What was your first guitar????

woody b

• Members

What was your first guitar? >1967 Martin D-18

How old were you? > 8 years old (1972)

Do you still have it? > yes, I'll never sale it

How did you get it? > Christmas gift

How old are you now? > 39

My Dad bought it used from a Man he was building a house for.

He paid 50 bucks for it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A Sunburst plywood Kay POS with strings 6" off the fretboard:D

I was 14 years old in 1968. Purchased from my ancient old guitar teacher. Heavy Gauge strings, which he said would be good for building calouses and strengthening my fingers.

Cost about $70 or so.

It's long gone. Traded it towards my first electric, a used '64 Solid Body Kalamazoo Epiphone which I found a picture of on the Vintage Guitar Guy's Epiphone section on his great site. I still have it , although the frets are really shot. I put mediums and upped the action for slide. Plays and sounds great. Whoops...I told you about my first two guitars.

:);)

• Members

Stella Harmony, red burst would describe the color. Nice looking guitar, plays pretty rough though. I was 12 when I got it

It was my Dad's and purchased back in the early to mid 60's from JCPenney I think.

I use it as my beater guitar.

• Members

What was your first guitar? >Kramer Electric (model unknown)

How old were you? > 12-years-old (1999)

Do you still have it? > no

How did you get it? > family friend let me borrow as long as i wanted until i decided to give it back

How old are you now? > 15

• Members

My first guitar was an old 1930's Gibson.It was my great-grandfather's guitar which I had found in the attic of their old house.It was really beat up.But it was a 1930's Gibson in sunburst.It was pretty plain looking except for the finsish.but I remember it being a Gibson.I was 7 and used to try to play it all the time, finally my dad was arguing about something.I can't remember who he was arguing with.I think my mom.He finally threw the guitar at the wall and nothing was left but a broken soundboard and braces.I know the guitar was a 1930's Gibson because I remember going to a dealer and him talking abou it and I saw it on the headstock.The guitar was in bad shape.It had been sitting under a bunch of junk in it's case in an abandoned house in an attic closet for years.The soundboard was coming loose from the sides and it was falling apart.The case had rotted and the guitar was in really bad shape.

• Members

Geez...my first guitar? Some no-name Korean Stratocopy that I thought was the coolest thing ever.

For one year.

Then I swapped it for a one-pickup Kramer Stryker, which gave way to some variety of Ibanez which was later supplanted by a neon-yellow Charvel. Leave me alone, it was the early 90's and that kind of stuff was okay! Anyway, the Charvel went bye-bye and I got my first 'good' guitar--a 1987 Fender Strat Plus, also yellow. I kept that thing for 8 years and had to sell it when my fiance and I broke up. She took the furniture, left her bills :rolleyes: . I made do with a Washburn D21s for a while, but had to later sell it as well. I was then guitarless (for too long), but then I got the parts-beast Tele from whence came my forum name. It too has left my hands--a birthday gift for a person just starting to learn how to play :D

I bought a Tacocaster (MIM Strat) and quickly followed with my Alvarez jumbo. Then I got an Epiphone Biscuit, found I didn't really like it after a while and sold it. I used some of the proceeds to fund the purchase of my Guild D4 which I'm currently debating selling.

Next on the list? I'm debating--either a Martin 000-15 or a Larrivee OM / L-05.

Wait, you just wanted to hear about the first one? My bad.:o

• Members

My first guitar was a classical Hopf, made in Germany in early 70s. Now, I don't understand how I ever played it, now that I have a martin and a couple of larrivees as my favorites. But I keep the Hopf, for sentimental reasons and because it has no value anyway. But it sounds terrible.

• Members

Some no-name, untunable, unplayable pos. Bought as a Christmas gift by my well meaning Grandmother. Then a few years later, a gift from my older sisters boyfreind, a Silvertone Les Paul copy. Tunable, playable, but sounded like SH*t. The first real guitar, I bought myself was a $200.00 classical. With the nylon strings, it didn't hurt too bad to play. Then I saw a 1969 Gibson 12 string. I paid for it in blood. It made me a living for several years. I still have it, and it is still a wonderful guitar. The guitars to follow were... Les Paul Deluxe, Guild D-44M (still have), Gibson SG (still have), and most recently a Breedlove C-22 (a far cry from that first peice of unplayable crap).

• Members

Some no-name, untunable, unplayable pos. Bought as a Christmas gift by my well meaning Grandmother. Then a few years later, a gift from my older sisters boyfreind, a Silvertone Les Paul copy. Tunable, playable, but sounded like SH*t. The first real guitar, I bought myself was a $200.00 classical. With the nylon strings, it didn't hurt too bad to play. Then I saw a 1969 Gibson 12 string. I paid for it in blood. It made me a living for several years. I still have it, and it is still a wonderful guitar. The guitars to follow were... Les Paul Deluxe, Guild D-44M (still have), Gibson SG (still have), and most recently a Breedlove C-22 (a far cry from that first peice of unplayable crap).

• Members

It was some little parlor-sized no-name acoustic (with a K on the headstock but I dunno what it means) with the crappiest laminated soundboard I've ever seen. It was my mom's that she used to try and play puff the magic dragon on. I picked it up as a lil tike sometime during '78 or '79 when I was about 9 years old and she made me take lessons. After that, she got me my own little acoustic guitar that was hard to play and gave me real nasty callouses.

I'm 34 now and have since adopted various lower-quality guitars save my Kramer and Strat which were both purchased as new. My mom still has that parlor guitar sitting in her closet with no strings, a busted tuning key and the finish is all chipped up and bare in spots. The top is perfectly flat, though and apart from nicks and dings there is no sign of a need for a neck reset.

• Members

It was a peavey "tupelo". that name cracks me me up, it sounds like the epitome of {censored}iness. It wasn't so bad though. It was functional and made a noise as good of a one as I could get out of it.

I kind of let some body borrow it and said I wasn't sure if I was going to let them keep it or not, its been about 4 or 5 months. He had been playing for like 2 months and he was actually progressing really well, but he was playing a beat up parlor type guitar. I felt so bad for him just looking at the thing. the action was at least 3/4" high and the intonation wasn't even good enough for open chords to sound even halfway decent. It didn't even have a saddle in the slot and the bridge looked like it was ready to pop off. it was made in korea and 20+ years old, so I told him he could borrow and possibly keep my old guitar if we could play a game of baseball with his guitar and some rotten oranges... it was glorious. We exploded a few rotten oranges, and that little sucker made the loudest noise you could believe. Dogs everywhere were going nuts. He was the first person to actually do enough damage to get a significant amount of orange inside of it. We played rotten-orange baseball with it untill it was no longer. He took some pictures but I never got to see them. He salvaged the tuners and a few other parts to make a collage which I also haven't seen yet.

• Members

What was your first guitar? > Aria AW200

A dreadnought, made in Korea and, according to the label, is a jumbo

How old were you? > 19

Do you still have it? > yes

How did you get it? > bought it for myself

I had been enjoying the music of Suzanne Vega for many years when I saw a documentary on Bert Jansch. After that, I knew I just had to get a guitar. I took a friend along with me that could play, and he basically chose it for me. It did me proud too and may still serve as a campfire guitar, but I doubt it -- that's one of the Guild's duties!

How old are you now? > 32

And tomorrow will be the first anniversary of my Lakewood - whoda thunk it? What a GREAT year it's been. It will be getting a fresh set of strings on tomorrow in celebration.

Cams

• Members

It was some sort of classical guitar that had been strung (by a previous owner) with extra light steel strings. the neck was a bit bowed, and the action high, but it was somewhat playable. I think my folks bought it for $50 from a friend. I sold it for $50 (to a friend in college who inexplicably LOVED the tone of it) to finance the purchase of a new Sigma for $200 without the case. I played a lot of guitars up to $500 new and used, and was mostly underwhelmed until I played that Sigma. 13 or so years later I still have it and it still sounds good to me, but I am lusting over a solid Auditorium body like a 000-15, or an L-03. I think I'm due, but onfortunately, my finances say otherwise. I'm sure glad I still like my old Sigma, which I consider to be my first "real" guitar because a new guitar is not in my forseeable future.

• Members

What was your first guitar? > Made in Mexico Stratocaster

How old were you? > 40 (believe it or not)

Do you still have it? > yes (use it for electric slide mostly)

How did you get it? > Given to me by my boss (nice boss huh)

How old are you now? > 43 (don't remind me)

;)

• Members

My first guitar was this small $70 acoustic..I think it was a yamaha, but I don't remember. I was 14 and now I'm 26. But after that little crappy acoustic, my dad gave me his really old Harmony archtop that he had when he took a few lessons from when he was little. I sold the little acoustic and now my dad kept the Harmony now that I have real guitars :D.

• Members

I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent with my first post and didn't even answer the questions:o

What was your first guitar? > A Peavy "Tupelo" (an acoustic)

How old were you? > 18

Do you still have it? > kind of

How did you get it? > I procured it from my mother

How old are you now? > 21, and I why does it matter huh?:mad::p its weird being one of the only young people that frequents here not having played all that long and talking like I actually know something when its mostly just regurgitating information that answers questions that get asked all the time

• Members

I bought a Takamine thin-body acoustic/electric back in the mid-80's for $300 from a pawn shop, made weekly payments. It was in perfect shape, looked like it had rosewood back & sides and a spruce top, good action. I played it very rarely as I only knew a few tunes that I learned when I was 9 or 10. (Man if I had only stuck with it from that age....) I sold it about a year and a half ago for $300 to a guy I met at an open mic night. He couldn't get over the tone and it sounded great plugged in. The way he's gushed about it since makes me wish I had kept it.

• Members

Originally posted by SpoonyJank

its weird being one of the only young people that frequents here not having played all that long and talking like I actually know something when its mostly just regurgitating information that answers questions that get asked all the time

Same feeling here...:D ~EH

• Members

Originally posted by SpoonyJank

I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent with my first post and didn't even answer the questions:o

What was your first guitar? > A Peavy "Tupelo" (an acoustic)

How old were you? > 18

Do you still have it? > kind of

How did you get it? > I procured it from my mother

How old are you now? > 21, and I why does it matter huh?
:mad::p
its weird being one of the only young people that frequents here not having played all that long and talking like I actually know something when its mostly just regurgitating information that answers questions that get asked all the time

thats ounds like what im doing! haha

Archived