business. Facebook was more secure, but now is about par with Myspace

You know facebook only has 30-35% of the market. Myspace dominates the rest. 5% is other.

Archived