Soldering iron recommendations

Kuroyume

• Members

I'm tired of el-cheapo 25W soldering irons - especially for soldering ground wires to pots! I want to order a soldering iron workstation online (as I'm nowhere near any place that might carry something like this). Here's one that I'm eyeing:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Hobbyist-Yourselfer/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=pd_sim_t_5

I'm not doing this professionally, only for modifications.

Thanks!

• Members

I have something similar except mine is a radio shack version of that.. has 20w/40w switch which is cool and it works ok for my needs. I use it to mod guitars and for school electronic projects. Built a 17 volt power supply last semester. Turned out really well

• Members

Weller make good irons.

My advice is to buy the best you can afford. I have a midrange 25W Weller that's great. I also have a cheap 65W iron. I haven't tried, but I get the feeling it would struggle to solder the back of a pot. I bought it because I couldn't find replacement tips for my Weller but the cheap iron seems to be lacking majorly in comparison to the Weller.

I imagine you'd be fine with that soldering station but if you plan to solder more than the occasional wire here and there, I'd consider maybe having a look higher up their range.

• Members

Mine is a Snap On 30W (I think). It came with 3 tips. A chisel, a large point and a small point. I've had it so long I forgot what I paid. Last I checked I can still get tips for it. But I haven't needed to replace the tips that came with it. Damn good iron.

• Members

Harbor Fright (Freight) has an inexpensive adjustable soldering station that is good for occasional use. If you plan on more than occasional use, then you would be justified in purchasing a more expensive iron.

For my own use, I use a 40 W for everything except heavy jobs where I get out a 150 W soldering gun.

• Members

I'm thru with the cheaper irons and finally I purchased the red weller station (including iron) that you have a link to last summer. Mine was about $55. So far I've completed an amp from the ground up and some repair and mod stuff with it. The variable wattage control saves headaches for me. Can do delicate transistor work with lower heat or turn it up to solder a ground wire to a trem claw or pots. I am not doing heavy soldering all day every day but it ought to last for my needs. Good luck with yer projects...

• Members

I went for the weller 40W station. It is nice that it has an assortment of replacement tips that can be purchased as well. I read very bad things about the Radio Shack 40W station (can't replace the tip) so that was a no-go.

With the help of a friend who has a 40W station, I was able to finish the pickup swap in my Strat (original singles to vintage noiseless). Soldering the ground wires to the pots was the most frustrating - kept popping off - until he showed me that you need to apply some solder to the pot first and then solder the wires to that. Never did that before - most of my pickup swaps were to existing pots where I reused the soldering point there (so it always worked just by luck). :)

• Members

I went for the weller 40W station. It is nice that it has an assortment of replacement tips that can be purchased as well. I read very bad things about the Radio Shack 40W station (can't replace the tip) so that was a no-go.

With the help of a friend who has a 40W station, I was able to finish the pickup swap in my Strat (original singles to vintage noiseless). Soldering the ground wires to the pots was the most frustrating - kept popping off - until he showed me that you need to apply some solder to the pot first and then solder the wires to that. Never did that before - most of my pickup swaps were to existing pots where I reused the soldering point there (so it always worked just by luck).
:)

You chose well:thu:

• Members

was unaware about the lack of replacement tips... that blows.. i really need to get another iron soon too

Google "Weller soldering iron tips"; no shortage that I'm aware of. Also, you can measure a tip with a caliper and use the measurements to buy other tips that aren't advertised as "Weller" but fit.

I have the Weller 40 watt station and if I had it to do over I would get a 60-80 watt and dial it back for "fine" work but when you need the heat you can't "dial up" a 40.

• Members

I have the Weller 40 watt station and if I had it to do over I would get a 60-80 watt and dial it back for "fine" work but when you need the heat you can't "dial up" a 40.

BTW, having said that I like the Weller station because it's adjustable, has a wire iron holder and a sponge/holder for cleaning the tip. There may be a brand out there that is as good or better but this unit offers a lot for the price and should be sufficient for 90% of the hobbiest's needs IMO.

• Members

I use a Weller WES51 and it rocks the house. My soldering joints have never looked better - definitely worth the $100. The awesome thing to me is that it heats up - from a dead stop - in less than 2 minutes. Plus it has the balls to solder pots day in and out without breaking a sweat. Also, the temp control is good to + or - 2 degrees so you can find the perfect temp for your particular solder and stick to it. I LOVE mine.

IMG_9906.JPG

• Members

I'm tired of el-cheapo 25W soldering irons - especially for soldering ground wires to pots! I want to order a soldering iron workstation online (as I'm nowhere near any place that might carry something like this).

For small/delicate work, the 25 W units work fine. I mostly use a 15 W unit.

But for heavier work (more metal needs more heat), I use the Weller 8200 gun.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103475848

I bought mine in 1968. It's 42 years old and it's still working. It heats up very quickly ... no long waiting time. And cools off quickly, too, because of the low mass tip.

Back then I paid $6 at Radio Shack. Today, Amazon has it for $37.

• Members

I need to consider a station. I want to move into amp & pedal mods/repairs & building. So the high buck Wellers are really worth the money? I'm too much of a cheap b@$t@%d to think about wasting $$ on something I'll need to replace in a year or two.

• Members

I've been using a 30 watt radio shack soldering iron for about 3 years now. It's decent, but it's {censored} for wiring pots. I just bought a 25 watt Weller SP23LK of ebay that comes with a flat tip that should make pots easier. For $14, including shipping, i don't see how it could go wrong.

• Members

The above workstation is excellent as I had spent a few years doing PC boards component level, warranty troubleshooting & repair in the Audio/Video field. But, "let me say this about that!" I would recommend something totally different, however, for most of us doing things only from time to time. I use a butane soldering iron that allows me to do very delicate PC board to heavy binding post soldering with my Audio-Video, Home Theater, & Custom Technology business and I won't go back, to the corded units, unless it's working at a bench all day long. I have a cold iron to soldering in about 45 secs, quick cool down, adjustable heat from very light (shrink tubes etc.) to heavy tacking or tining of 8 gauge wire we us for Theater speakers.

Weller makes a great unit (online about $50)

attachment.php?attachmentid=313204&stc=1

BTW, I would recommend at least a 40w iron for almost all work, with a few different tips from a point to a spade end. I was taught by some really production pros that most damage to delicate parts (from MosFETs) to PC board foil, is from too low heat for too long. Solder Hot, get in there, and then out FAST, and let things cool without any movement of the joint. Kind of like a dull knife is the one that cuts you the most often when it hangs up in the work I guess.

Also, The cleaner you can make the joint, rough all hard metal parts with 400 sandpaper and wipe with clean paper towel or acetone, the better your joint and least time with the iron on the work.

Hope that's of some help. Glad I don't have to sit at that bench like I did 25 yrs ago. Don't think I could do that all day anymore.

Aster

• Members

They Xytronic unit that Guitar Fetish sells is actually really good.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xyniprsost0w.html

I've got one that my girlfriend bought for me from another source, but its' the same station. The thing heats up quickly is very consistent in heat, and the tips aren't too hard to find (not as easy as Weller though).

You can get that same station on E-Bay occasionally for around $60-$65 shipped.

Archived